ISO Prawn Traps

I will be heading over the end of November if that works for you. Let me know and I can pick them up whenever.

Oly
Thanks Oly but these guys just learned me good on the perils of used traps :confused:. The search for new traps continues. Appreciate the offer though man that's awesome.

Put a wrap of 1/4” chain around the bottom. Buy the $50 stainless.
I did something like that on my old ones and it just became a pain in the butt. Cane loose, wore out the mesh prematurely. I don't mind paying more for quality this time around. I'm dialed in ;)

Then buy the Ladners traps from either the PNT or High water and save yourself a lot of $$ and headache in the long run.
I asked highwater and they said their ladners are only 8lbs. Doesn't seem right. I can't get ahold of anyone at PNT.

https://www.harbourchandler.ca/shop...n-traps/sea-king-rigid-ss-prawn-trap-28-quot/

Why would you not just buy new? I very rarely read the used ads anymore because people want nearly as much as it costs to buy brand new.

I’m old school buy old and fix it up, before the season starts i tighten up the mesh, adjust the prawn entrance holes, change out the rubber and some other modifications, all my ladners i bought each for 15-30$ here and there over the years, they do very well... biggest thing if they get ripped off I’m not gonna sweat it..

I’m old school buy old and fix it up, before the season starts i tighten up the mesh, adjust the prawn entrance holes, change out the rubber and some other modifications, all my ladners i bought each for 15-30$ here and there over the years, they do very well... biggest thing if they get ripped off I’m not gonna sweat it..
Yeah but you're retired. ;) or you sure as hell act like it lol.

I asked highwater and they said their ladners are only 8lbs. Doesn't seem right. I can't get ahold of anyone at PNT.
There’s smaller versions out there as well that might be 8 pounds. Maybe that’s what they are talking about? Small ones work good apparently

Yeah but you're retired. ;) or you sure as hell act like it lol.
I wish last year of UBC for my last kid then relax a bit maybe.. go stainless steel for your boat, most of mine are heavy steel rubber coated
which in time get banged up and rust in spots, i remove it from my boat, if you store it on your boat it will stain the fibre glass...

but i much prefer the 28" heavy rubber coated steel ones...;)

I think I’m using the smaller Ladner pots that I bought from PNT and added 6lbs weight to one of them. Seems to be working Ok but then I’m fairly new to the prawning business. What issues were you having with adding weight?

I think I’m using the smaller Ladner pots that I bought from PNT and added 6lbs weight to one of them. Seems to be working Ok but then I’m fairly new to the prawning business. What issues were you having with adding weight?
It's just not neccessary with the right traps. Call me OCD. I've done the mickey mouse thing and now that I'm good at it I want to fully trust my gear.

The Father-in-law and I came up with a way to weight the traps up to 25lbs and keep them stackable.. we took a 2x4 and dadoed out a channel in the middle, poured long strips of molten lead, let them cool, knocked them out of the mould and cut them to length. Lastly we formed them around the base of the trap and attached them with heavy duty zip-ties. They have been going strong for 5+ years. With such heavy perimeter weighting the traps are incredibly accurate on the drop, land properly on the bottom, and fish amazing as they don’t move whatsoever being 25lbs. They were actually over 30lbs to start so we placed two strips of lead on opposite sides of the trap.

44331B7D-32A5-4FA5-B059-2D1D74D468D8.jpeg

05E71A84-8C40-45D5-B2A4-CC69DB24D35B.jpeg

Drop by sealtec (sp?) on river road in Ladner and buy the Ladner traps direct from the factory. pick the size you want..
Yeah, my buddy tried that last year but the guy wasn’t in a good mode and didn’t sell him the smaller pots. He went next day and he had them ready for for sale :D
The price diff. Between the factory and PNT/high water is only a few bucks. For me, it wasn’t worth driving all the way down to River Rd.

Back