2019 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
What were you running on the handlines? Looks like just a Zuker or clone. Or is it a Dabo........looking on my phone so kinda hard to tell. Looked like a great over nighter!

One handline has a rabbit with a mexican flag clone. The other handlines were just the green zukers. I was running a diver for a while but not while I was catching fish. The rod had a one of those Lighthouse lure LED squid when it caught a fish. Not much of a spread but I didn't have much time to play around. I had some swimbaits in the water at one point...

Report for Sep 20-21. Headed West out of Ukee Friday towards Loudoun, dragged the lures through all the clear green water but didn't hit the blue water until about an hour before dark. Trolled South towards Barkley till dark with no sign and no hits. Drifted overnight without wind or much movement. Got up at 6 as the horizon was getting lighter , set autopilot towards Port Renfrew, and while I got the gear in the water I had a double on the two handlines before I was able to get a rod out. Brain spiked those fish and dropped them in the slush bucket and had two more waiting for me on the handlines. Into the slush with those. I didn't reset the handlines as I wanted one on the rod. It took about ten minutes but had one hit the rod. If I wasn't racing light and weather for home and if I didn't already have my 5 tuna that I wanted I would have stopped and played around a bit more. I deployed all the lines after getting the fish on ice but didn't have any hits until another half hour later or so with another single. Ran out of blue water but kept the lines in hoping for a green water hog...nope. I like processing 5 tuna at a time but it starts to become work after that.

Pic #1 Thanks to Ukee Ice for letting me load up!
Pic #2 I only travel at trolling speed so the gear is deployed in the brown water. No coho
Pic #3 The 'composting hole' in my galley counter tells me I've reached the blue water
Pic #4 Leaving the fish behind and headed for home
Pic #5 Getting cold.
Pic #6 Loined out
How does that work drifting overnight? Do you have a sea anchor? How far did you drift? Is it difficult to sleep? Do you worry about shipping traffic?

How does that work drifting overnight? Do you have a sea anchor? How far did you drift? Is it difficult to sleep? Do you worry about shipping traffic?

There was zero wind so a drift anchor wouldn't have done anything for me that night. The way points are on the boat gps so I'm not sure how far I drifted exactly but I think it was less than 5nm in 6 hour period. Drift speed is a function of wind, current, and boat type so expect lots of variation. I've personally never used a drift anchor but I've heard guys have mixed results. If there is wind and you can figure out how to set the drift anchor so that it actually holds your boat with the nose into the waves it would be beneficial.

I had my radar alarm, AIS, and set my alarm to make sure I didn't sleep for too long. It was basically an all nighter. Maritime law states that you can't go more than 20 minutes without having someone on watch (...something like that). If you have a good crew of guys it is best to switch off watch every couple hours so everyone gets some good rest.

Of course I'm worried about shipping traffic. And cruise ships. And other fishers, commercial or recreational. And yachts. And breaching whales. And fatigue. And incorrect weather forecasts. I also encountered the same log (very distinct) on two different days about 20 nm apart. As large as the ocean is there is also ALWAYS a chance of collision with something. You can only ever minimize the risk, never eliminate it. I'll do it again in a heartbeat.

There was zero wind so a drift anchor wouldn't have done anything for me that night. The way points are on the boat gps so I'm not sure how far I drifted exactly but I think it was less than 5nm in 6 hour period. Drift speed is a function of wind, current, and boat type so expect lots of variation. I've personally never used a drift anchor but I've heard guys have mixed results. If there is wind and you can figure out how to set the drift anchor so that it actually holds your boat with the nose into the waves it would be beneficial.

I had my radar alarm, AIS, and set my alarm to make sure I didn't sleep for too long. It was basically an all nighter. Maritime law states that you can't go more than 20 minutes without having someone on watch (...something like that). If you have a good crew of guys it is best to switch off watch every couple hours so everyone gets some good rest.

Of course I'm worried about shipping traffic. And cruise ships. And other fishers, commercial or recreational. And yachts. And breaching whales. And fatigue. And incorrect weather forecasts. I also encountered the same log (very distinct) on two different days about 20 nm apart. As large as the ocean is there is also ALWAYS a chance of collision with something. You can only ever minimize the risk, never eliminate it. I'll do it again in a heartbeat.
Well said!

