My wifes new boat

Kingfisher 2825.
Ive had mine for 10 years.
My wife and I spend a good portion of the summer on it.
Been up to Rupert and back many times.
Very livable cabin, fast, and economical to run.
No boat is perfect.

I think finding something under 30 Ft. that has everything we would need for long overnight trips is going to be a challenge.Our marina includes a bow sprit,swim grid, tilted up kickers etc. in it's over all measurement ,so really limited to a 27 Footer or so and I really don't want another I/O. The way gas prices are going a single small diesel with shaft drive and enough room for 2 old folks to be comfortable with a galley,separate head and bed is going to be very hard to find. My budget is in the $50K range right now ,so a Back Cove 30 is only in my dreams.I may have to wait until we downsize our house and then buy something bigger.

How about a tolly 26 Ray? Tons of those for sale.

And I totally agree about drives.....either all in or all out.

Have you looked at a 2859 Bayliner? I had a 2452 and it was a good all-around boat. Standard is with a gas engine, but there might be one around that has installed a diesel. Pretty nice layout and they are fairly cheap.

I've pretty much looked at every boat under 28 Ft. online and now think it's impossible to get what we're after in our price and size range.It's just physically impossible to stuff all that we would need for long stay's on a boat in that size range.We stuffed ourselves into a small cuddy v-berth 20 years ago but that just isn't going to work now that we're older.Fuel prices aren't likely to fall in my lifetime so running a V8 gasser long range won't work anymore either.A 32-34 Ft.or bigger single diesel shaft drive is what we would need and I'm not into running a 30 year old boat or older and have it break down in some distant place.I'll wait till I can afford to get the right boat for the job or learn to be satisfied with what I have now which aint too shabby.

Sounds like you need a (drum roll) ..sailboat..(ghasp!!)
There are some neat little pilot house sailboats with small diesels around that motor from place to place for “cheap”. Many layouts that are roomy and comfortable with diesel heaters etc. Don’t even use the sails..

ooooopps. I see you already covered sailboats. My bad..

Have you looked for a Campion Trawler? Not a speed machine but might fit the bill.

Camano are great boats and very well respected. Excellent economy, performance, and handling. I seriously looked at them before getting my Commander. Would not hesitate to own one.
That is a really good price if the boat is in decent shape. If your handy would be a fun project to work on and you would have additional value when you go to sell.

I am fairly biased because I spent a pile of money on mine but the 26’ Commanders are tough to beat for what you are looking for. They are dated looking for sure but offer a lot of amenities in a boat that size. If you find an older one you could always pod it. It’ll cost you more than 50k but not a crazy amount more if you do a lot of work yourself and find used power and electronics . In the end you’ll have a boat that fits in your slip, sleeps 4 , you can cook on, has a fridge, bathroom and can cruise at 30-35mph at 2mpg. They hold enough fuel to do real trips with them and also have a freshwater tank. I’ve only spent a few nights on mine but it’s pretty comfortable. It’ll putt around at 5-8 knots on barely any fuel if thats what you are into but when you need to get moving it will. Alright, Sales pitch over.

you just need to find a shipwright with a half century of experience who used to build boats to help you out Ray!

The tollycraft was a pretty good idea that was mentioned, seen some good 26 footers listed a while back

Back