Cope Design - Cortes Island 30 Build

I was going to have a cold water tap/sink just inside the cabin door on the starboard side...I don't think that it would be that hard to add a second sink out there would it? I should just be able to run a T off the main and a pump switch. I think that is not a bad idea at all...let me put some thought into it.

WW
I have two sinks inside and a raw water wash down but I still added a fresh water shower box out back for washing gear and the occasional after swim rinse :)

I have the hot/cold fresh water wash down in the back and think it would be more useful than a sink. I wash the deck down, my down riggers, rods, tackle, etc. Plus as RC says you can rinse off if swimming.
Maybe you could have a sink with a pull out faucet?

I have the hot/cold fresh water wash down in the back and think it would be more useful than a sink. I wash the deck down, my down riggers, rods, tackle, etc. Plus as RC says you can rinse off if swimming.
Maybe you could have a sink with a pull out faucet?
I was 100% going to have a freshwater wash down on the aft deck. I have a 25 gallon water tank going in. I’m not going to put in hot water at least to start. I can’t see myself using it much. I’m not even sure that I’ll put a raw water wash down in. I’d like to not have any hull penetrations below the waterline if I can help it. Thoughts on that?

WW

I was 100% going to have a freshwater wash down on the aft deck. I have a 25 gallon water tank going in. I’m not going to put in hot water at least to start. I can’t see myself using it much. I’m not even sure that I’ll put a raw water wash down in. I’d like to not have any hull penetrations below the waterline if I can help it. Thoughts on that?

WW

make sure your thru hulls are done properly with a valve and you’ll be fine I think you would regret not having a wash down pump

make sure your thru hulls are done properly with a valve and you’ll be fine I think you would regret not having a wash down pump
My marina has fresh water and I’ll have a dedicated fresh water washdown on board with a decent size fresh water tank. I think I may just try that to start instead of having both is all that I was thinking. It’s easy enough to add at any point.

My marina has fresh water and I’ll have a dedicated fresh water washdown on board with a decent size fresh water tank. I think I may just try that to start instead of having both is all that I was thinking. It’s easy enough to add at any point.
Yup fairly easy to add after personal preference is all Ideally I’m using mine all day cleaning blood haha doesn’t always work that way
Been following this build closely awesome boat

I only had fresh water on the last boat and it sure is nice having raw water on the new one to just hose to your hearts delight. Don't even think twice about how much I'm using now. Then I give the gear a quick spray with the fresh to clean up the salt or do it back at the dock. When you're on a trip you'll especially appreciate both.

It is nice having limitless amounts of water to wash down the deck (salt water) and it can be done without cutting a hole in the bottom for a thru-hull by running a hose overboard at the transom.If you ever fish tuna you'll need it. I had one on one of my boats and it worked fine.I'm with you on keeping holes in hull to a minimum.

It is nice having limitless amounts of water to wash down the deck (salt water) and it can be done without cutting a hole in the bottom for a thru-hull by running a hose overboard at the transom.If you ever fish tuna you'll need it. I had one on one of my boats and it worked fine.I'm with you on keeping holes in hull to a minimum.

Could install the intake on a transom mounted bracket and run the hose into a through hull well above the water line.

Our boat has a raw water and a 20 Gal fresh tank. I like to use the raw water to hose off all the mess and then rinse everything immediately with the fresh before anything dries.

WRT props. I ran a 305 Grady express that I repowered with 300 G2’s. The boat was about 13,000lbs loaded with fuel and modest fishing/camping gear with 3 guys. I initially Spec’d it with RX4 18P. the boat ran well. Then we switched to merc Enertia ECO’s 18P. The boat still made WOT, I picked up 2mph at the top end but where I was the most happy was I picked up another 2-3mph at cruise and made another 10-12% fuel economy vs the rx4 at the same cruise speed. As well, the larger diameter ecos at 16” vs 15.25” of the rx4 gave me way more reverse authority and better response at slow speed. It took a bit of playing around with engine height and props but it was worth it in the end for the cruise economy and slow speed maneuvering.
the snap of those G2’s off the holeshot was incredible. The adding oil was tolerable, expensive, but tolerable. I agree that the G2’s are better fuel economy than the 4 strokes, but after you add in the cost of oil, it’s pretty much a wash from my experience of about 300hrs on G2’s and 350 verados.
I now run 350 verados with 18P ecos on my 33 profish and aside from the holeshot, they’re great engines so far.
A boat of your caliber needs 10 hrs of fuel at cruise, sounds like you’ve nailed it with the amended tank spec. Well done.

if you can get a shock wave seat for the captain and co pilot, you’d really appreciate it. That’s one of my favourite parts of my boat. I only have the captain side done.

burnewin mounts are great. Put a couple extra on, you won’t regret it if that’s the way you choose to go.

not sure if you’ve considered net stowage yet while fishing yet? I put a hook on each rail about midship on the bow rail. The net stores fully extended and hangs off the hook. It’s reachable quickly from the deck and it’s out of the way while fishing. The net also stays there when you forget it and yer headed home at 40! Ask me how I know.