For those of you that run the Yozuri Rabbits....what size do you think works best. I see them sold in three sizes....90....110....130mm. Are the small ones heavy enough or do they just skip and don't spin? I'd like to get a few this winter and appreciate not having to buy more than I need.

For those of you that run the Yozuri Rabbits....what size do you think works best. I see them sold in three sizes....90....110....130mm. Are the small ones heavy enough or do they just skip and don't spin? I'd like to get a few this winter and appreciate not having to buy more than I need.

As I've told others my experience is very limited and I'm sure someone on here has better advice but we ran 4 rods the 2 outside rods had 110mm rabbits and the inside rods had 90mm rabbits...

As I've told others my experience is very limited and I'm sure someone on here has better advice but we ran 4 rods the 2 outside rods had 110mm rabbits and the inside rods had 90mm rabbits...

Thanks! Did you notice any difference on how they worked? I was leaning towards getting the 110mm ones.

I ran 5 surface lines this year & 2 planar boards. I ran two of the lines with 110mm rabbits in front of zukers & then ran a 3rd centre line between them straight to a zuker with no rabbit (other two lines were on the outside with port & starboard birds). We hit lots of tuna on all lines including the centre line straight to the zuker. Next year I’m planning to go down to the 90mm on at least one of the lines to test it out - the less hardware on the line, the more fun it is to fight the tuna. I ran the ‘naked’ zuker about 15’ past the ones with rabbits so I’m pretty sure it benefited from fish that were attracted to the rabbits and then saw the centre zuker. Overall, I’d say the lines with rabbits caught more fish than the others. I kept the rabbit lines relatively low to the water (running off the transom corners) and think the 90mm would stay in contact with the water fine. If you ran them off outriggers or from rocket launchers, it’s possible they would skip more given they are lighter. But during those periods when the bite was on, it felt like almost anything with a hook would catch a tuna. Conversely, when the bite was off, we started questioning our speed, switching out gear, etc .... at one point we had trolled for two hours without a sniff of any kind ... and suddenly all 7 lines went off ... from zero to chaos in the blink of an eye! The planar board hand lines were racing around with tuna hooked up and the 5 surface lines were ripping off the reels! With only two of us on the boat, it was chaotic! Can’t wait until next year! :)

Awesome! Thanks Saratoga........ That's kind of what I was wondering about the 90mm ones. Like you say catching them naked with just a clone or Zuker would be best. I'd just like to get a few and have them as attractors even if it's to the other lures. I'm basically set up to fish a spread like the one you are doing. I'm all in next year as long as the water is doable like this year and not 90 miles out. Sounds like it was a great day!

I have one last gear related question and can’t really find a solid answer in it. I see the double tuna hooks come with two angles either 41 or 60 degree. Doesn’t anyone have a preference as to what ones seem to hold better. It’s the last thing I need to buy to entertain myself this winter making up some gear....:)

I have one last gear related question and can’t really find a solid answer in it. I see the double tuna hooks come with two angles either 41 or 60 degree. Doesn’t anyone have a preference as to what ones seem to hold better. It’s the last thing I need to buy to entertain myself this winter making up some gear....:)

You are definitely hyperoptimizing. That's a great way to pass the winter but if it is keeping you up at night you may want a healthier past time. My hooks all seem to be 40 degrees (commercial style like Derby mentioned). I can't say I've come across 60 degree. I doubt you'd ever notice whatever theoretical difference there is supposed to be between the two in action, hook up success, release mortality, etc... But, get some of both and let us know what you find!

And, have you thought about getting a few with barbs? I rigged my handlines with barbed hooks with the idea that I can let a hooked fish hang close to the boat (great in theory but tougher to execute in the chaos). So now you have to report back on barbed 40 degree vs barbless 40 and etc.

Btw, I like your 'last thing I need to buy' comment. That's cute.

I doubt you'd ever notice whatever theoretical difference there is supposed to be between the two in action, hook up success, release mortality, etc... But, get some of both and let us know what you find!

Btw, I like your 'last thing I need to buy' comment. That's cute.

Speaking of "cute".......the mention of release mortality in a tuna thread is adorable. :p:D:p;):p

Speaking of "cute".......the mention of release mortality in a tuna thread is adorable. :p:D:p;):p

Touche. I knew someone was going to pick up on that. Purely theoretical. Surpassed your possession limit or ability to ice? I've seen 8lb albacore so maybe an issue for high grading? Bycatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back