Trim Tabs Electric or Hydraulic

What size boat? My Skagit is very sensitive whenever someone moves around I’m constantly adjusting my trim tabs. Curious as to how quick the auto trim adjusts. Does it seem to fix the pitch and roll of the boat before you feel it or does it seem to hunt and correct?
Grady White 208. 20’er. I’d say hunt and correct. Really fast. But not instantaneous. It’s faster than I am. And one less thing to do/worry about.

I have no experience with Electrics, but the Hydraulics that have been on my boat for 15 years have been completely trouble free. All we have had to do is blast the growth off the pistons as needed, test to see they are working before launching - they always are, and check over,, top up (which so far they have not needed) and occasionally change the fluid the same as you would for your car brakes. I wish all systems on the boat were as reliable and long lasting as the Hydraulic Trim Tabs have been. Of course now I have jinxed it and a hose fitting will fail my next trip out.

Last edited:
I've only ever seen two Bennett Hydraulic Tabs have operation issues. In both cases the boat builder / rigger installed the pump in a very wet location (one was in the bottom of the "bilge" of a Cdory! ) against the installation instructions. The poor electrical system just couldn't handle all that saltwater. Do stupid things and things will fail. Bennett's warranty service is phenomenal. I might go electric next time, but I would stick with Bennett if I did.

I have the electrics from Lectrotab with the LED indicator switch type in the dash. Mine reset back to zero automatically when I shut off the engine. I do like them, and Lectrotab has a lifetime warranty on the units, no questions asked. I did have to replace a couple units over the years, but they keep replacing them for free and they are easy to change, it's like a 30 minute job. Simple and effective.

Back