Whale Watching Guide Charged - Too Close to Whales

So just curious because this happened to me two years ago. I was out fishing with my dad and son we noticed a group of humpbacks feeding in our general direction. We were the only boat around so we reeled up turned off the boat and watched them bubble feeding with great amazement. They came up 20-30 feet in front of us at one point what a stink not sure if it was their breath or my pants lol. They carried on feeding north of us once they were a few hundred yards away we went back to fishing. I hope I wasn’t in the wrong we didn’t position the boat to get in their way. It was just chance they surfaced right beside us

Had to catch him in an unmarked undercover operation, sounds like he's a repeat offender. I don't think the average fishermen/rec user needs to concern themselves with this.

I think the point of the regulation is to avoid, so drive slowly away from whales. It applies to all vessel operators. Humpbacks are actually quite dangerous to be in close proximity with because they often breach with no warning and my experience with them is they are not boat savvy.

Yeh I call Humpbacks the cows of the ocean...not to bright and not aware of their surroundings some of the time. I've never been keen on getting to close to them.

Had a group of orcas swimming beside AND under my boat about 2 years ago fishing out of north van island. Nothing I could do really, as the engine was off and I was near the shore. Just waited until they passed through. I don't think we'll face heavy fines for this kind of stuff since we're not chasing them around on purpose.

We really dont know the history of the case was he going in hard to cut them off?
etc as im sure if your sitting there and they come to you and let pass your not in violation .. there is a whale guy here in sooke who posts on fb all the time of them petting humpbacks ...I dont really know what to make of it but oh well

Had a group of orcas swimming beside AND under my boat about 2 years ago fishing out of north van island. Nothing I could do really, as the engine was off and I was near the shore. Just waited until they passed through. I don't think we'll face heavy fines for this kind of stuff since we're not chasing them around on purpose.
From what I understand the intent of the regulation is to address vessel operators who intentionally position their boats in the path of whales or follow them intentionally. The draft material I have seen addresses issues such as you encountered and encourages people to do exactly what you describe. Essentially, reel up, turn off your sounder and sit until they leave, or if they aren't directly beside you, slowly move away until you are safely out of range.

Back