Status
Not open for further replies.
Have had great coho fishing from mid Oct to first week of Nov. in past years. Need some good tides and westerly winds. The big ones are yet to come IMO.

was out today , first went right out to the border fished there for about 1 hour , caught 1 hatchery maybe 2 pounds ,fished in towards carmana got 1 wild coho approx..7-8 pounds and 1 keepable spring ,fished from 7-1pm nice weather and smooth ocean......C.A.

Out off of Secretary from 9:30-2. Got a nice wild around 8 lbs within the first 30 minutes, then had a double early in the afternoon and managed to boat a 7ish hatchery. Awesome weather!

Thought we would give it another try today as wind/weather seemed OK. However, it was only very slightly better than yesterday. I.E. damn slow for early October. We got a small hatchery on a little spoon at 52’ around 8:30am, smaller than yesterday, and then spent the next couple of hours trolling the flat calm without a touch of any kind. Late morning the East wind came and the chop built to uncomfortable levels so we decided to head in a bit.

Ironically, I had switched to my favorite little herring in t.h. and we finally got a wild of 5lb (hooray!:) ) on the troll in and then another even smaller hatchery fish, both at 61’. Nothing at all after that so headed in at 1:30pm.

Consensus of fisher guys at Sunny Shores is most of the coho are indeed through, because of the huge rains in September that we do not normally get. Word is quite a few coho are in the Sooke river already. The Sooke fishing defenders on here may be right that a few coho are still to come, but it is unlikely to return to the bonanza that you guys enjoyed in September, which we unfortunately missed due to out of town commitments.

(And no doubt the ace fishers on here will catch a few when us mere mortals struggle vainly ;))

As a river fisherman I find last week of Oct,first week of Nov is the best for fresh silver coho in west coast rivers.So they might be coming still.

I am sorry but I am not getting September was the best coho I ever seen. They were seriously small, and undeveloped. There were pockets of them, but I wouldn't say it was best I have ever seen.

My biggest was coho I have ever gotten in this area 17lbs and one just shy of 20lb were in next few weeks. So what you dont get into 20 of them in 10 minutes, but it is the opportunity to land a bigger one. Troll fast, and don't be afraid to drop the lines. Englishman confidence buddy....:)

Last year was like this 2 remember?

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/2018-sooke-reports.67984/page-36

WELL I can tell you that the fish are not up my creek as there is no water in ....(coho spawn right here on my property in sooke) have you considered that a HUGE ebb tide may contribute to the problem? also you have to hit any tide lines you can find. coho,sockeye and pink fishing is totally different then spring fishing many different factor speed and hardware is all thats required also cross the current dont go with it when you find the school circle them do a grid pattern.
good luck wolf

WELL I can tell you that the fish are not up my creek as there is no water in ....(coho spawn right here on my property in sooke) have you considered that a HUGE ebb tide may contribute to the problem? also you have to hit any tide lines you can find. coho,sockeye and pink fishing is totally different then spring fishing many different factor speed and hardware is all thats required also cross the current dont go with it when you find the school circle them do a grid pattern.

good luck wolf

Thx Wolf. Good info’. We do go back and forth across the current trying to locate them, and vary depth, gear and speed. Found one tideline yesterday – unfortunately it was littered with kelp islands and loose floating kelp as well and so after a couple of hook-ups on that stuff, we moved on! LOL:)

I am sidelined due to an operation, but my buddy has been having 15+ fish hookup mornings. They are out there. No need to run all the way out to the border or anything like that. Do what Wolf said. Oh, and go fast. If you are not sure, go faster.

That is incredible Last Chance. Your buddy must be one of the fishing gods around here because it is not just us getting two or three hits in a 6 hour session. There are several posts on here for Monday/Tuesday with a similar tale to ours. He also must be limiting out in an hour, unlike us and the many other boats I see out there cruising around for 6 hours, just like us! LOL:)

I am sidelined due to an operation, but my buddy has been having 15+ fish hookup mornings. They are out there. No need to run all the way out to the border or anything like that. Do what Wolf said. Oh, and go fast. If you are not sure, go faster.
I was out the other day coming back into Becher Bay there was a rough patch of water (standing waves, current ripping) so I pretty much pinned the throttle on the kicker just to get through the snotty water and about 3/4 way had a coho hit on the bait side. Must have been doing 8 or 9 mph. I agree speed up.

Thx Wolf. Good info’. We do go back and forth across the current trying to locate them, and vary depth, gear and speed. Found one tideline yesterday – unfortunately it was littered with kelp islands and loose floating kelp as well and so after a couple of hook-ups on that stuff, we moved on! LOL:)

That is incredible Last Chance. Your buddy must be one of the fishing gods around here because it is not just us getting two or three hits in a 6 hour session. There are several posts on here for Monday/Tuesday with a similar tale to ours. He also must be limiting out in an hour, unlike us and the many other boats I see out there cruising around for 6 hours, just like us! LOL:)

Time and time again Sooke has proven that fishing is consistent if one sticks with the program. Why limit in an hour when you have nice fish to choose from? He has a 16 foot very custom CC and launches from the Prestige.... If you talk to him, he tells all!

The Coho are still around....today we hit into over 20, kept 3 wild and 7 hatchery for 10 total, largest was just under 10 pounds and most were 4-5 pounds. Released as many wilds and lost another 5 or 6. 50 to 70 ft anchovie was working but a green Grand Slam Bucktail was more consistent. Beauty day as the rain that was supposed to drop was minimal and the water stayed flat all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back