Leader length for spoons

Very cool. Thought the upward pressure would shut down all the action. That's an interesting setup.

It gets the full action, we had to play with the lengths in front and behind a bit to get it right for us, as well as the tension on the rods. high quality swivels and snaps so you can swap your colors out easily.

Just wondering if a traditional dummy flasher setup isn’t simpler and just as effective? Or is there some advantage to having the flasher attached, even “temporarily” to the main line?

Just wondering if a traditional dummy flasher setup isn’t simpler and just as effective? Or is there some advantage to having the flasher attached, even “temporarily” to the main line?
It's just different. Just like different leader lengths. More action with the in-line flasher. More subtle with the dummy. Depends on what they're hitting that day. I think it more depends on speed and current and how your gear is reacting to it. Long story short is they all work based on some undetermined variable that only the fish know. Personally I try them all until something works. I run a kone zone with a naked spoon on one side in the winter.

Right place right time...
Reel time here nailed it
Fish arnt as smart as everyone thinks
They eat pieces of metal
They eat small bait fish with Helmets
They eat pieces of plastic that are supposed to look like squid
Find the right fish your gonna get one

For us we like knowing when the line gets fouled. The moment a piece of weed or gunk hangs on the rod line (not the rigger line) the pump action stops. easier to keep your gear fishing instead of dragging a weed for 30 min.

Anyone have experience running dummy flashers in a 14 foot tinny? Like the idea of the dummies, but concerned the flasher would get tangled up in the motor on pull ups.

Shouldn't be a problem @Irishwolf - as long as you are moving ahead straight the flashers will pull directly back behind the boat. You could also set it up so the line from flasher to cannonball is short enough to ensure it does not / could not reach the motor - only need enough line to make it rotate. 2-3 ft is enough.

Shouldn't be a problem @Irishwolf - as long as you are moving ahead straight the flashers will pull directly back behind the boat. You could also set it up so the line from flasher to cannonball is short enough to ensure it does not / could not reach the motor - only need enough line to make it rotate. 2-3 ft is enough.

Thanks @Stoisy I'll give that a try! Cheers!

Spoons have their own distinct action, so they do not have to be as close to the flasher as say a hoochie, which has no action.

EPS that's an interesting variation on the flasher use. Just the foul detection part of it would increase your presentation time when there's lots of grass or jelly around. In a lot of ways trolling for salmon is just a math equation,

fb

FB, I was never very good at math... Dumb luck and time in help fill my freezer. Shakers is all I usually get with 42" smaller spoons in Whirl Bay in the winter. Maybe 6' is the answer.

Tie onto the spoon, extend the line from outstretched fingertip to opposite shoulder. Snip there and attach bead swivel. 4’6” to 5’. Go catch your fish.

I never use a flasher with a spoon but know those that do. Some of those use a flasher on a small spoon but not on a larger spoon. I have been out fished by not using a flasher. Bottom line is I can catch enough fish to make me happy w/o flashers. If I was to use a Flasher on a small spoon it would be about 5fy long of 30# mono.

If you are not catching fish take the glasses out and find a boat that is catching fish see how long they are running and how fast they are trolling that should be the ticket

There are many factors at play and I think that, of all of them, the leader length is possibly the least important. I use only dummy flashers, which according to some, means that I should not do as well. But last year I did better than many fishing in the same areas as me. I think it’s about finding the fish and fishing the right depth. These are the most important. The rest is less important, as long as you’re using the usual range of bait, spoon, plug etc.

Back