Sturgeon

...how were your hands (grip) the next day? I find after a day of good fishing that I can't make a fist by the next morning due to a bit of swelling.

Ya exactly that. Could not make a fist that evening. The funniest thing was wen I tried to take some Advil, My left bicep and forearm where so jacked I could not get my hand to my mouth the normal way.

Here is a quote of part of a text my fishing partner sent on Monday.

Also have gunnel knee, butt belly, line hand, reel finger and all other associated aches and pains!!”

Made me laugh a bit, that did.

Might just be addicted as you say. Have
Not stopped thinking about that trip all week! Can’t wait get back there for more!!!

Were you in the 2 boats anchored beside eachother on Saturday , Blue boat and a White boat Jon ?

Were you in the 2 boats anchored beside eachother on Saturday , Blue boat and a White boat Jon ?
No don’t think that was us. We were in a blue boat but the other 2 groups were in black boats we all kinda of split up and did our own things

We've caught 3 green Sturgeon since I took up the fishery. The first one was on a guided trip. The other 2 on my boat.

Our guide claimed these are ocean fresh fish that don't migrate to high in the Fraser. All 3 that I hooked were in the Fort Langley area. 7', 8,2 and 8.4. Their fight is very strong and one fish was a metallic green. Very shiny.

I have a friend that dives west coast of Van Island and they see many green sturgeon at the mouth of some creeks and rivers. He said almost all were between 4-5 ft with the odd 6 ft mixed in.

Interesting that the green sturgeon like the West Coast of Vancouver Island so much. I wonder what the attraction is? feeding?

Was out on Sunday , 4 to the boat , one just over 7 feet. Pink roe, lamprey , and pink meat all caught fish

Attachments

• IMG_20191006_233356_086.jpg
    IMG_20191006_233356_086.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 47
Another day on the Fraser , 4 more to the boat , nothing over 5 feet. Pink roe , and lamprey caught the fish .
Poked into the Stave , sad to see not even one floater coming down , where this time of the year there would be hundred's.

Normfish,

Do you think the sturgeon are having a hard time getting food if there is no floaters coming down?

Not sure if they are having a hard time getting food , as one can't tell how many dead salmon are rolling along the bottom . There are much lower numbers of Chum than years before, so for sure there is less food for the Sturgeon to eat.

Is there even a fish ladder at Ruskin dam? I'm not too well educated on that area.

The closure during freshet would be a start. If they really wanted to help these fish maybe limit the number of guide days on the water in the fall.
The same pincusions getting beat on daily ain't cool. Seems like everybody is an assistant guide these days.

Another question that could be asked is how is everybody getting there chum roe right now?

Last edited:
Some buy it from Bruce's market $20 a pound , others , well ......I don't even want to open that can of worms , think we have flogged that subject to death . Sad that nothing gets done about it though .

Back