WCFC North Island Lodge Closes

Thats odd as they have the Clubhouse lodge right there next to North Island you would think they have similar leases for both spots.

Don’t think the Haidas have much of an appetite for any sport fishing lodges up there anymore. I doubt they’ll be renewing any leases but I’ve been wrong before!

I believe NIL had trouble renewing the lease before last season as well. The Haida were building something at the start of the season when I was there, in the bay behind where NIL is usually anchored. Sad to hear, hopefully all the guys at NIL find work elsewhere.

Our future at the Outpost was possibly up in the air for a while as well but I believe everything got sorted out and we'll be operating again next season.

That’s too bad. Great people, even had Haida on staff. I’ve been at WCFC ~12 times and preferred NIL over the Clubhouse because it was more geared toward hardcore fisherman who preferred self-guided trips. Also liked the Eaglecraft’s more than the Whalers. Instant access to the water and closer to the East side.

The clubhouse pared down the # of self guided boats a few years ago, hopefully they’ll add a few more back and let us fish in the eaglecraft’s .

Hopefully they’ll bounce back, lots of great memories up there thanks to their hospitality.

Barry

Last edited:
This sucks. I hope this isn’t more behind the scenes politics. If it is I am really pissed.

This province needs to generate an economy out of our renewable resources.

Writing’s on the wall for Langara floating lodge too I guess as they’d have a lease as well. Maybe not their on land “island lodge”.

I wonder if this is about the Haida wanting to reduce fishing pressure / sea lion feeding up there in general. All speculation at this point...

I pretty much have a good idea of what happen here but it's not best to post it up as its my interpretation of what I have heard from a good source but I wasn't personal involved... it saddens me greatly that we are now down 2 more operations on a coast.. more unfortunately this seems to be a continuing trend along the BC coast line...

And somehow or other I doubt that our esteemed prime minister will have any of the minions from DFO support the notion of supporting the existence of sport fishing lodges in the Charlottes. Maybe we can all become cabinet ministers and retire early.

These lodge closures might have a simple explanation ....maybe they just don’t pencil out.

A consultant who advised FN’s on their business investments told me a few years ago that sportfishing lodges are guaranteed loss makers in that part of the world. Exotic locations are expensive to get to. Then you have all the transport costs of gas, food and beverages....

These lodge closures might have a simple explanation ....maybe they just don’t pencil out.

A consultant who advised FN’s on their business investments told me a few years ago that sportfishing lodges are guaranteed loss makers in that part of the world. Exotic locations are expensive to get to. Then you have all the transport costs of gas, food and beverages....

lots of overhead. Very tough to make money on them. I was told from someone from wcfc it made money though. ?

I believe that is probably true for new operation but if you have the lodge there already it probably makes sence to keep at it unless you are really in the hole.

And if lodges are not making any money then loosing a few is good for the remaining lodges and allows them to raise prices.

Overall tho having less lodges probably means the prices will go up and that will make a once in a lifetime trip less attenable for the avg joe.

Also it means that the rec sector will be giving up quota in these areas and I’m sure there is a sector that will happy to have more of our quota.

This is another example off less access for our sector and that does suck.

It’s also a big loss for all the down stream industry’s that support these lodges. It will also probably effect the availability and coast of fights to the area as operators will have to charge more as they make less trips.

Back