Situational awareness cameras for marine use

Oly1

So I searched through a bunch of threads looking for some advise on the use of cameras for situational awareness on boats. Didn’t find much and was wondering if anyone else was using something like this.
When I’m fishing on my back deck it’s hard to see forward. Not bad when there is not a lot of other boats around but will become increasingly difficult when you increase boat traffic. Especially during the summer
months in congested waters.

My boat is a 22 foot Double Eagle with command bridge and Alaska bulkhead. It has a 5.7 with hydraulic steering and a kicker with Panther steering on a swim grid. No rear station (yet) as the ladder for the command bridge takes up the space needed for that. If I can find a sliding back door, might be able to move the ladder and have room. Only a couple smaller windows with view forward. I know larger windows will help and will be in the near future. Looking over the roof is not happening as the command bridge is there, so looking around the sides and through the small windows is it. When there is a few guys, one can be dedicated to being the driver and problem solved, especially if the weather is good and he wants to be on the command bridge. But fishing alone or a couple guys is tough.

Has anyone else had this problem and is anyone using forward cameras to a display? I was looking at a few online to get a picture of what they would be like. I see a few marine ones that are used for this purpose as well as security cameras for the rest of the time. As an example https://m.reolink.com/product/rlk8-800b4/

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Oly

My solution to that problem has been to have my kicker on a wireless remote for steering and throttle. No matter where I am on the boat I have control.
Using the Panther system and am happy with it.

So I searched through a bunch of threads looking for some advise on the use of cameras for situational awareness on boats. Didn’t find much and was wondering if anyone else was using something like this.
When I’m fishing on my back deck it’s hard to see forward. Not bad when there is not a lot of other boats around but will become increasingly difficult when you increase boat traffic. Especially during the summer
months in congested waters.

My boat is a 22 foot Double Eagle with command bridge and Alaska bulkhead. It has a 5.7 with hydraulic steering and a kicker with Panther steering on a swim grid. No rear station (yet) as the ladder for the command bridge takes up the space needed for that. If I can find a sliding back door, might be able to move the ladder and have room. Only a couple smaller windows with view forward. I know larger windows will help and will be in the near future. Looking over the roof is not happening as the command bridge is there, so looking around the sides and through the small windows is it. When there is a few guys, one can be dedicated to being the driver and problem solved, especially if the weather is good and he wants to be on the command bridge. But fishing alone or a couple guys is tough.

Has anyone else had this problem and is anyone using forward cameras to a display? I was looking at a few online to get a picture of what they would be like. I see a few marine ones that are used for this purpose as well as security cameras for the rest of the time. As an example https://m.reolink.com/product/rlk8-800b4/
https://m.reolink.com/product/rlk8-800b4/
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Oly

depending you could use a cheap ebay reversing camera one with out the grid lines
but you do need to get steering and throttle control to the rear or lower helm ....
and don't forget P.Auto Air horn when on special ... give 'em a warning blast lets them know your there as a few think it ok to collide .. utter dorks......

Thats what fishing buddies are there for------ LOOK OUT ! YOU ARE HEADING INTO A BC FERRY !!!! LOL

I just hang out the side of the boat and tuck my head under the door once in a while to get a straight ahead view. I did want to do this too actually. Not a chance your view is as bad as mine and I fish solo often.

I can imagine all kinds of scenarios with a forward looking camera will make you want to get your eyes out front anyway.

My neighbors Kingfisher 2725 has a rear helm steering station and the sight lines are horrible when trolling around. he needs something like this
I hate the view on kingfishers. You have to look through the washroom, so you are looking through three pieces of glass to the see ahead which can cause some bad reflections. Also, the washroom door has a mirror which can completely mess with you when you see a boat reflection in it. I really wish the washroom was on the opposite side of the rear helm steering station

Another option to consider is use your radar overlay while trolling to see other boats on the same screen you’re already watching to fish with.

looking thru the boat constantly (and ducking if you’re tall) is a killer on the back. You may want to invest in a seating solution that keeps you comfy and allows full vis thru the cabin.

Must be my gillnetting past, where you steer the set from the aft next to the drum, but uninterrupted sight lines from the rear station is critical. I don't care how great the rest is the boat is, bad sight lines is a deal breaker.
It's a real head scratcher how a 'fishing' boat could overlook this.

Back