Live Squid Fishing Video

I have some guests who prefer that over trolling up Chinook. Bit tricky to catch enough bait to stay in production when the bites come so fast. Shifted to smaller lighter rods was cool. Personally I still prefer getting fish on single action reels tho.

Caught some in Port Angeles harbor in the eighties with live squid, There were millions of squid in the harbor for several years in a row and the salmon fishing was really good. Caught using mooching sinker and double hook herring style leaders.

I haven’t caught anything on a live squid yet first I need to catch the squid. My son bought me some squid jigs for my birthday I’m going to give it a try in Rupert this summer. A few years ago I caught a 40lb halibut and when I give it the high speed wiggle treatment it puked up the head of a humbolt. My cousin sent it back down we ended up releasing a 185cm Hali.

Watched people do this off fisgard lighthouse in the late 70's early 80's . We were fishing for Cod off the rocks and there was lots of squid swimming around . Watched guys jig them up , rig on salmon gear and they were quickly into fish .

There were millions of small squid under the docks in Nootka this year at Critter Cove. At night time coho would chase the squid and many would jump up on the docks. I picked up 20 one morning. Used them for Hali bait.

One of the guys at work guides out of Bamtown in summer he told me about doing this sounds like a blast.

Good boat,top guide ,great location,cute girl and great fishing doing something new,couldn't be better.

Fairly common practice in the right places when they are spawning. The one I did find is a high mortality rate as they really swallow the squid on small hooks so not great for catch and release fishing

A fella by the name of Marty Taylor was the first person I met that used a float with them in 1993. He invited me to go one afternoon with him and I used my level wind Steelhead set up. Was pretty hilarious

Last edited:
Its pretty amazing but how realistic is it that you can book with a guide and get this experience?

is this a one off or is there a big window to do something like this?

Or is it like fishing for Mahi mahi, yeah if the conditions are right and there schooling tossing light tackle for them can be amazing and effective but if the conditions are not set up your most likely going on the troll.

Last edited:
Its pretty amazing but how realistic is it that you can book with a guide and get this experience?

Or is it like fishing for Mahi mahi, yeah if the conditions are right and there schooling tossing light tackle for them can be amazing and effective but if the conditions are not set up your most likely going on the troll.
Conditions have to be right. Other than 1 place i know the squid don't always spawn in the same areas. Dave sorta said so at the end of the video

Conditions have to be right. Other than 1 place i know the squid don't always spawn in the same areas. Dave sorta said so at the end of the video

Thanks i kinda missed dave's one liner there at the end. "if they are here"

Pretty consistent early season fishery in some areas. In years past I used this technique on charters right into the end of August.

Mortality rates are quite high with light hits and deep hooksets. I often ran circle hooks and had the guys reel down on fish quickly.

Attachments

• 49ED2B5A-649F-40F5-A72A-D6DBA4DCE17C.jpeg
    49ED2B5A-649F-40F5-A72A-D6DBA4DCE17C.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 168
  • A2DECF2C-1DEC-444D-8D9B-705C3B3E477C.jpeg
    A2DECF2C-1DEC-444D-8D9B-705C3B3E477C.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Pretty consistent early season fishery. In years past I used this technique on charters right into the end of August. It can be phenomenal fishing.

Mortality rates are quite high with light hits and deep hooksets. I often ran circle hooked and had the guys reel down on fish quickly to avoid throat hooks.

Thanks, The chinook i've caught at Nahwitti bar are often plugged with squid and that fishery is the max depth is 50 feet. Could you fish with this technique there or what kind of squid conditions do you need?

Back