With the stuh-uh-uh-uhterring Drama Queen back in power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe that the people in that riding chose Wilkinson over Saxton again!

It was disappointing to see Wilkinson elected again. Death by 1000 cuts to saltwater fishing will continue. I guess I'll break out the fly tying equipment, it'll be trout fishing only soon.

The country is more divided than ever. Zero Liberal seats in Alta. Almost the same in Sask. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say we’ll see a western separatist party. It’ll get lots of support in Alta/Sask, and probably limited support in BC. The Bloc is getting attention. Why not the west.

The country is more divided than ever. Zero Liberal seats in Alta. Almost the same in Sask. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say we’ll see a western separatist party. It’ll get lots of support in Alta/Sask, and probably limited support in BC. The Bloc is getting attention. Why not the west.
Unfortunately a western separatist party would only help the liberals as it would take away all conservative votes ensuring a liberal/Ndp coalition forever. That is of course if they stayed within the present system. Real separation might be in order but not really viable as Alta and Sask have no tidewater access and you'll never get enough people in BC to agree--but maybe Manitoba???

Alberta separation talk is just venting. Look at Quebec, a French society in the middle of a large English country with significant social and cultural differences, not to mention significant political baggage like the FLQ crisis abuse of powers. Separatist sentiments are so pervasive in Quebec that it continues to drive both their provincial and federal politics and yet popular support for actual separation, while close, has never reached critical mass. Simply having popular support itself isn’t enough and we need look no further than the Brexit fiasco, and Englands a sovereign country just trying to break economic ties with the EU. Quebec is a massive Province, rich with diverse resources including Arctic, Atlantic and St Lawrence seaway coastline. Alberta is landlocked and would risk becoming a second-class US state.

In any case, it’s a long way from reality as the vocal support is around 1% of the population, so even accounting for the silent minority they’re a long way from Quebec’s level of separatist support. Having said that, what shouldn’t be lost is the very real sentiment of alienation and I would hope all the parties heading back to parliament with a minority government mandate from the electorate take it seriously.

Also, in all the talk and commentary of the obvious East-West divide in this election I feel another serious divide is being overlooked: the urban-rural divide, which is at least as significant as the Eastern vs Western differences. If those of us who don’t live in this country’s urban centres feel our interests aren’t being properly represented now, as the urban demographic continues to grow, it is only going to get worse!

Cheers!

Ukee

Also, in all the talk and commentary of the obvious East-West divide in this election I feel another serious divide is being overlooked: the urban-rural divide, which is at least as significant as the Eastern vs Western differences.

Bingo Even people in Ontario that are outside of the GTA think that Toronto is controlling everything. There is a huge urban-rural divide.

Nailed it. Alberta could separate with rural BCs support. Vancouver proper could remain a part of Toronada.

As dysfunctional as the Quebec separatist movement is they still control a huge piece of the pie in government. Perhaps Alberta could have that squeaky wheel effect also with this new(ish) movement. The best way to gain real support for your ideals is to make your supporters angry. People are louder when they're angry.

Lets face it -a huge part of this western anger towards the East is the very unequal Equalization formula. You have to ask -how can it be that Quebec gets 11.8 Billion dollars while BC. Alta Sask , Man. Get zero. BUT of course-the East controls parliament and so controls the formula that allows this inequality to exist

Not sure if many have heard/seen about this proposed luxury tax on boats over $100k.

With Wilkinson the directive of the following letter.....lord knows he will listen to nobody. :confused::rolleyes::confused::eek:

Shame on you folks in North Van. :mad:

https://www.boatingbc.ca/down/eJwFw...DdxfuSFbp5DaIYW9wX_eef9sJbM2LwdhxNJG_hsTjFx_4

This PDF is misleading.

Over 85% of boats sold in Canada are sourced from the U.S. or Europe and our Canadian dollar is currently weak - this means a $75,000 boat in the U.S. would be subject to this new tax should a reelected Liberal government choose to implement it. Boats are not luxury items. Thousands of middleclass Canadian families choose fishing boats, pontoon boats, ski and tow boats or others as their preferred recreational sport. These families will be forced to look at alternative sources of recreation as they will refuse to pay another tax so that they can boat.

Here is a quote from CTV News.

Corporate and tech crackdown, luxury tax

In an effort to help generate new revenue and crack down on corporate tax evasion, the Liberals would introduce new tax measures that’ll hit wealthy Canadians and are promising regulations for multinational tech companies.

The Liberals would impose a 10 per cent luxury goods sales tax applied at point of sale, for purchases of personal cars, boats, and aircraft that are valued at $100,000 or more. This, according to the PBO, will bring in $585 million in 2020-21, rising to $622 million in 2023-24.

And, changes would come to corporate taxation under a re-elected Liberal government. They would review current policies to ensure the wealthy aren’t benefitting unfairly, and target tax avoidance and corporate tax loopholes. The PBO has estimated that the corporate tax crackdown could bring in $459 million in the current 2019-20 fiscal year, and would raise $1.7 billion in 2020-21.
https://election.ctvnews.ca/liberal...-spending-in-2019-election-platform-1.4615849

Lets face it -a huge part of this western anger towards the East is the very unequal Equalization formula. You have to ask -how can it be that Quebec gets 11.8 Billion dollars while BC. Alta Sask , Man. Get zero. BUT of course-the East controls parliament and so controls the formula that allows this inequality to exist

The equalization formula was changed under the Harper Government and Jason Kenny was in on this. If we want to blame someone then those two have some explaining to do.

Unfortunately a western separatist party would only help the liberals as it would take away all conservative votes ensuring a liberal/Ndp coalition forever. That is of course if they stayed within the present system. Real separation might be in order but not really viable as Alta and Sask have no tidewater access and you'll never get enough people in BC to agree--but maybe Manitoba???
Yup that's about right. However Manitoba has come out and said were are not going to entertain any ideas of separation.

Last edited:
The best way to gain real support for your ideals is to make your supporters angry. People are louder when they're angry.

Bingo.... Create a boogie man then tell your supports that you will fight to the death, now who is with me.

Fellas need to start looking under the hood before you buy this used car from these salesmen.

I left kebec,back in the 70's Best thing i ever did. Could not put up a ''shop sign'' in english only !!!!!!
IDIOTS voted pierre's idiot child back in for another 4 years......
Some days ya just gotta shake your head and smile !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never again will i say i'm canadian...i'm a vancouver islander....

I left kebec,back in the 70's Best thing i ever did. Could not put up a ''shop sign'' in english only !!!!!!
IDIOTS voted pierre's idiot child back in for another 4 years......
Some days ya just gotta shake your head and smile !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never again will i say i'm canadian...i'm a vancouver islander....

Here’s your flag

upload_2019-10-24_22-25-43.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back