WTB 250 hp Yamaha or Suzuki 4 Stroke

seahorse

Crew Member
Just putting the word out that I'm looking for a used Yamaha or Suzuki 4 stroke outboard preferably less than 8 years old and under 1000 hours. I'm hoping someone is upgrading their engine or may have heard where there is a motor for sale. I was the successful bidder on that 1999 228G Seafarer from Verus Auctions a few weeks ago so looking for a main engine for that boat, thank you.

Congrats on the boat. Are you putting a stock style pod on it? How does the rest of the boat look?

call breakers in bamfield, talk to gord

Thanks, We will try to repair the existing pod although it’s cast aluminum. My son in law is a welder and millwright and feels we can built a 1 inch aluminum plate and bolt and weld to the pod and then bolt the outboard to that. The boat is in great shape, I have shampooed and cleaned the cuddy cushions and seats and spent about 10 hours to date cleaning the rest of the boat. It was stripped of everything but the helm pump is intact, all the hydraulics for the trim tabs are gone only vhf and stereo are left. But I knew it was a project just like when I rebuilt my 1967 MF135 Massey Ferguson tractor and engine back to showroom condition a few years ago

Last edited:
Great boat. You will love it. I have one too. 250 HP is ideal. The POD is pretty simple on the 228 so repairing it or replacing shouldn't be a difficult task. Good luck.

Just putting the word out that I'm looking for a used Yamaha or Suzuki 4 stroke outboard preferably less than 8 years old and under 1000 hours. I'm hoping someone is upgrading their engine or may have heard where there is a motor for sale. I was the successful bidder on that 1999 228G Seafarer from Verus Auctions a few weeks ago so looking for a main engine for that boat, thank you.

Congrats, great buy! :D Please post pics...

The final bid was $18,100 ended up being over $20,000 with taxes and the 7% auction fee. The trailer is a 2013 Road Runner, better than I expected, it needed repairs to get it to the island. Here are some pics...

Attachments

• GradyWhite1.jpeg
    GradyWhite1.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 253
  • GradyWhite2.jpeg
    GradyWhite2.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 238
  • GradyWhite3.jpeg
    GradyWhite3.jpeg
    531.3 KB · Views: 232
  • GradyWhite4.jpeg
    GradyWhite4.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 242
Yes that pod is an easy fix, like you say plate it and bolt. The factory pod lower bolts were threaded into the pod but you could drill them out. If you wanted added support where plate meets the edge fold the plate around the sides and bolt or weld. Had a factory pod on a Grady I had to raise the motor up using a 30 inch leg. So I had a shop plate it, they welded the plate all the way around drilled through the plate and factory pod and tapped threads for the bottom holes like the factory and top was bolted straight through as per normal. It held a 300 no problem. You can see the plate on the back of pod wraps around a bit.

Grady Boat Web 1.png

Before you add a plate you may want to get your motor first that way you could use a 25 or 30" adjusting the plate accordingly. Nice thing about a 30" is your tilt rams are pretty much out of the water and the power head is up a bunch from the water line. If I was to do it again I would do the same thing and put a 30" on and raise the motor as a 25" on a Grady sits to low in the water IMO plus next to no sea growth on any part of the motor :)

Interesting, thanks for the ideas, all good. Just curious, the Grady pictured above, was that originally a twin motor setup that you converted t0 a single engine setup?

No it was a single pod looked the same as yours, had the fiberglass swim grid that went over top. Kicker had it's own bracket and the steering was tied together with a bar in front.

Hi Mikep, could you private message his name and number to me, I would like to call him about the pod, thanks, Don

After that impact for peice of mind I'd remove and replace that pod.

At least buff off all the paint and test to see if it is cracked anywhere (which I would say is not repairable if there was).

On the ocean isn't the place to take the risks or cheap out. I'm sure we have all learned that lesson.

Back