Hook modifications

I have used a pair of semi needle nose pliers and started just below the tip with a gentle bend. Then reached down farther onto the shank and grabbed with the pliers on an angle and given another gentle bend. The pliers sometimes slip on the second bend but usually do the job. I have broken one hook tip this way but usually does a good job.

Hope this helps

Oly

I have used a pair of semi needle nose pliers and started just below the tip with a gentle bend. Then reached down farther onto the shank and grabbed with the pliers on an angle and given another gentle bend. The pliers sometimes slip on the second bend but usually do the job. I have broken one hook tip this way but usually does a good job.
That's pretty much what I do too-found it's important to use the right pliers some are much more suited to the job-you can't see the horizontal cross hatching on the jaws of these old things but they're the best I've found.

20191024-220929-1.jpg

Attachments

• 20191024_220929[1].jpg
    20191024_220929[1].jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 9
Why not heat the tip with a torch first. Such a thin piece of steel should only take a moment to heat. Thing I'm not sure of do you allow it to cool or do you dunk it in cold water. Not totally up on my metals in this way. Maybe someone who has more experience with heating and cooling steel could pipe up. My two cents.

I don’t think you want to screw with the factory temper on the hooks. I think the experts there are way more advanced in their knowledge of metallurgy than most of us. If you can’t make a bend with pliers, then you might want to fish the hooks you buy them. Most hooks will however take a little tweaking before breaking. Just gotta find that sweet spot prior to breaking.

As an old adage from experienced mechanics used to say. Tighten the nut to a 1/4 turn before it snaps. Should do the trick.

Oly

I’ve found once a hook is bent in any way it loses much of its strength and is far more susceptible to opening up with a decent fish on. Just my 0.02.

I have never had a problem finding a hook that is already bent-in for all the hook applications I have.

Back