best boat shelter 10' x 20'

jeffywestcoast

looking for a 10'x 20' boat shelter to put over the boat for the winter months .. Anyone have good or bad experiences with this ? are the Costco ones good enough ? been looking and can"t decide..

I have used the Costco ones for several years. The tarp lasts about 4 years then it’s time for a new one. Cheap storage. If you get one make sure to secure it to the ground. I used lag bolts into the fence on one side and put the metal posts into concrete patio blocks, the ones used for deck framing with a hole in the centre on the other side. It gets windy here and no issues. If it snows much rake it off the roof.

We have bit of a slope to the driveway so the front two post will have to be elevated a little, I have some deck blocks I think would work.Also I think the shelter logic 10x20 with the round top might be the way to go as it will match the house better.

Jeff I wouldn't go with the shelter logic I think they are weaker shelter. Nothing wrong with them just wouldn't expect to get more than a few years out of them. They used to be better. You can get the heavier duty ones they carry but usually they aren't in store.

The one I bought was from Adam's tarp and tool in Duncan. Midland might carry them not sure. The arched design holds up better for snow loads and wind and poles are heavy duty steel/powder coated.

I have one for about 5+ years now, and the cover still fine. If you drive by Adam's they have one set up in front.

Here are some ideas on previous thread....

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/portable-boat-shelter.42298/page-2

Last edited:
Yeah it on slope. Mine looks like this one. What I did is went to home depot and got those cement pads. Then just used hilti the flanges with concrete screws. It won't go anywhere.

upload_2019-12-7_20-45-43.png

You trap em up like this without a ground seal on the floor the heat from the enviroment within causes the moisture from the ground within the tent.this applys to another thread about sleeping on a boat.ventalation is your friend so leave a window open and a lock on the window and wipe down the ledge every couple days with the damp paper towel at the opening of the window.

Costco ones work fine, just keep the ends open to keep air circulating, take any boat canvas off and store it indoors to avoid mildew. Ask me how I know this. Clear snow off after about 4-5”, especially the lower mainland wet variety. The frame will last forever if you do this, the tarp material about 5 or so years, UV will eventually kill it, but you can replace it, the assembly instructions include contact info for parts etc.

Blocks I used are similar to Springvelocity however have the notches in them for deck joists. I only mention it as the holes in the blocks work for the Costco shelter poles size.

I meant how much for the shed $

I think it was around 400 or so... Just go in to Adams and ask. I don't leave doors on and mine so circulation is not a concern, and with blocks it raises it so the tarp material is not on ground like picture.

They have one set up in there front yard I think...

FYI also great about these ones if you ever want to raise roof it is dead easy. I purchased galvanized electrical pipe, and raised roof. So if you ever need to do it later is very easy/cheap.

Last edited:
I think it was around 400 or so... Just go in to Adams and ask. I don't leave doors on and mine so circulation is not a concern, and with blocks it raises it so the tarp material is not on ground like picture.

They have one set up in there front yard I think...

FYI also great about these ones if you ever want to raise roof it is dead easy. I purchased galvanized electrical pipe, and raised roof. So if you ever need to do it later is very easy/cheap.
Awesome man thats for the reply , im going to check them out for sure , i need something better then just a tarp and it is time getter done so to speak.

Have a round top Shelter Magic from cantire for a old truck and a rv/boat storage (round top) from Rhino Shelters for my boat (14x15x36). You get what you pay for! Rhino tarp and bracing are extra heavy duty compared to the Shelter magic. Both are 5-6 years old and never had an issue with heavy wet snow as the dome tops seem to shed the snow as it melts. I added my own vents as condensation builds up in them. Best to order dome top type shelter and vents if available. As mentioned, anchors them down just to be safe. Great to work on the boat in the winter with a heater buddy and a cup of coffee.

Ended up going with the shelter logic 12x20 , only because of price , onsale for 499,99 at C-tire .. the one from adams tarp n tool was 700$ , the shelter logic i purchased from c-tire was 799,99 onsale for 499,99 . I may take it down i spring but we will have to see , i know it is going to take up alot of the driveway but at this point i just want the boat
Protected from the elements , the 10x20 was only 8’ wide at the entrance door bottom , and 5.6ft across at the top of entrance so i didn’t want to chance it being to small, the boat is 7’ wide at widest point of the beam , with the 12x20 i am guaranteed enough room to walk around boat .. might be just a bit tight parking the wife’s vehicle beside the shelter but she is not home till monday and it will be built by then ..
57855219-A10E-4A93-ADFC-2042A55AABCF.jpeg

I measured with a tape the 12’ distance i need and with the shelter parallel with the drive but close as i can get it to the fence .. the rock under the bumper furthest to the right is possibly how far out into the driveway it will have to sit .., hopi g there is still enough room
For the wife’s SUV to park.. fingers crossed 9E7E8400-050E-4AE9-AA17-2FB05509C659.jpeg

Attachments

• 37FF4D07-19F2-4968-9481-2D78745D6DD5.jpeg
    37FF4D07-19F2-4968-9481-2D78745D6DD5.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I measured with a tape the 12’ distance i need and with the shelter parallel with the drive but close as i can get it to the fence .. the rock under the bumper furthest to the right is possibly how far out into the driveway it will have to sit .., hopi g there is still enough room
For the wife’s SUV to park.. fingers crossed View attachment 49503

The boat looks good in there, just enough room to walk beside it and the side of the shelter. Good call on the larger one. How did the wife’s SUV fit beside it , or are you moving in with the boat?

Oly

Back