2019 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump. Nobody? Someone has to know a plumber looking for work over there.

Oh you're absolutely right. Just trying to target the right audience ;) You guys still fishing over there?!

Bit of a late report but seeing how there aren’t many reports lately, thought I would post it anyways. Went out a few days ago for a couple hours. Dropped a couple prawn traps for a very quick soak as plans had changed and I only had two hours before dark. Dropped first the downrigger down to 212 ft and was getting the other rod ready when the first shaker was on. Released beside the boat unharmed. Got the second rod out and within minutes had a nice fish on. This fish took some line and felt like a descent fish, but lost him half way up. In the next two hours, had 8 strikes with 5 to the boat and three lost. Two looked just under and were released boatside. What a great day on the water (fairly calm) and very good winter fishing.

Oly

Bit of a late report but seeing how there aren’t many reports lately, thought I would post it anyways. Went out a few days ago for a couple hours. Dropped a couple prawn traps for a very quick soak as plans had changed and I only had two hours before dark. Dropped first the downrigger down to 212 ft and was getting the other rod ready when the first shaker was on. Released beside the boat unharmed. Got the second rod out and within minutes had a nice fish on. This fish took some line and felt like a descent fish, but lost him half way up. In the next two hours, had 8 strikes with 5 to the boat and three lost. Two looked just under and were released boatside. What a great day on the water (fairly calm) and very good winter fishing.

Oly
Where were yah fishing?

Yep. There fish around in the winter. I prefer going down to Porlier Pass. Drag bottom off of Galiano.

Any reports from out front or Tent Island? Hoping to get out over the holidays.

13B51D70-F995-418C-BEA2-0B12BB5CF308.png
Any reports from out front or Tent Island? Hoping to get out over the holidays.

Was out with @ExFlyGuy last Sunday and caught a nice keeper spring. 71cm. Was delicious. My first winter spring to eat since moving here. Caught a few prawns and a couple red rock crabs. Little rough but fishable.

Side note. Tried a few places for crabbing but have yet to get any Dungeness keepers. Don’t want any secret spots but wondering where’s a spot to try for a couple crabs. PM if you would like. Great day in the water.

Oly

Nice fish. There's often lots of traps in Departure Bay. I've tried off Jack Point a few times but its tough to get a keeper. The areas been hit hard over the years.

Nice fish. There's often lots of traps in Departure Bay. I've tried off Jack Point a few times but its tough to get a keeper. The areas been hit hard over the years.

Yah that’s been our experience as well. Will keep plugging away looking for a couple spots to get a few keepers. There has to be a few out there.

Oly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back