Don Cherry Fired

giphy.gif

he's an idiot, always has been. If it wasn't this racist rant, it would have been another.

The only people upset about this are hockey dorks... Seriously who cares.

Its not about Don Cherry. It’s about Political correctness. You can’t say anything that might offend anyone, especially marginalized or special interest. I’ve heard worse things. I was way more offended when Liz May praised Omar Khadr. That got almost zero negative press and was much more offensive.

His right to free speech is not being violated here. He is free to say what he wants on his own time. When he is being paid to represent a private corporation, they are entitled to release him if the views he expresses do not align with their values. Also, everyone who disagrees with what he said has the right to express their opinions.

And there in lies the problem with Liberal ideology. Everyone else’s opinion has no value. We seem to listen so intently to one side of the dialogue only. Free speech isn’t about what you want to hear. I love the fact Cherry’s not backing down. We need more Cherry’s.

You didn't read the article. If you did, you didn't understand it.

Not every opinion has value. Would you say opinions espousing racism and genocide have value? Clearly not. Some opinions have so little value that their public expression is criminalized. Canada's criminal law prohibits hate speech, and this has been found to be a justified limit on freedom of speech which is a Charter protected right. You are confusing the right to express an opinion with making judgements about the content of an opinion, which is undertaken all the time. Our entire world is about evaluating ideas and opinions.

Last edited:
His right to free speech is not being violated here. He is free to say what he wants on his own time. When he is being paid to represent a private corporation, they are entitled to release him if the views he expresses do not align with their values. Also, everyone who disagrees with what he said has the right to express their opinions.

Exactly - we are on the same page.

Watch from 45 seconds on...how is this women not FIRED?? Saying all hockey
I was going to say the same thing. He didn't get arrested for this, he got fired. If one of my employees said anything REMOTELY racist or sexist or even just had a bad attitude in front of one of our clients they'd be let go of immediately. That's MY choice. Rogers had every right to do this, end of story.

You didn't read the article. If you did, you didn't understand it.

Not every opinion has value. Would you say opinions espousing racism and genocide have value? Clearly not. Some opinions have so little value that their public expression is criminalized. Canada's criminal law prohibits hate speech, and this has been found to be a justified limit on freedom of speech which is a Charter protected right. You are confusing the right to express an opinion with making judgements about the content of an opinion, which is undertaken all the time. Our entire world is about evaluating ideas and opinions.

You're taking it to the extreme. We're discussing a hockey commentator who said "you guys". I never said his free speech rights were infringed, never said I faulted Rogers for their decision. I'm done...and I read it. And thats the state of politics in Canada today. Just one mans view. Not taking any more of your bait.

But you see this is exactly what's wrong with our Country (and others) right now. Nobody is disagreeing that wearing the poppy is the right thing to do. He was right that they made the ultimate sacrifice and that we all should pay our respects. BUT, there is no room in any society to single out any one group as "you people". He was fired for generalizing immigrants. The very people that make Canada what it is still to this day. He was right that the importance of the poppy should be known and taught to all that want to call Canada home. So stop arguing THAT point. Just get over that for one second and try and agree that nobody in this world should be lumped into a group and called out by a rich old white guy on National television. Nobody. Think about the immigrants that WERE wearing them that got painted with that same brush. That's what is being debated here.
To the Engos us Sport fishermen are "you people" to them

You're taking it to the extreme. We're discussing a hockey commentator who said "you guys". I never said his free speech rights were infringed, never said I faulted Rogers for their decision. I'm done...and I read it. And thats the state of politics in Canada today. Just one mans view. Not taking any more of your bait.

Nothing extreme at all in what I said. You're the one with the extreme views, and you're also the one who pitched ridiculous generality to try to make the simple point that "we need more Cherry's" and that he's not apologizing for a very bigoted statement. You said "Liberals" take the position that "Everyone else’s opinion has no value" and "Free speech isn’t about what you want to hear". Others shared my view that you are suggesting that liberals being critical of the Cherry perspective means they don't value free speech.

You can try to walk it back, but your message was clear - and wrong in my opinion.

If you support the statements that got Cherry fired, and it appears you do, just say so clearly.

Nothing extreme at all in what I said. You're the one with the extreme views, and you're also the one who pitched ridiculous generality to try to make the simple point that "we need more Cherry's" and that he's not apologizing for a very bigoted statement. You said "Liberals" take the position that "Everyone else’s opinion has no value" and "Free speech isn’t about what you want to hear". Others shared my view that you are suggesting that liberals being critical of the Cherry perspective means they don't value free speech.

You can try to walk it back, but your message was clear - and wrong in my opinion.

If you support the statements that got Cherry fired, and it appears you do, just say so clearly.
"Not every opinion has value" Your quote :p

Thats right Sax and Rain have been trolling and they been getting bites . Its not over yet they have 200,000 odd signatures in support of Don.

Back