I suck at lingcod fishing

disagree on slack tide . These fish generally aren’t swimming around actively hunting like salmon ( some cases yes but not usually ) . You want to be drifting over whatever structure / reef you are fishing , giving the ling a chance to ambush your bait or lure . Some places i fish the gulf islands the ling bite can go straight dead on the slack, as soon as the water starts pushing hard we fill the boat . ( live bait is king )
Confirmed by a guide buddy of mine. Most people fish the slack so they can hover over a spot which is opposite to what they're used to seeing. The big tides run food by them so they're laying and waiting to ambush at that time. I just fish them when I'm bored of fishing for salmon.

So any or all of bacon, sand dabs, copper pipes, plain lead, herring, shiner perch, kittens. Best for me last year was drop a 4 oz jig, hook a black rf then wait for a big ling to grab on, then reel slowly and net at surface.
I did this for two quick lings near Tofino last year.

So any or all of bacon, sand dabs, copper pipes, plain lead, herring, shiner perch, kittens. Best for me last year was drop a 4 oz jig, hook a black rf then wait for a big ling to grab on, then reel slowly and net at surface.
That's illegal... but works like a hot damn.

I ate both, so is it? Regs says something about wasting edible fish.
Also says something about bait fish only being herring and something else? I mean if you're right I can stop lying about not doing it so that'd be great.

Would putting a stinger /trailing hook on a Mega-Bite defeat the purpose, of not catching all the little rock fish?

It doesn't affect your by catch of rockfish at all. Sometimes it'll snag the tail a bit. I ordered a pack of assist hooks for my swim baits and throw one on when I'm fishing lings. Helps with hookups in general. Especially if they take it sideways in the mouth.

It doesn't affect your by catch of rockfish at all. Sometimes it'll snag the tail a bit. I ordered a pack of assist hooks for my swim baits and throw one on when I'm fishing lings. Helps with hookups in general. Especially if they take it sideways in the mouth.
What's an assist hook?

Fishing lings at slack tides helps keeping your line vertical or close to it. This is key when fishing structure otherwise you're bound to snag bottom and does make it harder to set the hook in my experiences. Fishing in a stronger tide equals more blow back so you either have to: back troll to keep lines vertical, switch to a heavier jig, or wait till the tide to slow down. I find lingcod like a bit of water movement that pushes food towards them.

An assist hook is a hook tied with some heavier cord with a loop on the end of it. You loop the hook through the circle of the cord and pull it tight over the bottom of the hook. It doesn't seem like much but it's an extra pointy thing that may help with a hook up

Fishing lings at slack tides helps keeping your line vertical or close to it. This is key when fishing structure otherwise you're bound to snag bottom and does make it harder to set the hook in my experiences. Fishing in a stronger tide equals more blow back so you either have to: back troll to keep lines vertical, switch to a heavier jig, or wait till the tide to slow down. I find lingcod like a bit of water movement that pushes food towards them.

An assist hook is a hook tied with some heavier cord with a loop on the end of it. You loop the hook through the circle of the cord and pull it tight over the bottom of the hook. It doesn't seem like much but it's an extra pointy thing that may help with a hook up
Oh ok I thought it was a type of hook. A stinger essentially.

Well done!

I use these home made 4oz flutter jigs with success and have just developed Glows which I cant wait to try , oh by the way I sell them to for 4.00 painted and 4.50 Glow + shipping, PM me if interested 20191203_194000.jpg 20191115_104305.jpg

I'm also really interested in spearfishing although my goal is to do it without scuba, just using breath hold. I have been working up my hold times but I'm definitely not there yet.

But I would really like to experience spearfishing. Seems like the ultimate zen water hunt to me.
Do a course. It’s fun. But dangerous without training. My breath hold went from one minute to three over a weekend course. Some of the other guys hit 5 minutes.

That there is something I want to do so bad! I just need to learn SCUBA...
It’s fun! I have my open water ticket. I would try to fish using it... but the way I fish, I would probably end up getting snagged on the bottom

Back