V2V ferry shuts down

Bout time. Isn’t it cheaper to fly harbour air than it was to take that ferry? But man, I’ve seen that boat cut through rough water like butter

One less big wake for me to worry about off Mouat Channel, inside waters, Oak Bay. I don't like to see any business fail though.

It would of been a nice trip to make for a weekend trip with my wife to the big smoke. We don't get off the rock much.

I had hoped they could make a go of it, but it was expensive. You could go one way much faster (30 min vs 3 hours) and cheaper ($99 vs $120) via Harbour Air. However they were trying to provide a luxury service for tourists, which they thought was a viable market. Apparently not.

As an aside, back in the early 90's a company ran a cat on the same route (SeaLink) that was run as a commuter. If I recall, think then standard fair was $40, and if you worked in the hospitality industry or was a student, they did a deal where is was about half price. I took it quite a few times commuting back to Victoria for weekends while I was at BCIT. It was a great service, and during a big Juan de Fuca westerly against tide, was very exciting navigating Enterprise Channel. It tasted about 3 years I think.

Last edited:
I actually rememebr when the royal sealink shut down. The government put up a lot of red tape for the business to operate. Clipper acquired the boat and mysteriously shortly after BC Ferries has a had an idea for fast cat service. See where this is going...? If they can successfully run a cameraman from Seattle to Vic they can do a Vancouver to Vic service. The question is does Clipper want to acquire the boat and crew. Pretty big opportunity to pass up if you ask me. It is right next to there terminal and the dock they have isn't very good.

Prime for a refit to a luxury yatch.

It would be nice if there was a no nonsense alternative to the mainland. Just put in a bench and a bathroom no ******** cruise ship style interior/prices. Islanders see it as transportation not a sight seeing tour where you need a $12 coffee and $25 dollar restaurant lunch.

My brother and his wife took this boat last summer when visiting from Toronto. They said it was nice but empty.

It reminds me of the Toronto airport express train that travels between the airport and downtown Toronto. Union Pearson Express they call it. When it first opened they were charging $27.50. Very few people used it. Just too expensive, especially when the same trip, albeit slower, could be made for a few bucks on the city bus. They since dropped the price to 12.50 and now every train is full.

Not sure why the V2V didn’t try a similar thing. I sure won’t miss it though. The captains had little regard for the boats fishing the waterfront, punching the throttle as soon as it cleared the end of Ogden point. Nearly got swamped one trip as it kicks off a good 3-4 foot swell. Easily solved by waiting another 100yards to clear the boats before punching the throttle. Called once to talk to them about it and they gave me the run around. Wasn't too impressed.

Last edited:
Back