2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF, I cancelled my fishing trip this morning based on the forecast from both EC and Windy last night. It turns out to be a beautiful day out on the water. I will be hopping mad if the fishing reports this morning from SH turns out to be good.

WTF, I cancelled my fishing trip this morning based on the forecast from both EC and Windy last night. It turns out to be a beautiful day out on the water. I will be hopping mad if the fishing reports this morning from SH turns out to be good.
I missed a lot of good days from trusting the EC marine weather forecast. They very often predict much higher winds than actually come along.
In our area, I find Windy often underestimates the winds . (Powell River). They are better when I check the mid strait winds, rather than the much lighter winds shown along shorelines & in the inlets.
Oddly, I have found the weather network app to be most reliable. Not the weather network marine forecast, which seems to exactly echo the EC reports.
Not saying they are always right on, but way better than any other source I’ve tried.
Checking current conditions at the closest airport is helpful too.
Considering how often they get it wrong, winds must be very difficult to predict.
It seems to me that EC has been crying wolf on wind forecasts since a disastrous Barclay Sound herring season in the mid 80’s (IIRC)
Light winds were forecast and lives were lost when an unexpected gale blew in.
I remember EC being criticized strongly in the media at the time.

Trying to define source with precise data to create my own app for SH, Bell Buoy, etc...
index.php

**** on the plate in the harbour right now :D
But tide is rippin’ like q bi.&ch

Last edited:
Anyone out today who can provide update on how the fishing is at SH or cap?
Fished NA for a couple hours this am. Released one nice wild coho but that was our only bite. Working fisheries now. Sounder looks good but nothing biting yet.

buzzer beater off fisheries. Mid teens spring at 90’ on herring aid teaser & head with small herring.

Last edited:
I am planning on doing cap for first time on mon or Tues. Anyone know howany boats would be out there during a weekday at this time of year? 50 boats? 100 boats? Just expecting an estimate. I hear it's not the most relaxing place to be fishing due to the boat congestion but just curious to know what I can expect in terms of boat volume. Would weekends be double numbers as weekdays?

I am planning on doing cap for first time on mon or Tues. Anyone know howany boats would be out there during a weekday at this time of year? 50 boats? 100 boats? Just expecting an estimate. I hear it's not the most relaxing place to be fishing due to the boat congestion but just curious to know what I can expect in terms of boat volume. Would weekends be double numbers as weekdays?
There will be exactly 12 boats on a monday. No more and no less.

Hopefully I'll be one of them ;)

Fished NA for a couple hours this am. Released one nice wild coho but that was our only bite. Working fisheries now. Sounder looks good but nothing biting yet.

buzzer beater off fisheries. Mid teens spring at 90’ on herring aid teaser & head with small herring.
were u marking much off the north arm?

8-12pm at the cap today. 3 bites but none in the boat. Was experimenting with a sizeable scad 7-8 inches and had a bite on that at about 10 at 71’. That was surprisingly. Also tried some spoons and hoochies but all the bites where on bait. Chilly out this morning. Will give it another go next Saturday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back