Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the tip on offsetting the hooks profisher and fshnfnatic - much appreciated. Is anyone out there getting any action outside of Pedder as all seems to be outside of Sooke? Reason I am asking is that I want to moor my boat for a week and all the above reports seem to point to getting set up in Sooke harbour. I have 3 choices - Sooke Pedder or Becher. Which would you choose? Thanks in advance.
Having done all three, I much prefer Becher as it's less of a run for to get to the coho grounds.

Having done all three, I much prefer Becher as it's less of a run for to get to the coho grounds.
I should clarify, that I fished out in front of Becher (launched from Cheanuh) my last trip out when I missed so many hooksets. Fished from 300 to 4o0 FOW and downrigger was set at 55', although likely actually fishing shallower than that due to angle on rigger line. I hope to get out Sunday and have bought two hook sharpeners and bent my single hooks to slightly offset and will vary my speed a bit more. We'll see, if coho are still biting as readily, if my hook set ratio improves.

Thank you for the tip on offsetting the hooks profisher and fshnfnatic - much appreciated. Is anyone out there getting any action outside of Pedder as all seems to be outside of Sooke? Reason I am asking is that I want to moor my boat for a week and all the above reports seem to point to getting set up in Sooke harbour. I have 3 choices - Sooke Pedder or Becher. Which would you choose? Thanks in advance.

Becher Bay is better. I have caught good fall coho inside the bay at times. Have fun

Becher Bay is better. I have caught good fall coho inside the bay at times. Have fun
Thank you all for the pointers - just spent a half hour offsetting my hooks and sharpening them as I went. High winds forecasted for the weekend so far but we will see. Was pretty rough out there today.

I should clarify, that I fished out in front of Becher (launched from Cheanuh) my last trip out when I missed so many hooksets. Fished from 300 to 4o0 FOW and downrigger was set at 55', although likely actually fishing shallower than that due to angle on rigger line. I hope to get out Sunday and have bought two hook sharpeners and bent my single hooks to slightly offset and will vary my speed a bit more. We'll see, if coho are still biting as readily, if my hook set ratio improves.
When in doubt: More Speed. My success has been going at like Mach 2. The faster the lure, the higher success rate for good hookups (in my limited experience, anyway)
And if you're not having success, do some good zig-zags. If the coho hits on the "outside" rod, then you're going too slow overall. If the hits are on the inside, then you're good.

Last edited:
Out this morning in the big water. A 12 foot nasty swell that was close together and steep because of the hard ebb. Add in 15 to 20 mph westerlies opposing the ebb as well and it was not much fun. Managed 2 hatchery coho and released 4 or 5 wild. Opted to run spoons and a Grand Slam green herring bucktail. The Grand Slam bucktail has been really consistent for coho so far this fall. Today they were shallower at 45-50 ft. I wanted to start later in the morning and fish the change and the flood but the wind was predicted to increase so went early and took my chances on the big ebb.

Jocks dock in sooke harbor

There was I thinking that we were open for one wild (unclipped) tomorrow in Area 20-5, as previous years, but from my reading of this the only place you can keep a wild is Port Renfrew.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/20-co-chq-eng.pdf

Is this correct?

This was released and shows Sooke open Oct 1st for 1 Wild and 3 hatchery.

See FN 0470 - link at: https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=221565&ID=all

Fishery Notice
Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0470-RECREATIONAL - Salmon: Strait of Georgia and Juan De Fuca - Areas 14 to 20, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 - Coho Fishing Times and Limits

This was released and shows Sooke open Oct 1st for 1 Wild and 3 hatchery.

See FN 0470 - link at: https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=221565&ID=all

Fishery Notice
Category(s):

RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0470-RECREATIONAL - Salmon: Strait of Georgia and Juan De Fuca - Areas 14 to 20, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 - Coho Fishing Times and Limits

Thx CBY. That link seems a lot clearer (thought I had not seen any complaints about coho regs changing as well (-8)

That would be good being able to keep one wild - out in front of Becher to Secretary this morning 9:00 - 1:30 - 200-500 feet - not a sniff - unfortunately the boats coming in to the Becher marine were saying the same - just the odd fish

Hmm. I caught a steelhead years ago, right on the end of Ediz Hook, when mooching for salmon in about 140 feet of water. So salt water catches occur, but not frequently to say the least. Probably around 1982. About a 12 pound skinny, likely a spawned out female, likely from the Elwha river.

I released it, could not bonk this survivor that ran many hurdles. It hit the herring very hard on the way down, so it was Hungary!

That would be good being able to keep one wild - out in front of Becher to Secretary this morning 9:00 - 1:30 - 200-500 feet - not a sniff - unfortunately the boats coming in to the Becher marine were saying the same - just the odd fish
Same for me today, out front of Becher from 9-noon and not one bite. Did get into a cluster with DR and two lines wrapped around a floating kelp mass, big down time but didn't seem like much was biting today and actually didn't mark near as many arc's as previous outings here.

Got out about 10-2 in front of sooke. Pretty slow compared to a week ago. Found a school in front of the bluffs pretty shallow with 3 wilds to the boat and a few misses and that’s it. Probably the last trip this year and couldn’t ask for a nicer day for it.

Btw Beechey head and Secretary this am. Between 200- 500 FOW 70 on the DR. Not a sniff - teaser head, plugs and spoons - had two strikes from 7:00 - 11:00 - lots of boats out but was not seeing anyone grabbing their nets. Slow for me anyways.

We were out of town for the last 10 days of September and from the reports herein, it looks like that is when the coho went through. A couple of reports from yesterday said it had slowed/stopped out there but we went out anyway from 7:30am until 1:30pm. Must have been 50 other boats strung out between Beechy and Otter Point. I guess no one works on October 1st! LOL:)

Anyway, had a hit at 8:15 waaay straight out from harbour in 600’ of water and brought a 6lb hatchery to the boat. I thought, “Well that is not too bad, yesterday must have been an off-day”. How wrong I was! That was our only hit of the day.!! We tried going back and forth across the contours from 180 to 600’. Nada. We tried spoons, hootchies and herring but not another bite could we get. Did not see anyone else in our vicinity get one either. Of course I don’t know what they did way down at Beechy or west to Otter, but for us this was the worst early October day I can remember. Usually we get our two unclipped in the first hour and then wade though more wild to find the odd hatchery. Today just one hatchery - how ironic! :confused:

I believe the coho may be done already, since catches were so spectacular at the end of September.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back