2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
last year I recall a few times where there were quite a number of large prawns with eggs on underside. We try to sort them out as quickly as possible in order to release back into the water. When released back into the water they never seem to do all that well... Looks like the may flap their tail once or twice max... Then they just don't move and slowly drift down under the boat. Do the prawns that are release have a good chance at surviving? I've heard from a commercial fishermen a while back that prawns pulled from the deep dont have a very good shot at surviving when released back into the water. If this is the case, is there anything that can be done to increase their survival rates when released back?
Sounds like a great thread to start

Don’t know where I saw the info, but I read that since prawns don’t have a swim bladder, a trip to the surface doesn’t do them any real harm. It is disconcerting that they don’t move as they slowly sink out of sight.

out today in the sound ended up with one small keeper of 65 cm off the bottom on a green splatter back hooch and herring aide flasher
afternoon turned out nice but lots and lots of wood in the water due to the rain & floods and high tide

Wow. Crickets on here this week. I am hoping to head out Saturday. Try out Grace and Tunstall. Anyone been out this week with all this great weather and had any luck?

My son and I tried the Bell Buoy last Saturday, we were quickly rewarded with a just legal and lost one that was taking good amounts of line...

Green spatter hootchie and a really ugly hootchie I have been having luck with it has some clear, blue, purple, pink, green. I ran them very tight to the downrigger no longer than a rod length (less than 10' 6")

Some dude looked to be doing something sketchy out by passage about an hour ago. White Campion with a hard top. Saw him dump a trap and take off as we rolled up. I could be wrong.

Interesting up to no good sounds like u go for a fish today rain city?
No just set a few traps after lunch for ***** and giggles. Still working the kinks out. Once I figure out this prawning thing again I'll put in some full fishing days without the traps. I like to focus on one thing :) What a day today though! **** on a plate.

Last edited:
No just set a few traps after lunch for ***** and giggles. Still working the kinks out. Once I figure put this prawning thing again I'll out in some full fishing days without the traps. I like to focus on one thing :) What a day today though! **** on a plate.
oh ok I might head out on sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back