ISO Prawn Traps

Ended up grabbing these ones. Very sturdy looking. The guys son came and dropped them off in Vancouver. Confirmed 12lb which is great. Ladners rec traps that are in stock at various stores are "about 8lbs". They do make heavier ones but are special order. Oh and these ones are Tideline brand which seems to be an importer from China I'm assuming? Not sure if this seller owns the rights or just had extras. So there yah go. Thanks for all the help guys.

This is kind of interesting. From RC's link above.

The retrieval line is made of 5/16 also and is offset to help make the trap land correctly,also to keep the prawn to one side when pulling.

Do all traps have retrieval line offset?

The retrieval line is made of 5/16 also and is offset to help make the trap land correctly,also to keep the prawn to one side when pulling.

For sure no. But I did see this specced on a few traps in my search. See how it goes I guess

I believe it’s more of a commercial thing since they’re dropping a long set of them while motoring at a few kts, helps them land flat. I like to do the same when dropping 2 on a string to help spread them out, offset retrieval line sure doesn’t hurt.

Ended up grabbing these ones. Very sturdy looking. The guys son came and dropped them off in Vancouver. Confirmed 12lb which is great. Ladners rec traps that are in stock at various stores are "about 8lbs". They do make heavier ones but are special order. Oh and these ones are Tideline brand which seems to be an importer from China I'm assuming? Not sure if this seller owns the rights or just had extras. So there yah go. Thanks for all the help guys.
Solid looking traps they will kill it.. nice and heavy

The Father-in-law and I came up with a way to weight the traps up to 25lbs and keep them stackable.. we took a 2x4 and dadoed out a channel in the middle, poured long strips of molten lead, let them cool, knocked them out of the mould and cut them to length. Lastly we formed them around the base of the trap and attached them with heavy duty zip-ties. They have been going strong for 5+ years. With such heavy perimeter weighting the traps are incredibly accurate on the drop, land properly on the bottom, and fish amazing as they don’t move whatsoever being 25lbs. They were actually over 30lbs to start so we placed two strips of lead on opposite sides of the trap.

View attachment 48621

View attachment 48623

@Raincity

Boom. So you were the guy lol! I basically did the same thing-ish. I was going to make them long and skinny but felt like I might not have enough lead. These are pretty narrow still, I'm sure they'll still stack.

Rog, nice work. If they don’t stack proper, worst case you can melt them back down and redesign.

A couple of well placed small bungee cords fixes loose mesh quickly.

yes, but that also stretches it more. the inevitable is either too big of holes or flappy mesh.

I bought a couple of the new plasticized square traps, out fished my mesh set ridiculously.
PNT has em.

yes, but that also stretches it more. the inevitable is either too big of holes or flappy mesh.

I bought a couple of the new plasticized square traps, out fished my mesh set ridiculously.
PNT has em.

I have a lot already invested in my traps, weights, lines etc.. If I was starting out again I might consider going to square traps ( I have one that is no better and no worse than round commercial traps-- except for the smaller deck space they take on the boat ) BUT I have found the critical issue is not a bit of loose web. What make the most difference in catching capability for any trap is the line or trap getting slapped around by current or waves. I have a 5lb dive weight on each side of the bottom ring ( zap strapped on ) and just as important.... another 5lb weight on the line 15 ft from the trap. My traps DONT move. :D

So much better to make your own square traps and cheaper. With box traps you make them whatever size you want. I buy my supplies (link below), and sure they can ship to Vancouver. I buy all the rope etc there as well. Going to make some more coming up here I think.

https://www.aquapacificwire.com/

Maybe you know the people who are making these and hopefully this isn't the case.. . but they look very similar to the ones made in China. Check out Alibaba
$12 - $35 bucks USD.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...ml?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.1.258e4765jWg0Om
Just saw traps for sale on CL ...cut and paste.. looked like ladners, i wouldn’t know how to even go about looking who makes them...

I don't have time to research i'm to busy fishing or cooking... ;)

Back