Peetz Reels

Hey FB,

I personally have only peetz on both sides(5") and love them(both hali and salmon on same reel spooled with 100# braid, which works great in the DR). Everyone has different preferences, but after trying pretty much everything under the sun, I've settled here. There is certainly a learning curve, but once you have it, it's awesome!

What I have found is that palming is the way to go. I keep just enough drag on so that it is not completely free, but also is not resisting when winding in. I haven't found the issue that Terrin mentioned, but could see how this would happen if either the drag washers were not greased or if you were maybe missing one(should be one inside on top of a metal tension washer and then 2 outside). If they are well greased and the fish is heavy and on a big run, you should be able to tight a bit to slow a tad, but really haven't had any problems or too much palm heat either. I've had a few fish around 20# on them now and no issues with controlling the run.

Now just throw a classic chrome Nootka flasher with an old krippled k behind and you are really in for some fun!!

Great info, thanks! Nothing but a lead wieght and cut plugs are permitted where I am going. I want to run my 6" Peetz as my Bow rod....jebus, to see that rod bend over with a Peetz handling the load :) smiles for miles man! Can't frickin wait [for Rivers]

Have been enjoying some fresh out of the Bradley candy with a backyard of buddies, so the pop may make me a bit blunt...

Dad (72yo), son (13yo) and me (29yo+) all only will EVER use Peetz reels for salmon. 5" for chinook, and 4" for all others. Nothing like a charging northern on a braid equipped 4" Peetz with no flasher to get the pumper thumping! It is more fun to lose a battle like that than to win a battle like that using a gear muncher!!! Now, I know that guides may not agree, but we are sporties out for our own fun and fish.

I LOVE trolling past some flashy boat that has 4 Islanders in use, and see them all ogling our old school reels.
If you need to use more than your palm for adding drag to a running fish, then you are missing a lovely experience IMO.
My PR was 44lbs chinook on a 6" recorder, no flasher, at 200 feet deep, the battle was so memorable! Just wish it had hit the 5"!

Through much experimentation we have learned that 65-100lb braid is the same diameter as 40lb mono, that is, approx 0.5mm, and so works perfectly in Scotty releases.
A side benefit of braid is that all a kid/guest has to do to pop the line from the release is wind the reel with it still in the holder. Sounds easy? It is.

I have 2 6" recorders in near mint condition that I may be willing to trade for 3 wood 5" reels, or 2 wood 5" reels stamped interestingly (I have one stamped "Bamfield Inn". Also interested in trading for stainless or brass 5" reels.

We have moved to Penns for hali, the older and younger fishers in my family prefer gear munchers for coming up from 300+ feet with a hog hali on!

my 0.02

Smiley out ;-)

Oh yeah, in case any of you didn't know, go see Dwayne at Peetz on Rock Bay Ave in Victoria, they still make and sell the 4, 5, and 6" reels in wood, and 5" in stainless.
The prices some ask and get on eBay shock me! You can buy NEW for less than those with "PATINA" LOL

great read! Thanks Smiley!

So I should leave the big 6" at home and man up with the smaller ones eh?? I like the sounds of it. If all goes to plan...I will be posting a video to add to this thread. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Sounds like a great trip FB! My folks are up there sailing through the Great Bear right now and stopped in to Rivers on the way up and I'm sure will on the way back down. They are friends with the owners of Sportsman's Lodge and were there for pre-season camp set up. They were tasked with the 'job' of going out and catching dinner for the set up crew. Tough cruising life they are living. They can't really keep too much fish on board the sail boat, so they've had some pretty fun catch and release fishing! Have fun and look forward to some great video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 15 Peetz reels, all in working condition. What are they worth?

As has been posted here many times it seems every garage on Vancouver Island has a few so they're worth whatever someone will pay for them usually no more than $10 apiece $20 if you're lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
after MUCH experimenting, the all around go to rig is:
5"
80lb braid
palm only

my largest is 44lbs SO FAR........you really DO NOT want to see my freezers and smokers every summer

IMhumbleO only wimps need gears ;-

Went for a fish with a fellow forum member last week and we caught a couple springs on a wooden Peetz, what a blast. Decided to open mine up as I want to use it as well. The grease I found inside is fairly sticky and firm(I think because of the age). I plan on cleaning it off and re-greasing it, what kind of grease would you guys use. I was thinking about using a synthetic waterproof grease similar to that used when working on bicycles?

The more I use my Peetz, the more I like them. Here's a sporting sturgeon I (on right) landed 2 weeks a go on 30lb test maxima and a 6" peetz from the 70's....

Still in use on my boat (one), although I let guests use the Shimanos for the drag feature.
18-20 pound Maxima line (as is on all my reels), perfectly adequate and small diameter if on dr's.

Grease - lithium based, holds up well.

Hi does anyone know how much a 5 and 3/4 recorder Peetz fishing reel never used still in box probably from 1975-1979 and a Peetz rod, stainless rollers, two piece never used is worth?

Hi does anyone know how much a 5 and 3/4 recorder Peetz fishing reel never used still in box probably from 1975-1979 and a Peetz rod, stainless rollers, two piece never used is worth?

i would call Peetz directly. they could prolly help you. hell, maybe they buy it from you. that’s pretty cool

Reactions: cby
Thanks for the insight River Boy. I am keeping them for now. Peetz was impressed on the new condition of Rod and Reel. I am getting a 6" reconditioned by them from 1970-1972 vintage.

If anyone has any old Peetz Reels, Rods or the Boxes they came and is interested in selling them please get ahold of me here or feel free to text me at 778-674-0765.
Condition isn't important, they are only ever original once.
I never re-sell anything that I buy, I use the Reels and have a nice Collection as well.
Thank you................

Back