Pro Release

Ruff

Pretty stoked on some new gear I just got in the mail. I used these release clips about 15 years ago on a charter and have not seen them since...until now!! These clips are great as you dont need a mono top shot when running braid. A couple of wraps around the spindle and you are good to go. Might have to get after some winter springs just to try these things out!

https://www.google.com/search?q=pro...biw=412&bih=718&dpr=2.63#imgrc=KV_Er89sfbteJM

Frick, you think I could figure out how to upload a pic??o_O

Sure looks like a lot of fiddling around and opportunity to mess it up and get a tangle. Not sure I understand the advantage of this clip over the Scotty clips. Never seen these clips so maybe I'm missing something.

Once you get the hang of it, setup dosent take any longer than hooking up a scotty. I am stoked to use it as there is no need for a mono top shot when running braid and thus no jamming on the knot when fighting a fish. Also less chance of a false release on the drop. These clips need horizontal pressure to release and rarely release with the vertical pressure of the rod/line. Not trying to sell anyone on them, just pretty excited about seeing them being produced again. Wasnt sure how many guys on here would have seen something like this

Also less chance of a false release on the drop. These clips need horizontal pressure to release and rarely release with the vertical pressure of the rod/line.

For that reason alone I am not convinced this would be a good option for us in Sooke because there are a great many small salmon 10 inches to 3lbs, often hatchery Chinook out there recently. For that reason we often have to release the release clip vertically by pulling on the rod and recently I have been setting the release clip shallow to make it easier to release these little salmon off the release clip to get them up gently and release them while we are searching for larger salmon. If they could not be released easily off the clip with vertical pressure, that would mean they would have to come up attached to the downrigger cable and that would be hard on them as our high speed Scottys are so fast they would put a lot of stress on the little salmon.

I think I will stick with the yellow tips and lets others experiment and see what kind of results they are getting.

FWIW 80lb braid is the same diameter as 30lb mono and holds in the regular Scotty releases perfectly in all fishing scenarios I've tried.

Also, a top shot of mono gives you a slight shock absorber and something to break if you get hung up. If your braid to top shot knot is causing you grief you are using the wrong knot.

Also, a top shot of mono gives you a slight shock absorber and something to break if you get hung up. If your braid to top shot knot is causing you grief you are using the wrong knot.
Roger that, simple uni-knot solves it. I have run Suffix 832 braid for many years now, using a 40 foot section of floro as top shot for the release clip. Works just fine. Scotty clips are cheaper too....just thinking losing the odd cannon ball with a $50 pro-release clip would be even more painful on the pocket book.

We've been running full braid for 15+ years in the Scotty clips with no major issues. 50 and 60 lb braid works great. We have 40lb on one rod that can be a little annoying when fishing deep. We've tried the top shot thing and it's ok. I could take it or leave it. It sounds like you've found a clip that your happy with and that's all that matters but it is a little spendy for me.

Back