SFBC's 2019-2020 NHL Hockey Thread

Maybe instead of sending the Buffalo player who hit Horvat in for a meeting, send the officials instead.

Isn't it great now that they have fired Don Cherry, we get to talk about the leafs the whole 1st intermission.
Instead of looking at and analyzing good hits, fights, saves and goals that have happened around the league in the last week. Also happy and sad things that happen around our great national pastime.
Man, what a crock of crap. Seems to be only one team in the NHL.
Thank you Sportsnet.

Isn't it great now that they have fired Don Cherry, we get to talk about the leafs the whole 1st intermission.
Instead of looking at and analyzing good hits, fights, saves and goals that have happened around the league in the last week. Also happy and sad things that happen around our great national pastime.
Man, what a crock of crap. Seems to be only one team in the NHL.
Thank you Sportsnet.
Looking forward to the game tonight and hopefully the Canucks play to their strengths. Toronto of course is well rested but I can't honestly believe we get to play the Leafs at 7 pm PST well past Little Mitchy's bed time. Apparently it's the first time in 13 years so there it is. Let's see if Sportsnet has the gall to have Beiska and Burke as first period analysts. Benn looks like he is out with the flu so defence is a bit thin.
Here's one for you: What do the Leafs and the Titanic both have in common? Their both great until they hit the ice!

Last edited:
Well not the result I was hoping for but Anderson was on fire and the Leafs big line got the breaks. 4 breakaways, zero results. Needed more from Virtanen and Gaudette as they were invisible on the 3rd line.
The good thing : Quinn Hughes was on full display for the Eastern media to see what we are seeing.
On to Carolina on Thursday.

A good effort and overtime win with Carolina .. markstrom stood on his head.... great shut out.... Sharks tonight. :)

Canucks can't play for half a game and expect good results. Shark vets had something to prove and Dell gets it done as the Canucks had there chances and were unlucky. Similar to the Leafs game. Need somebody, anybody to get on a roll.
On to Vegas where they have not had good results in the past. Here's hoping.

Man that was ugly last night. It's pretty evident the Canucks are a soft team with some skill but relatively easy to play against. If you can't play with them out work them is my motto. Vegas is a solid team that plays with tons of emotion and Canucks had no counter. Back to back doesn't help but somehow Horvat needs to rally the troops b4 it's too late.

somehow Horvat needs to rally the troops b4 it's too late.

I think it's already too late for Canucks for this year. Earlier they were losing but getting lots of shots. Now they are just being outplayed. Strong draft year, go for some more talent. Might be able to get some picks for UFAs Leivo, Tanev and Markstrom. Try to sign them back in the summer.

I think it's already too late for Canucks for this year. Earlier they were losing but getting lots of shots. Now they are just being outplayed. Strong draft year, go for some more talent. Might be able to get some picks for UFAs Leivo, Tanev and Markstrom. Try to sign them back in the summer.
I had hope but beginning to see that you are most likely right. It's questionable but I would rather sign Markstrom now though as he has become reasonably dependable if not over worked. Other than the young guns,Horvat and Miller the rest are all trade bait in my opinion. That includes Demko T. unfortunately because of the second concussion issue and the upcoming Seattle supplementary draft eligibility. Who knows but a solid first round 2020 draft pick would be a good thing.

I had hope but beginning to see that you are most likely right. It's questionable but I would rather sign Markstrom now though as he has become reasonably dependable if not over worked. Other than the young guns,Horvat and Miller the rest are all trade bait in my opinion. That includes Demko T. unfortunately because of the second concussion issue and the upcoming Seattle supplementary draft eligibility. Who knows but a solid first round 2020 draft pick would be a good thing.
Tampa Bay has our first round pick if we miss the playoffs.

Tampa Bay has our first round pick if we miss the playoffs.
The trade for Miller was conditional as I understand it for the 2020 draft. If the Canucks miss the playoffs this year it moves to 2021. If the Canucks miss the playoffs for either of the next 2 years and with the pick not being lottery protected it could be a recipe for disaster for the Canucks luck. Other than the lottery not being protected in my opinion it was a good trade for the time being. Lol

Last edited:
That was a cake walk for the Habs. Is this a slump with 4 regulation wins in 21 games for the Canucks ? It's pretty evident teams have adjusted and Mr. Green and his associates haven't. Defensive structure since Edler went down has gone south and the dump and chase game has stymied both BB6 and EP40. There's is a few solid, experienced NHL coaches out there. Feel for Markstrom though.

Starting to look like the classic Canucks pattern. Start the season reasonably strong, completely collapse mid season and ensure they miss the playoffs, then come on strong the last few games of the season ensuring they decrease their odds on the draft lottery. I guess it matters less this year because I understand they traded off their first round draft pick. It occurs to me that they may also get screwed by the special team expansion selection process to come for the new Seattle team. This expansion process should exclude picks from teams that have not made the playoffs in 5 or more years. It seems to me that the expansion selection process is very favorable to the new teams. I noticed that the Vegas start up team ended up very competitive right out of the box.

Starting to look like the classic Canucks pattern. Start the season reasonably strong, completely collapse mid season and ensure they miss the playoffs, then come on strong the last few games of the season ensuring they decrease their odds on the draft lottery. I guess it matters less this year because I understand they traded off their first round draft pick. It occurs to me that they may also get screwed by the special team expansion selection process to come for the new Seattle team. This expansion process should exclude picks from teams that have not made the playoffs in 5 or more years. It seems to me that the expansion selection process is very favorable to the new teams. I noticed that the Vegas start up team ended up very competitive right out of the box.
Yup, pretty much as described. The only caveat to the Seattle expansion draft is that the 30 teams excluding Vegas share the $650m, so each owner pockets $21.5m. Not bad for the owners for the loss of 1 player. I expect some of that cash if the owner can stomach it can be used to buy out Louie E's $6m contract and fix their cap issues and JB's bone head decision to sign him in the first place.

Last edited:
It's time for the Captain, Horvat to show why he was selected Captain. Tapping people's pads at the end of the game while they file off is not cutting it. How about hitting someone and leading by example, show some fire.

It's time for the Captain, Horvat to show why he was selected Captain. Tapping people's pads at the end of the game while they file off is not cutting it. How about hitting someone and leading by example, show some fire.
Agree totally, Horvat hasn't been the same since Baertschi was disbanded. Looks spent and underwhelmed in my opinion. Feeling the pressure of being the captain in a city that cares, overworked for sure as his face off % has taken a hit lately. Canucks are unfortunately a stick checking team that constantly is being outgunned in puck battles. Every opponent knows this and if the Canucks aren't skating this is what to expect. Frustrating.
Q.Hughes is being targeted and his available ice has been taken away. He flourished in a 3/4 role with Tanev but with Edler sidelined he is being like the rest of the defence playing above their pay scale. Great player and future #1 defenceman but not quite there yet but will be there with experience.

Back