Emergency SOS device

Old Fisher

I'm thinking of getting a Garmin Inreach or Spot X device to carry when I'm out in places without cell phone coverage.
Looking for any advice or opinions on these devices and I'm especially interested in hearing of your experiences with the satellite networks Iridium (used by Garmin) and Globalstar (used by Spot). Most of my land based adventures take place in heavily forested and mountainous terrain (Vancouver Island) so I'm interested in knowing if one of the networks is better at getting a signal in those types of areas.

Thanks
OF

Thanks for your comments

Does anyone have experience with satellite coverage (Iridium vs Globalstar) in the backcountry of Vancouver Island?

Obviously a Satellite SOS device would be useful only if it can reliably send and receive signals from forested areas and river valleys.

Thanks
OF

I'm thinking of getting a Garmin Inreach or Spot X device to carry when I'm out in places without cell phone coverage.
Looking for any advice or opinions on these devices and I'm especially interested in hearing of your experiences with the satellite networks Iridium (used by Garmin) and Globalstar (used by Spot). Most of my land based adventures take place in heavily forested and mountainous terrain (Vancouver Island) so I'm interested in knowing if one of the networks is better at getting a signal in those types of areas.

Thanks
OF
If you want a dual purpose beacon that is truly waterproof and floats check out the https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plb . They have them at Trotac

X4 InReach. You can text/email anyone as need be verses the spot which does 1 preset message (think UNEXPECTED engine/gas issues, etc.). You pay ~$30/mo for that service but can put it to sleep when not in use for ~$5/mo.

InReach or go home. If you can.!

Iridium is better than globalstar for coverage on the island.

Big advocate for the inreach, they’re a must in the bush. Relatively cheap, easy to work and you can get a signal pretty much everywhere.

Check Craigslist or marketplace for those things. Many people sell them cheap after they find that they hardly use the thing

It sounds like you have made up your mind, but I would like to add for anyone else who reads this.. Stay away from the Spot X absolutely terrible. Only works about 25% of the time. InReach is flawless.

I use a PLB no subscription fees and sends a GPS signal to the DOT use it in the boat or in the bush when hunting battery lasts 6 years.

https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plus-plb

I should mention that you need to buy a unit in Canada to register it here PLB registration is free.
buy from a Canadian retailer beware of amazon or e-bay you may not be able to register it here if its not coded for Canada

Last edited:
Back