How do you drop your traps?

I've realised through this thread that everyone THINKS they're doing something but more than likely have no idea where/how the traps actually land. I think there's prawns everywhere and anywhere at one point or another and if they're there en masse you're going to catch a few. Or a few hundred. It's a great bloody time either way.

Sometimes this happens! :eek:
Resized_IMG-20191107-WA0006_222260914498745.jpeg

I use an ex-commercial trap is my first trap ( heavier ) , then snap on another trap every 50'. About 25' after last trap, I snap on a chunk of old chain ( why use expensive cannonballs ) to avoid bouncing the traps if it blows. I set with the wind/tide at a slow idle . Once last trap is tossed in, I hold the line fast to make sure traps are well-spaced and are likely hanging the right way and allow the heavier first trap to take the string to the bottom. Carry on until all line is out, flip out the buoys and carry on..
Isn’t there a rule for recreational fishing for two traps per line, four per person? Your post seems like you’re attaching a lot of traps to a single line

Isn’t there a rule for recreational fishing for two traps per line, four per person? Your post seems like you’re attaching a lot of traps to a single line
I believe if you run more than 2(3 or 4 max)then you have to have a second float and tag line. Defeats purpose in my opinion, heavier on puller and you still need another 4-500’ length of rope if your prawning legally. Better just to fish 2 strings, 2 traps per. Your right about 4 per person w/ a tidal license.
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/docs/prawn-trap-piege-crevette-eng.pdf

Last edited:
I believe if you run more than 2(3 or 4 max)then you have to have a second float and tag line. Defeats purpose in my opinion, heavier on puller and you still need another 4-500’ length of rope if your prawning legally. Better just to fish 2 strings, 2 traps per. Your right about 4 per person w/ a tidal license.
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/docs/prawn-trap-piege-crevette-eng.pdf
Also don't forget that the limit is 200 per license WITH a marked buoy. If you're taking a guest with you, using your 4 traps only and expect to catch over 200 then mark at least one of your buoys with their name on it.

The more you know...

Also don't forget that the limit is 200 per license WITH a marked buoy. If you're taking a guest with you, using your 4 traps only and expect to catch over 200 then mark at least one of your buoys with their name on it.

The more you know...
Really? Where did you get this info? I haven’t read the regs lately, but I don’t recall reading this rule. Seems like a silly rule to me. As long as you have enough licences aboard to cover the prawns you catch you should be fine, no?
I fish with lots of different people. Doesn’t seem practical to keep changing the name & phone numbers on one Scotty.
Mind you, as yet, being over a single limit hasn’t been a “problem”.

Really? Where did you get this info? I haven’t read the regs lately, but I don’t recall reading this rule. Seems like a silly rule to me. As long as you have enough licences aboard to cover the prawns you catch you should be fine, no?
I fish with lots of different people. Doesn’t seem practical to keep changing the name & phone numbers on one Scotty.
Mind you, as yet, being over a single limit hasn’t been a “problem”.
It's what I read somewhere once and confirmed recently by a guide. It's why they have duct tape and a sharpie on board. Same goes for crab. One name on two taps = four crab. Whether or not you get cought and hassled about it is another thing altogether... like netting the Fraser.

I have a bunch of leftover white gillnett floats, easy to Sharpie a name and number then slide it on the scotchman line.

It's what I read somewhere once and confirmed recently by a guide. It's why they have duct tape and a sharpie on board. Same goes for crab. One name on two taps = four crab. Whether or not you get cought and hassled about it is another thing altogether... like netting the Fraser.

This is incorrect, a license holder is entitled to their daily limit whether it comes from
1 trap or more.
If three people can get their 4 crab limit out of one trap, no problem.

This is incorrect, a license holder is entitled to their daily limit whether it comes from
1 trap or more.
If three people can get their 4 crab limit out of one trap, no problem.
What if they're fishing more than one trap?

There are all kinds of people, pro's included that don't understand the regs.
for example you can run as many rods as you like off your boat as long as there is only
one lure/bait per line and you don't exceed your daily catch limit.

Last edited:
There are all kinds of people, pro's included that don't understand the regs.
for example you can run as many rods as you like off your boat as long as there is only
one lure/bait per line and you don't exceed your daily catch limit.
Unless there are people on board that don't have a valid license then it's 1 rod per license. Don't ask me how i know this

no, tickets were involved
Hmn. That's crazy.

So I thought the rule was you can only fish one rod if there are other people on board that don't have licences. I fish four rods by myself all the time.

Edit... ok we agree then lol.

Unless there are people on board that don't have a valid license then it's 1 rod per license. Don't ask me how i know this
Really ?
I have a hard time believing that I can't run two rods on my boat with an un-licensed
person aboard as long as they are not handling the fishing gear.

You know i'm finally starting to understand why guys i have gotten to know on this forum like Jackel, Sculpin, Fish Assassin and others just said **** this forum and the experts that post on here.

I was in the guiding business for 38 years and this isn't the first time i was trying to relate some of my experiences and was told i was full of ****....kind of getting sick of it

Do whatever you want ....i don't give a ****

Back