2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be rad but the torque would probably rip the gunnells off half our boats lol. I always keep the main idling when I use our ace hauler, it will definitely drain a battery after 4 traps.

What's this hands free thing to help coil line? That's the least favourite part of prawning for me. I have the latest version of the ace too, time to rtfm...

Yes the hands free helps coil the line without you having to bend over or touch the line. Must have in my opinion. I agree having the engine idling helps but remember that when an engine is at idle, from what I understand, the charging current is relatively low. It needs higher REVs in order to get enough juice back to your batteries. But still better than having the engine off. Just remember to slap a charger on the batteries after you get the boat home or back to the dock. If not you are going to go through batteries faster than normal and a weak/poor condition battery will put a lot of strain on your motor's charging system.

Yes the hands free helps coil the line without you having to bend over or touch the line. Must have in my opinion. I agree having the engine idling helps but remember that when an engine is at idle, from what I understand, the charging current is relatively low. It needs higher REVs in order to get enough juice back to your batteries. But still better than having the engine off. Just remember to slap a charger on the batteries after you get the boat home or back to the dock. If not you are going to go through batteries faster than normal and a weak/poor condition battery will put a lot of strain on your motor's charging system.

I idle my main primarily as it's running and I don't have some messing around to do to boost it. The run home is at least a half hour so they charge right up. I always have a charged lithium ion booster block with me in case I have to jump it as well. Last thing I want is to have to actually use my c tow membership lol

Going out for boxing day. Anyone else going to brave the wind forecast?

Going out for boxing day. Anyone else going to brave the wind forecast?

Had my boat already loaded and ready to go for boxing day earlier this week but then the forecast changed for the worse. Looks to be fairly snotty tomorrow with winds 15-25 by noon.

Ha...FridayWind variable 5 to 15 knots increasing to southeast 25 late in the day

Might see ya out there if I can get a "hall pass" ;).
Tomorrow all day.

The novelty of pulling weighted traps in by hand in chop and a current wears off real quick. Not sure about the Scotty but the Ace Brutus does a good job. I have the hands free attachment which makes coiling the line a bit easier. The hauler attaches to my Scotty downrigger base. I upgraded the fuse to handle the load.
what size fuse did u upgrade to?

Yeah. Fished HITW. Lots of grils, lost a line peeler. Got some prawns but encountered alot of females. The wind forecast was wrong.

Any reports from today?
No luck for us. Tunstall and Waterfall/Gardner 8-2:00 and not one hit. We didn’t see any nets either. There was a lot of porpoises at Tunstall, I’m not sure if that had anything to do with it. Beers were cold though.

Good haul of prawns but otherwise only one hit at Grace that I lost at the side of the boat while trying to eyeball it. I say it was a hair under o_O. Fished the falls all morning with zero action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back