EZE loader tandem axle brakes

Jetblast

EZE loader tandem axle Brakes. Time again to do the brakes as they are corroded and fluid has leaked out. I have a 19.5 glasply hardtop that I estimate at 4000 lbs with fuel and gear and another 1000 lbs for trailer. I am out in sooke and at rv park with private ramp so 99% of my usage is in and out of water with no requirements for brakes. I hose off wheels and brakes every time I go into the salt water and they are toast after 3 years. My questions are where is the best place to buy new rotors, calipers and brake lines. What type to get. For the occasional time I tow should I just put brakes on one axle.

I have had good prices/service from these on line stores for brakes, bearings, seals, etc:
Cerka.ca
Hitchweb.com
Trailerparts.com

Sherwood Marine has a very good selection of brake components on the shelf and prices seem fair. I got the double lipped seals from Lordco. Brake line you can get made up by matching existing at the old Coast Industrial location..now named Green Line Hose. Just take old lines with you...they will make new to match. I had to switch my system to electric over hydraulic and got the conversion parts from E-trailer.com They were great to deal with and would use them again.

Personally I would make the investment in a set Disk brakes for your trailer. You’re under the weight required for Electric Over Hydraulic so your surge coupler would likely be fine to use again. It’s impossible to rinse a set of drums brakes as you’re all well aware of. In talking with a few trailer places when I swapped to discs, they all mentioned the flush kits that some drums have are garbage. Kodiak makes a stainless calipers that are worth the money. Dacromet coated rotors are just fine.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Kodiak/K2HR35DS.html

Last edited:
For surge discs you need a different coupler as the pressures are different (higher I think) than drums. My coupler says for disc brakes only.

If you live on private property with direct access to a private boat ramp, I would not worry about brakes at all. If however you need to travel on a highway, then it would be worthwhile to.
1) install a set of new brakes, good discs will set you back well over 1000$ if you do the work yourself, and religiously wash them off with fresh water and "salt away" every time you come out of the salt water 5-10 min. each time.
2) Depending on the overall condition of your present trailer, (rust etc) fix it up as denoted above and buy a cheap used trailer, even a single axle, with no brakes but big tyres (fenders, lights licence etc. who cares) and use it to launch at your present location. Use your reconditioned trailer (or a new one) for the few times you run it on the highway.

If you live on private property with direct access to a private boat ramp, I would not worry about brakes at all. If however you need to travel on a highway, then it would be worthwhile to.
1) install a set of new brakes, good discs will set you back well over 1000$ if you do the work yourself, and religiously wash them off with fresh water and "salt away" every time you come out of the salt water 5-10 min. each time.
2) Depending on the overall condition of your present trailer, (rust etc) fix it up as denoted above and buy a cheap used trailer, even a single axle, with no brakes but big tyres (fenders, lights licence etc. who cares) and use it to launch at your present location. Use your reconditioned trailer (or a new one) for the few times you run it on the highway.

We were fishing out of Prince Rupert a couple years ago. While waiting our turn at the ramp, there was an obvious local fellow launching his boat (25 to 26 foot) boat with a dual axle trailer. He had only two tires on the trailer. I’m assuming he had some issues with brakes , bearings etc and just decided to eliminate that problem. He must have lived close to the launch site.

Oly

Yeah, amazing what goes on in order to get on the water:). The only problem I can see for Jetblast would be park rules that he may have to follow.

Back