Cope Design - Cortes Island 30 Build

Further to my previous comment, I've really appreciated the comments and suggestions so far so please keep them coming. There is a hell of a lot of great experience here on the forum that I just love tapping into.
I’m basically getting the boat fabricated until lockup (all windows and doors in). Then I’ll be hauling it home to start the process of putting it together. It’ll be full custom and I’m sourcing everything myself. I’ve got a good idea how I want things but am still on the fence with a few things.
Hey Waterwolf, looking to have a boat fabricated next winter and bring it from lock up to finish myself. Any info on sourcing your gear and rigging would be awesome. Look forward to the posts to come! Cheers.

bummer
a buddy has a Cope designed boat
really nice designs
I agree just a bit more fuel, sometimes it is not about range but rough water pickup of fuel
high water alarms ?

Well an update has been a long time coming! Its frustrating not being able to upload from my phone with the forum limiting the picture sizes etc. Anyway, the boat is coming along just awesome. I spent probably 10hrs last week going through every single little detail with the owner Leon and the fabricator. The starboard door is 32" wide to allow a wheelchair which was a great suggestion from them. They are working on the roof overhang right now. I changed a few things from the initial Cope Design which is taking longer than anticipated, but now it will be exactly how I wanted it. Its been a real pleasure working with Leon from Cutting Edge Aluminum. The guy is so passionate and knowledgeable for building aluminum boats. I'd say another month or so and the windows/door will be in and I can start working on rigging!

Cheers,

WW

Attachments

• Cope-Design-30-(4).gif
    Cope-Design-30-(4).gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 342
  • Cope-Design-30-(5).gif
    Cope-Design-30-(5).gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 353
  • Cope-Design-30-(3).gif
    Cope-Design-30-(3).gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 345
  • Cope-Design-30-(7).gif
    Cope-Design-30-(7).gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 334
  • Cope-Design-30-(2).gif
    Cope-Design-30-(2).gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 329
  • Cope-Design-30-(6).gif
    Cope-Design-30-(6).gif
    710.6 KB · Views: 328
  • Cope-Design-30-(8).gif
    Cope-Design-30-(8).gif
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 325
  • Cope-Design-30-(1).gif
    Cope-Design-30-(1).gif
    614.3 KB · Views: 333
Oh man that’s gonna be one mean looking boat. Love the starboard door feature. Can’t wait to see the windows and doors in.

Oly

Thank you for sharing, you are going to have an amazing setup at the end of this. Lots of great guys with great ideas, have fun with it...:D

how much did it cost without power and electronics ?
can he do a 40 footer as well ?

I was planning twin 300 G2 Evinrudes for this build. A single 425 XTO I don’t think would be enough jam and two would be too much $$$ and too much HP. As for the pricing on my boat, this is a bit of a unique build as I’m just having the hull, fuel system and windows/doors done by Cutting Edge. The rest I’m subbing out and doing a bunch myself. I have some updated pics that I’ll post soon. They are doing an awesome job and exceeding my expectations so far...

I was planning twin 300 G2 Evinrudes for this build. A single 425 XTO I don’t think would be enough jam and two would be too much $$$ and too much HP. As for the pricing on my boat, this is a bit of a unique build as I’m just having the hull, fuel system and windows/doors done by Cutting Edge. The rest I’m subbing out and doing a bunch myself. I have some updated pics that I’ll post soon. They are doing an awesome job and exceeding my expectations so far...

The price on those 425’s is crazy. Almost buy a pair of 300’s for the cost of one.

Super happy with how the boat is coming together. The overhang on the aft deck will have 2 speakers and 3 downward facing lights along with rocket launchers off the back of it. We are putting a second storage cabinet on the port side opposite the helm. The seat boxes are also a nice touch. Most builders just make square boxes.

Cheers,

WW

Attachments

• Cope-30-(5).gif
    Cope-30-(5).gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 217
  • Cope-30-(1).gif
    Cope-30-(1).gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 216
  • Cope-30-(2).gif
    Cope-30-(2).gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
  • Cope-30-(4).gif
    Cope-30-(4).gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 207
  • Cope-30-(3).gif
    Cope-30-(3).gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 214
@Waterwolf2230;

You may find putting the speakers on the hardtop extension puts the sound too immediately in your ears and quite aggressive. Played with this and played with putting them along the transom under the transom locker. Ended up putting the speakers in the side shelves of the cockpit. Used JL Audio speakers with their small waterproof pods called VEX from their ATV/Golf cart line. They work reasonably well, the sound is not so 'in your face', they seem to be pretty good weather resistant wise thus far.

JL Vex non-illuminated drivers and pods;

https://www.jlaudio.com/m3-650vex-mb-s-gm-marine-audio-enclosed-speaker-systems-vex-93401

JL Vex mounting hardware options;

https://www.jlaudio.com/powersports-enclosed-speaker-systems-vex-mounting-hardware

Take a look here at the photo, just where the orange shore power cord attaches to the boat;

fishfinder - 1.jpeg

@Waterwolf2230;

You may find putting the speakers on the hardtop extension puts the sound too immediately in your ears and quite aggressive. Played with this and played with putting them along the transom under the transom locker. Ended up putting the speakers in the side shelves of the cockpit. Used JL Audio speakers with their small waterproof pods called VEX from their ATV/Golf cart line. They work reasonably well, the sound is not so 'in your face', they seem to be pretty good weather resistant wise thus far.

JL Vex non-illuminated drivers and pods;

https://www.jlaudio.com/m3-650vex-mb-s-gm-marine-audio-enclosed-speaker-systems-vex-93401

JL Vex mounting hardware options;

https://www.jlaudio.com/powersports-enclosed-speaker-systems-vex-mounting-hardware

Take a look here at the photo, just where the orange shore power cord attaches to the boat;

View attachment 48608

Me and my son saw you boat this year at the dock and loved it beauty of a boat. Our first time to that area.

Reactions: BCI
C4E87160-13B5-4760-8531-6DB37FEB9C8F.jpeg Looks awesome!

Re: the forthcoming port side storage box, have you considered adding a freshwater sink up top? I’m also building a boat right now (Coldwater) and optioned this (see pic above). Think it will be great for keeping hands clean and rinsing gear and generally staying on the deck longer.

Great thread, I’m getting some great ideas from this build. Best of luck to you.

Attachments

• 03703F18-94EE-458E-AB0A-88DBEA06CB0F.jpeg
    03703F18-94EE-458E-AB0A-88DBEA06CB0F.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 28
View attachment 48611 Looks awesome!

Re: the forthcoming port side storage box, have you considered adding a freshwater sink up top? I’m also building a boat right now (Coldwater) and optioned this (see pic above). Think it will be great for keeping hands clean and rinsing gear and generally staying on the deck longer.

Great thread, I’m getting some great ideas from this build. Best of luck to you.
I was going to have a cold water tap/sink just inside the cabin door on the starboard side...I don't think that it would be that hard to add a second sink out there would it? I should just be able to run a T off the main and a pump switch. I think that is not a bad idea at all...let me put some thought into it.

WW

Back