Juvenile Sablefish in Discovery Passage

Bugs

Fishing Green Sea Bay for Chum last weekend caught this little guy on an Anchovy. A first for me. Has anyone else caught juvenile Sablefish on the inside?IMG_1703.JPG

I heard of people in the past catching adults in traps really deep at the bottom of Jervis Inlet but stopped as the six gill sharks were destroying the traps trying to get at the bait.

Two years ago in Rupert they were everywhere it was hard to get a bait down. They even made halibut fishing tough in some areas.

Looks like something had a go at it while it was hooked up-how else do you explain the teeth marks on it's back?

We get them all over up at Telegraph Cove

We get them all over up at Telegraph Cove

Fishing Green Sea Bay for Chum last weekend caught this little guy on an Anchovy. A first for me. Has anyone else caught juvenile Sablefish on the inside?View attachment 48694
I caught a few around Beecher Bay last winter, 3 in Whirl Bay I believe and one in the channel by Cheanuh Marina. Also a few the winter before in Whirl Bay (all right on bottom).
...Rob

Interesting, if they are in Johnstone St and JDF no surprise they are in Discovery Passage... I had certainly never seen one before.
And yes @Dogbreath something nailed it. It was a fairly fresh injury, but I think from before it was on the hook. We certainly never even saw a bite (but then Chum fishing was so bad we had pretty much stopped watching!)

A few years ago they were THICK at the LH at Nootka. Some offshore Esperanza.
Couple of years ago they were a nuisance in Hakai Pass

This year I caught one in my Prawn trap... No prawns in that haul....

20+ years ago we caught them in whirl bay of vic as others have stated. Real good hali bait, stayed alive on hook for long time, dogs liked them less and a wiggling rod tip made you get up and get ready for what came next many times. Maybe they are returning?

HM

When the Ebb tide flows at Stewart Island, they get pushed from the depths and the Eagles feed on them. It is a sight to see.

There has been a lot of them at swiftsure the last couple years, So many they have made salmon fishing hard at times.

With all the rubber, and scents today, no need to use real live bait unless you want doggies. Would not use today, but would like to catch a couple for old time sake.

HM

Back