Sleeping Bag Recomendations

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
HI Guy's

So I finally decided to retire my 30year old sleeping bag (Had it since I was 9). I am in the market for a new one. Anybody have a recommendation on which one to get? Mostly used for hunting in the fall and the winter.

I was thinking about the cabella's brand like the -18.

Capt

I still use my MEC synthetic -7C bag and, while pretty ratty from nearly 30-years of hard use (including multiple stints living in field camps for months) it still seems to function at its rating. Camping/fishing in the east Koots a couple weeks ago w/ overnight temps at/around zero and was plenty warm. My wife, who’s very sensitive to the cold has a newer mec down bag rated to -12C and she’s never complained about the cold while using it. Fairly affordable compared to similar bags from the fancier outdoor brands.

Cheers!

Ukee

It depends on how much backpacking you need to do for your hunting trips. A synthetic -18 bag is pretty bulky. A down bag will be less than half the weight and 1/4 the volume packed (I went with down for these reasons). But down will cost more, and looses it's warmth if it gets wet.

Go to your local Army Surplus store, I have an army issue bag and i gaurantee you will not get cold in any Canadian weather and they wear like a pigs nose.
Wes

Back