Portable Cabin AC?

Rain City

Crew Member
Anyone had any experience with AC in their boat? I don't want a big permanent battery suck. Just looking to get the v berth a little cooler and a little drier so the wife and kid don't melt on those long trips. I saw that Zero Breeze thing and it got me thinking about it.

Maybe worth looking into a dehumidifier/ac combo? Uncle runs a dehumidifier constantly in cabin of his Bertram while it’s at dock to keep things nice and dry up front.

Maybe worth looking into a dehumidifier/ac combo? Uncle runs a dehumidifier constantly in cabin of his Bertram while it’s at dock to keep things nice and dry up front.
This is what I've heard. There were times out there this past summer it was 90% humidity in the boat. I actually had more mold issues in September than I had all last winter.

We bought a dehumidifier for our motorhome when we were in Comox for November, it was about 90% humidity when we had that wind storm. It pulled about two gallons of water a day for two days before it got down to 50%. Much nicer now!

With A/C that does not exist. A 1500 watt A/C will draw 1500/12 amps per hour.
Well temporary power suck is what I'm after I guess lol. With the battery on that thing I could charge while under way. If it dies it dies but some occasional respite from the heat would keep the crazy at bay o_O

Rain City; sounds like you have some issues with humidity, do you have a wet bilge? Using the 1500 watt example, about 1 hour of use would draw an 8D battery down to 50% charge, which is the lowest you should go for proper battery life.
You really need a generator for this application - I'd address the root cause of the humidity; Iv'e got a 33ft boat that doesn't have issues like you have.

Rain City; sounds like you have some issues with humidity, do you have a wet bilge? Using the 1500 watt example, about 1 hour of use would draw an 8D battery down to 50% charge, which is the lowest you should go for proper battery life.
You really need a generator for this application - I'd address the root cause of the humidity; Iv'e got a 33ft boat that doesn't have issues like you have.
Green carpet and wet clothes. Humidity in August can be upwards of 90% so I'm not surprised to be honest. But yes you're right dealing with the humidity would be key.

You probably have inboard engines - you could put on Balmar high output alternators + their smart voltage regulators & be able to produce 12volts at over 100 amps/hour. To run the A/c without the motor on you would still need about one 8d battery per hour of A/C run time. The alternator/regulators run about $1K US per engine. If you have 2 engines, they have a product called a centerfielder that combines the output of both alternators.

An example would be four 8d batteries for 4 hours of A/C run time w/o engines. You would then want a 100 amp alternator on each engine & run the engines (cruising/fishing etc) four hours each day; one alternator replaces the battery energy used yesterday while the second alternator provides power for A/C while running.

www.balmar.net

You probably have inboard engines - you could put on Balmar high output alternators + their smart voltage regulators & be able to produce 12volts at over 100 amps/hour. To run the A/c without the motor on you would still need about one 8d battery per hour of A/C run time. The alternator/regulators run about $1K US per engine. If you have 2 engines, they have a product called a centerfielder that combines the output of both alternators.

An example would be four 8d batteries for 4 hours of A/C run time w/o engines. You would then want a 100 amp alternator on each engine & run the engines (cruising/fishing etc) four hours each day; one alternator replaces the battery energy used yesterday while the second alternator provides power for A/C while running.

www.balmar.net
Yikes.

2000 watt inverter generator or similar would be lighter.
I have a little honda. If I know it's going to be a stinky hot trip might go that route. I don't want a fully built in system

I have a little honda. If I know it's going to be a stinky hot trip might go that route. I don't want a fully built in system

Unconventional.. but what about a fan on an old heater core, and a hose to below the thermocline with a amall water pump. Wont drop it to below the water temp.. whatever that is... but it would not draw much power.

Unconventional.. but what about a fan on an old heater core, and a hose to below the thermocline with a amall water pump. Wont drop it to below the water temp.. whatever that is... but it would not draw much power.
I don't love her that much.

a friend has a built in genset with a timer on it, it fires up and runs his dehumidifier, he also has a humidistat hooked up to signal the gen to kick on with the dehue

a friend has a built in genset with a timer on it, it fires up and runs his dehumidifier, he also has a humidistat hooked up to signal the gen to kick on with the dehue
Some of the newer commanders have what I think are stock gennies or AC units built into one of the 40 cabinets on board. There's space for it I just can't justify the cost.

my Honda EU2000 dosn't run the roof air in my camper, I think its a 13,000btu AC unit. I've heard rumors the new Honda EU2200 will run AC but can't confirm.

Back