Paul
CC 33 Profish
Big Papa

Last edited:
WRT props. I ran a 305 Grady express that I repowered with 300 G2’s. The boat was about 13,000lbs loaded with fuel and modest fishing/camping gear with 3 guys. I initially Spec’d it with RX4 18P. the boat ran well. Then we switched to merc Enertia ECO’s 18P. The boat still made WOT, I picked up 2mph at the top end but where I was the most happy was I picked up another 2-3mph at cruise and made another 10-12% fuel economy vs the rx4 at the same cruise speed. As well, the larger diameter ecos at 16” vs 15.25” of the rx4 gave me way more reverse authority and better response at slow speed. It took a bit of playing around with engine height and props but it was worth it in the end for the cruise economy and slow speed maneuvering.
the snap of those G2’s off the holeshot was incredible. The adding oil was tolerable, expensive, but tolerable. I agree that the G2’s are better fuel economy than the 4 strokes, but after you add in the cost of oil, it’s pretty much a wash from my experience of about 300hrs on G2’s and 350 verados.
I now run 350 verados with 18P ecos on my 33 profish and aside from the holeshot, they’re great engines so far.
A boat of your caliber needs 10 hrs of fuel at cruise, sounds like you’ve nailed it with the amended tank spec. Well done.

if you can get a shock wave seat for the captain and co pilot, you’d really appreciate it. That’s one of my favourite parts of my boat. I only have the captain side done.

burnewin mounts are great. Put a couple extra on, you won’t regret it if that’s the way you choose to go.

not sure if you’ve considered net stowage yet while fishing yet? I put a hook on each rail about midship on the bow rail. The net stores fully extended and hangs off the hook. It’s reachable quickly from the deck and it’s out of the way while fishing. The net also stays there when you forget it and yer headed home at 40! Ask me how I know.

Paul
CC 33 Profish
Big Papa
Were the Merc props compatible with the G2’s??? I didn’t think that was possible. You have one fine boat, there was a 33 Profish in our marina this summer at Pacific Playgrounds and it had a constant flow of traffic checking it out. Would you happen to have any pics of how you store your net on the rails? Seems like a great idea to me. Thanks for the detail you put into your post, I appreciate everyone’s input. I am going to have Burnewin mounts on the boat for sure. I was super impressed with their quality.

Cheers,

WW

Those Eco’s are amazing props, if you have the clearance (and wallet) then they are worth trying on for size. I know they don’t fit Yamaha F300’s without shaving the zinc a bit to make room for the 16” diameter. They’ll pay for themselves quickly.

Definitely add a raw water wash down, we use ours all the time. Especially if you plan on overnighting on the boat on your fishing trips. We have a 30 Gal fresh water tank and when we are fishing and staying on the boat it will last ~3 days, for two people and not using it to wash off the deck. Last thing you want is to be worrying about when you are washing blood and scales off the deck - which takes a lot of water - is being able to flush the toilet later!

I’d add a through-hull pickup with ball valve, proven and preferred method for a reason. Much more elegant and clean install than having brackets/hoses hanging off your transom.

Good call on the hot water heater. We've only used ours a few times when plugged in to shore power and while nice, I don't think it is worth the cost/space or hassle when something inevitably goes wrong. Only makes sense IMO if you have a generator or install a diesel hydronic combined water and heater so you can use it on the water.

RE net stowage and Burnewiin mounts. We found if we put the Burnewiin rod holder facing toward the bow in the forward most mount, and set it parallel to the water line, you can put the net handle in the holder with the bag between the bow rail and cab and it works great (see photo). Net is out of the way, easy to get to (even one handed with a seal chasing a 20+ lb spring on the line...) and secure at cruise (the net might slide back along the top of the gunnel if your pounding through the waves, but it’s not going anywhere).

DEE5AC07-15AD-45C6-BB1F-8AE5483E08D3.jpeg

D6B7C93C-E26B-41AE-BF83-C68CA83FE919.jpeg BA1333B5-499B-4FA6-84D2-83D9885D1EE7.jpeg

try that? You get the idea anyway! yes on the props swap. If you have any questions, call Jaison at Haruna Sales Ltd. In Vancouver. He got me in to the G2’s to start, then we put a hub kit on to accept the ECO’s. It was the bees knees.

Well an update on my boat build is long overdue. I was hoping to have had it complete by now but there have been a few bumps in the road. The quality of fabrication continues to be top-notch. I think with the nice big Lewmar hatch and port lights that the cuddy will have a ton of light in it. It won't see the water this summer but that's okay. Stay safe everyone!

WW

Attachments

• Cope-30-1.gif
    Cope-30-1.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 238
  • Cope-30-2.gif
    Cope-30-2.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 234
  • Cope-30-3.gif
    Cope-30-3.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 222
  • Cope-30-4.gif
    Cope-30-4.gif
    950.6 KB · Views: 221
  • Cope-30-5.gif
    Cope-30-5.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 222
  • Cope-30-6.gif
    Cope-30-6.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 214
  • Cope-30-7.gif
    Cope-30-7.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 206
  • Cope-30-8.gif
    Cope-30-8.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 211
  • Cope-30-9.gif
    Cope-30-9.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 234
Thx, just got drool all over my iPad! Looking great, beautiful lines! Not sure what it is about raw aluminum hull and cabin shells in these types of build threads ... maybe because you really get to see the bones of the boat it’s gonna be. Gonna be one hell of a boat!

Cheers!

Ukee

diesel heat with hydronic, having hot water to wash your hands or ( the wifes face) ,especially overnighting is a god send. something to think about that you never really think you'd like until you have it. one of my favorite things is having a hot fresh water tap on board.

Back