Fish Bonker

ya kids t ball bat is my friend. ping ping ping

I have a length of lead filled copper pipe (too narrow-leaves a dent), the handle end of an old ash baseball bat (too light), and a kid's aluminum bat (too long).
They all work.
But then I saw the end of this movie the other day.....? Spoiler alert.

I have a ironwood bonker that I have used for years-- it was made by a friend of mine. But recently I was given a cutdown fiberglass sledgehammer handle. Dont spend good money on buying the fancy ones from the stores. Look around first.

My dad gave me one of these a few years ago, I thought I had the only one lol. Never used it but feels like it would put a moose to sleep.

Mines what AIK stated, 15"-18" piece of 2" dowel with hole drilled in end and filled with lead. Carved a few finger groves in other end and of course the always put your hand thru the rope loop is installed. Can vary weight by amount of lead poured in. No real cost so when someone accidently drops over side while bonking a hali or ling no big deal, make another. Cabelas has the glow fancy ones on their boxing day sale.

HM
This is what I do with a hickory sledge hammer handle. For a grip I do 100 half hitches over the handle

Are you guys bonking fish or sea lions?
Haha yeah my 16” +/- long piece of hickory lacrosse stick works fine or I’ll use the dumb side of the gaff. I don’t really see a need for the lead fill

Last edited:
Haha yeah my 16” +/- long piece of hickory lacrosse stick works fine or I’ll use the dumb side of the gaff. I don’t really see a need for the lead fill
When I say lead filled I mean maybe 3-4 oz of lead. No it is not a whale/seal club??? Weight just gives the end the little extra bonking/striking power. Think I used a 3/4 spade bit and drilled in maybe 2". Sorry if guys minds thought lbs of lead.

HM

a tip for getting the lead to stay put, after boring your 3/4" hole, put a stainless screw in half way. the molten lead will flow around the screw head while the threads are secure in the wood. as the molten lead burns the wood when you pour it in, it will loosen up and come flying out when you whack something without the screw.
I found this extra weight helped subdue halibut without repeated skull bashingsfullsizeoutput_11fc.jpeg fullsizeoutput_11fd.jpeg

The hickory axe handle that would. not. die.

IMGP0505.jpg

Old choker bells work great. If you know any loggers have them cut them of the right length and wrap the cable with rope or leather.

I second that emotion..... I just received the middle bonker and the long gaff from WCT. Beautiful craftsmanship.

Did you see the new galibut harpoons he makes... So nice!

Back