White Rock Herring?

Very cool, I would be interested to know if they are anchovy. Not possible for me to tell from the picture. The giveaway with Anchovy is that their gill plates will flash when they open their mouths to feed... the school looks like there are little lights flashing in it. But... if they are getting hammered by predators they don't feed and the school does not flash. I suspect these may be Anchovy. There has been a recent surge in Anchovy abundance in the lower mainland, howe sound, and Puget Sound. These events where they seem to concentrate in shallow water and get hammered by predators in winter seem fairly common. We are at the northern end of their range and they are likely sucking wind in these cold water temperatures.

Very cool, I would be interested to know if they are anchovy. Not possible for me to tell from the picture. The giveaway with Anchovy is that their gill plates will flash when they open their mouths to feed... the school looks like there are little lights flashing in it. But... if they are getting hammered by predators they don't feed and the school does not flash. I suspect these may be Anchovy. There has been a recent surge in Anchovy abundance in the lower mainland, howe sound, and Puget Sound. These events where they seem to concentrate in shallow water and get hammered by predators in winter seem fairly common. We are at the northern end of their range and they are likely sucking wind in these cold water temperatures.

I was in Lund a month ago & the harbour was chock full of anchovies. Gill plates flashing everywhere.
Maybe another good year for predator fish in the straits.

They look like anchovy’s but hard to tell. Anyone down there been down in person? Seems like good opportunity to scoop some up, brine and freeze if they are!

Having seen some other pictures of this event now these are unambiguously Anchovy. These winter die off events are strange.

that's so strange they're all dying like that, but what an opportunity for us fishermen to go out there and scoop up some free bait!! Just go down at low tide and you can literally pick and choose the good sized and good quality ones!!

anyone go to white rock to scoop some up? I hear they are fairly small in size. Perhaps 3 inches or so.. May be too small for bait.

Last edited:
I suspect these may be Anchovy. There has been a recent surge in Anchovy abundance in the lower mainland, howe sound, and Puget Sound.

Can herring recover in these areas if there is an abundance of anchovies?

That was my question. Is this why the smelts are all gone too?
No.

Smelt populations have been decimated by Shrimp draggers and their fine nets- those 'picturesque' boats you see out in the SoG are stripping the water clean-too clean.

Bought any Shrimp off the dock at Steveston lately?

If you have then you're part of the problem.

No.

Smelt populations have been decimated by Shrimp draggers and their fine nets- those 'picturesque' boats you see out in the SoG are stripping the water clean-too clean.

Oh wow I had no idea. That sucks.

No.

Yeah - I do not know the openings for these bottom draggers but it is definately not an Ocean Wise program like that advertised for the Spot Prawn trap season. If DFO had half a brain they would ban bottom dragging in the SOG. Whenever I'm in Steveston (not often) I pop down to see what's for sale. I once saw a six gill shark for sale on one of the rape and plunder boats! I suspect there's even more stuff sold of those boats that shouldn't be and is never put on display for the public.

Back