Local lake water temperatures

Langford showed 49. Only 8 to the net in about two hours. Missed several on the rested rod. Vampire Leech out fished boobies. Slow retrieve to static. Nothing over 16".

Interesting, one trout showed distinctive cutthroat slashes but otherwise clearly a rainbow.

I had a couple of great days on the lake around Thanksgiving but had not been able to get out since. With some of you still reporting decent days I decided to get out on Monday afternoon for a couple of hours ahead of this cold front that has moved in. I sure am glad I did! Hit the water about 2 o'clock and stayed until almost dark with 14 landed including a doubleheader! The water temp was 48 degrees which was about 10 degrees colder than last time I was out so wasn't sure if the action would be as good. What was interesting for me was that, both yesterday and on my couple of Thanksgiving trips, I was trolling much faster than I normally do with a full sink fly line. I thought maybe it was just a fluke earlier but it worked exactly the same yesterday. Be curious if anyone else has had similar luck trolling faster at this time of year. Anyway, here are a few pics from yesterday.

First fish of the day.

BK3.png

Twins on the doubleheader!

BK2.png

The screen just before the twins hit!

BK.png

Regarding Admins comment about speed above: I generally stay slow if moving at all, however a week ago I was fed up with the wind and decided to blast down to the leeward side of the lake. I just left my line out, full sinking with chartreuse headed vampire leech. I was surprised when my rod pounded. Turned out to be my biggest fish of the day, about 16". Kind of reminded me of skip fly fishing for coho in the boat wake. Lately my sounder has been showing fish everywhere. I think the wind we've been having lately has kept the water mixed.

44 F at Langford. No other boats, a few rises, a few shore fishers. Quiet.

Slow on Langford. One trout of about 3lbs. Surface temp actually popped up a degree on this mild day. How was parking been at Durrance?

Last edited:
Thetis 42 F. Sunshine and cold breeze, nothing else. Midges popping up here and there.

Are you guys seeing any fish cruising the surface much?

I’ve started replenishing my fly box, gonna get out there soon.

Last edited:
43 F at Langford. A few fish being caught. One for the frypan.:)

Last edited:
43 F at Langford. A few fish being caught. On for the frypan.:)

I was out there today. Light blue mirrocraft. I was trying to figure out how to get into all those fish feeding at the surface. Those big fat bugs on the surface definitely sparked some interest. Got frustrated so went back to dredging the bottom. Within 20 mins got one super scrappy 18"r, then got a pig. Didn't fight much. 5# 6 oz in net. Both released. Trying to recover pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20191215_171119.jpg
    IMG_20191215_171119.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 35
I was out there today. Light blue mirrocraft. I was trying to figure out how to get into all those fish feeding at the surface. Those big fat bugs on the surface definitely sparked some interest. Got frustrated so went back to dredging the bottom. Within 20 mins got one super scrappy 18"r, then got a pig. Didn't fight much. 5# 6 oz in net. Both released. Trying to recover pics.

I’ve had some success at Langford lake in this situation with a “lazy sink” fly line and soft hackle patterns. Not always, but sometimes it works. The line rides just under the surface tension.
Bigger fish cruising the surface feeding really gets my mojo going.

I’ve had some success at Langford lake in this situation with a “lazy sink” fly line and soft hackle patterns. Not always, but sometimes it works. The line rides just under the surface tension.
Bigger fish cruising the surface feeding really gets my mojo going.

I tried a dry. Thought it would be something to get a fish that way in the middle of December. Next time I'll that the "hover" line thats been sitting in the drawer a few years. Seems odd to see so many fat bugs when the water is in the low 40's.

I tried a dry. Thought it would be something to get a fish that way in the middle of December. Next time I'll that the "hover" line thats been sitting in the drawer a few years. Seems odd to see so many fat bugs when the water is in the low 40's.

ya, I don’t use that line much but this very scenario you described is why I bought it. Was driving me crazy that I couldn’t hook those big cruising fish that we’re taking emerging chironomids during the winter months. Give it a whirl. I’ve tried various soft hackle patterns. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But I was getting nothing doing the same thing with a floating line.

Still 43 but the air seems colder. Not very pleasant in a tin boat, but those fish ain't going to catch themselves. Wind drifted just off the bottom and picked up a 16" fatso right away. Got another after some time but decided to experiment with some different flies. Got a few gentle taps so I spead up the pace a tad with my motor. Boom Boom when the rods. Grabbed the nearest and had a great scrap while watching the other rod pound away in the holder, with line flying the other direction. Landed and releasea a 4# trout,(4# 12oz in net) the other got off. Two more good hits but they didn't stick.

43 on Alouette on Friday.

Was cold out there, sleet falling. Just a few shakers, nothing to the boat.

Might go back out when I can time a sunny day.

Langford up to 43.5 with all that heavy rain. Fish up in the top 10 feet. Slow stripping flies just under the surface was the ticket. Nothing over 20" but nothing under 16.:) I guess anything that won't fit down a cormorants will survive.

Langford up to 43.5 with all that heavy rain. Fish up in the top 10 feet. Slow stripping flies just under the surface was the ticket. Nothing over 20" but nothing under 16.:) I guess anything that won't fit down a cormorants will survive.

The Cormorants are a challenge. I spoke to one of the main guys at FFSBC about 3 years ago regarding the influx of Cormorants and he informed me that it is an ideal lake for them, as their is a number of tress on the two islands on Langford Lake that are perfect for them to roost and dry their wings. The buffet of small catch-able Rainbows was an obvious attraction for them as well. To counter their presence, and having them clean out the fall fish, they moved to a larger size of Rainbow for the fall stocking program. This prohibits the amount taken by the birds and the added bonus for us fisher types is they grow to be 3 or more pounds that much quicker! Here is the stocking report for 2019 in Langford.

Release Date Waterbody Name Nearest Town Species Strain Genotype Life Stage Avg. Size (g) Quantity

2019/10/02 LANGFORD LANGFORD Rainbow Trout FRASER VALLEY Triploid Fall Catchable 236.74g 2,500

2019/05/03 LANGFORD LANGFORD Rainbow Trout FRASER VALLEY Triploid Spring Catchable 188.63g 1,500

2019/05/01 LANGFORD LANGFORD Rainbow Trout FRASER VALLEY Triploid Spring Catchable 199.41g 1,500

2019/04/11 LANGFORD LANGFORD Rainbow Trout BLACKWATER R All Female Triploid Yearling 62.37g 1,000

I have also noticed a few of trout in the 3-5 lb. range are missing their left pelvic fin. I vaguely remember someone talking about the significance of that. A particular stocking I think.

Langford's down to 39.8. Water level is up a foot. Drifted flies near the bottom. Only caught a couple. Very subtle takes. A few guys were slaying them of the wharf with bait, but others were not.

Back