Line for Mooching Reels

Aside from Changing up the lines, I may end up buying some new rods. I like the 9ft rods to make things easier to land the fish when I am solo. I have been using 9ft fibreglass blank trolling/mooching rods with med/heavy power and moderate/fast action. Seems to work OK for me. In terms of the power and action specs, is med/heavy power and moderate/fast action the typically config for salt water salmon fishing around these neck of the woods? Would a 9ft fibreglass blank medium power and moderate/fast action be underpowered and have too much flex for salmon fishing including the big white Chinooks that roll around the Fraser mouth late summer?

Aside from Changing up the lines, I may end up buying some new rods. I like the 9ft rods to make things easier to land the fish when I am solo. I have been using 9ft fibreglass blank trolling/mooching rods with med/heavy power and moderate/fast action. Seems to work OK for me. In terms of the power and action specs, is med/heavy power and moderate/fast action the typically config for salt water salmon fishing around these neck of the woods? Would a 9ft fibreglass blank medium power and moderate/fast action be underpowered and have too much flex for salmon fishing including the big white Chinooks that roll around the Fraser mouth late summer?
Other people might feel differently but personally I don't think that would be underpowered.

You're describing basically the exact rod we used for everything when I was a kid. I was never great at salmon because I was pretty little, but I would say 95% of the salmon my dad has landed in his life came in on a fast action, medium power 9. He casts a stingsilda-type jig so it's got enough stiffness to fling a 4oz lure, but no more. That's still his go-to rod for everything.

It's a pretty different fight than a fight on a 10-6 mooching rod, but is it underpowered? I don't think so. I guess it might depend on the individual blank as far as what constitutes "medium" power - there's medium and there's medium, depending on the company. There are mediums I find pretty light. I have to pick up a rod and feel the action to know if it "feels" medium to me. But in general I would say medium power, fast action 9 is a rod that will handle a lot.

You don’t need to fill your entire spool if you don’t want to. But, I use 30 pound neon green backing because it looks cool, 60 pound braid, 50ish’ of 30 pound mono. Double uni knot on mine. It clunked at first but I trimmed it back more and super glued it and it passes through smoothly now.
Learn the FG knot----extremely small diameter, and super strong. Not difficult, see YouTube.

x2 on the fg knot....
i run 150 yards of 65lb braid (half a spool), then fill the reel up with 30lb mono. i never get to the braid even on some big fish, and its a lot less line when the mono needs replacing

x2 on the fg knot....
i run 150 yards of 65lb braid (half a spool), then fill the reel up with 30lb mono. i never get to the braid even on some big fish, and its a lot less line when the mono needs replacing
Nice idea!!! I usually run 300 of 65# braid, and then a top shot of about 10 yards mono, need to re-think that.

Back