Rock slide in Fraser River, B.C., may hinder salmon passage

Would they spawn down river? Causing the decline to not be as bad ?!

And is 40,000 5-2’s a good return overall...and based on brood year?

It would have be okay compared to recent times still **** come pared to 2o years ago.

But they did not make it to the spawning grounds so it’s a mute point.

I'm going out on a limb, but am fairly confident Minister Wilkinson will be appointed Minister of Environment or Minister of Climate Chang (they're splitting up that portfolio into two) come nov 20. Heard rumours of it and suddenly Wilkinson is on EVERY political tv show representing the Liberals (Question Period, Power Play, Power and Politics etc) when he literally has never been on them before. The Liberals are trying to up his profile before his appointment in the more high profile ministry (most likely environment with his history in environmental organizations). Huge promotion he does not deserve, but would be out of fisheries at least, most likely an east coast minister though now.

Fun to speculate...how about a game of spin the wheel of Minster Fortune. My first spin landed on Catherine McKenna.

Fun to speculate...how about a game of spin the wheel of Minster Fortune. My first spin landed on Catherine McKenna.

UGH...see her being something like house leader as fluent in both languages and right in Ottawa which is important for that file. And MOFAO will almost always be from a coast. I would look towards Yvonne Jones (was minister of fisheries in Newfoundland government) as a potential MOFAO...will look into some other possibilities further later tonight.

UGH...see her being something like house leader as fluent in both languages and right in Ottawa which is important for that file. And MOFAO will almost always be from a coast. I would look towards Yvonne Jones (was minister of fisheries in Newfoundland government) as a potential MOFAO...will look into some other possibilities further later tonight.
Radio-Canada is also reporting that Jonathan Wilkinson will be the new environment minister.

Latest numbers of Early Stuart sockeye are estimated to be 89 fish. Add in the est 20,000 eggs at Cultus Lake and that's the total for this stock on this cycle.

May whom ever watches over us show no mercy for the idiots of dfo and the politicians who have politicised and ruined this resource

WTF, Seriously another YEAR??? TAKE EXPLOSIVES AND TURN BIG ROCK INTO SMALL ROCK

https://globalnews.ca/news/6257001/big-bar-landslide-phase-2/

"Government officials overseeing the response to a massive landslide in B.C.’s Fraser River say there’s a “high risk” they won’t be successful in rescuing several salmon species being impacted by the rocks.

In a progress update Wednesday, Sarah Murdoch of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) said water levels are beginning to drop, presenting the only opportunity for crews to remove tonnes of rock blocking a critical migration route."

"But with crews facing difficult winter conditions in the remote area northwest of Kamloops, Murdoch said it’s unclear if enough rock can be removed by mid-March when spring and summer salmon runs arrive."

I'M GOING TO HAVE A Fing JAMMER SOMEONE CALL AN AMBULANCE

"Murdoch said at least two salmon species, the spring and summer 52 groups, were over 80 per cent affected by the slide, while early Stuart sockeye were 100 per cent impacted."

Last edited:
WTF, Seriously another YEAR??? TAKE EXPLOSIVES AND TURN BIG ROCK INTO SMALL ROCK

https://globalnews.ca/news/6257001/big-bar-landslide-phase-2/

"Government officials overseeing the response to a massive landslide in B.C.’s Fraser River say there’s a “high risk” they won’t be successful in rescuing several salmon species being impacted by the rocks.

In a progress update Wednesday, Sarah Murdoch of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) said water levels are beginning to drop, presenting the only opportunity for crews to remove tonnes of rock blocking a critical migration route."

"But with crews facing difficult winter conditions in the remote area northwest of Kamloops, Murdoch said it’s unclear if enough rock can be removed by mid-March when spring and summer salmon runs arrive."

I'M GOING TO HAVE A Fing JAMMER SOMEONE CALL AN AMBULANCE

"Murdoch said at least two salmon species, the spring and summer 52 groups, were over 80 per cent affected by the slide, while early Stuart sockeye were 100 per cent impacted."
Took 4 or 5 years for the Seymour to blow there blockage. And..... every group said no blasting, north van, metro, first nations, etc all said no...

Every citizens group that has any interest in the salmon of the Fraser, whatever their stripe or colour, should be screaming for DFO and the Federal government to declare the landslide on the Fraser to be a national emergency
and to get their finger out and deal with it regardless of cost and resources. Not start prepping the public for another round of inaction and the loss of another cycle of upriver salmon. If DFO had done their job and monitored the river properly in the Fall of 2018, this might have been avoided. Who's job is that if not theirs? Finding out about it from a rancher in late June 2019. What a crock! Shows us how high we rate on the scale of Trudope and his puppets.
Never thought I would live to see the extermination of such a wonderful resource due to human neglect and inaction. I despair....

Back