Status
Not open for further replies.
It was pure delightful coho chaos yesterday.
45 minutes of nothing while we got to the spot, followed by 45 minutes of double headers.
We were the farthest boat off shore of secretary, solid chartreuse hoochie / matching flasher and cop car Holly Roller with matching flasher. 65-75 feet in 550-575 fow.

Got our hatcheries, released about a dozen more. Sizes are a bit smaller than I'm used to, but delicious nonetheless.

Rods in at 10, back at the ramp at noon.

Love it. Need it again.
what the heck is a cop car holly roller?

Maybe the holy roller lure might be the ticket. Fished Saturday out off Beechy using cut plug herring, big and small anchovy. Of the 15 or so coho we had on the cut plug outfished the other bait. Sometimes lasting only 10 or 20 seconds before getting whacked right on the surface in the motor wash. Managed to keep only one hatchery.

Maybe the holy roller lure might be the ticket.
It repeated its magic yesterday. I wouldn't call the day a "barn burner", but we did get 12 fish to the boat in 2 hours. 3 hatch in the mix, nothing over 10lbs though.
Off Trailer Park, half way to the US in 550ft

Out this am. I take my 15 year old son out every year on this pro d day as his birthday is the 25th and that’s what he wants to do. He wanted to take his 12 year old cousin out this year too. Got around the spit and it was nasty with some large swells but I can see 5 other boats out. Plowed out to the drop off and by this time my nephew isn’t feeling well. I drop 1 rod and he says he’s going to throw up. Turn around and there is a fish on! My son grabs it reels in a 10-12 wild coho, I flick it off, say happy birthday, stow the gear and head in. Fished for 30 seconds 1 fish and done!! Going to try the river now and see if anything is moving there.

Late report. Fished Saturday 6:45-12:00 from the first drop off near secretary out to 550 FOW. 52' to 7o' were the depths for us. Kept 4 hatchery between 5 and 8 pounds, released 2 smaller ones and 25 or so wilds. Small pink and chartreuse spoons with matching flashers fished equally well. 8-10 doubled headers & consistent action until 11 am for three generations of my team.

Last edited:
I also got out today from 9 to 1 and non stop action but either I suck at sticking fish or they were hitting short. I managed one hatch, released two wilds and must have had 15+ releases on DR. Started out with a cop car AP spoon, deadly number of hits but nothing would stay on, then switched to anchovy in glow green TH which stuck a couple wilds but bunch more took my chovie and buggered off. Nice day to be out there and got one coho for the bbq, not huge but couple nice fillets all the same.

I also got out today from 9 to 1 and non stop action but either I suck at sticking fish or they were hitting short. I managed one hatch, released two wilds and must have had 15+ releases on DR. Started out with a cop car AP spoon, deadly number of hits but nothing would stay on, then switched to anchovy in glow green TH which stuck a couple wilds but bunch more took my chovie and buggered off. Nice day to be out there and got one coho for the bbq, not huge but couple nice fillets all the same.
How sharp are your hooks? I try to resharpen after every three hits, depending on the quality of hook. lots of actions really dulls them down, I find.

On Saturday it did not seem to matter what I used; both hootchie and spoon got equal amount of hits, but the hootchie landed far more fish, maybe due to the shorter leader/ swivel hook set up?

I also noticed the average size was down... lots in the 2lb/3lb range. maybe this had something to do with it?

How sharp are your hooks? I try to resharpen after every three hits, depending on the quality of hook. lots of actions really dulls them down, I find.

On Saturday it did not seem to matter what I used; both hootchie and spoon got equal amount of hits, but the hootchie landed far more fish, maybe due to the shorter leader/ swivel hook set up?

I also noticed the average size was down... lots in the 2lb/3lb range. maybe this had something to do with it?
That may be the ticket, stuck the 1st hit okay on each bait then downhill after that. Will have to get better at sharpening them, not something I've really done before, and see how that works. Yes none of the three fish I got to the boat were all that large, legal but maybe 3-5 lbs. Last time out I used hoochie with a chunk of herring stuck to the top hook and that seemed to hook more fish, maybe should have tried that on one rod today. Live and learn, this salmon fishing is all kind of new to me so folks like yourself and the rest of the gang on here are very helpful with great tips. Might try to get out again tomorrow with my 9 yr old son after school is done and will report back. thanks.

Really sad how small the fish are. I’ve seen some pictures of coho that look completely malnourished.

Must have not been much for food out there.

Sometimes when the cohos are short striking i have had success speeding up about 1/2 a mph. I also agree about sharp hooks, try a fine file on all 3 sides

Same as others out sooke today. Lots of hits and bait stealers and the ones that did get to the boat were small 3-4 lb. Wilds. Kept the only hatchery we saw.

I get way better hooking power and loose less fish when fishing spoons that have a single hook by bending the curved portion of the hook so that the point is offset a bit from the shank. So that if you held the hook in front of you by the shank and with the shank closest to you..with the hooks bend and point on the opposite side. With an unaltered hook the bend and point would be hidden behind the shank and you wouldn't see it as they are in line with each other. After bending it, part of the bend and the point would be maybe 15 to 20 degrees right or left of the shank.

I get way better hooking power and loose less fish when fishing spoons that have a single hook by bending the curved portion of the hook so that the point is offset a bit from the shank. So that if you held the hook in front of you by the shank and with the shank closest to you..with the hooks bend and point on the opposite side. With an unaltered hook the bend and point would be hidden behind the shank and you wouldn't see it as they are in line with each other. After bending it, part of the bend and the point would be maybe 15 to 20 degrees right or left of the shank.
Old Commercial Fishing trick.I spent many hours over the few years I was doing it putting in that exact offset bend.The other thing I was taught to do with an open eye siwash hook is close the eye in two separate bends.The first one to "square up" the closing point of the eye to where it will meet the shank when it's fully closed.The odd time when trolling the gear for a while, the hook would come up not hanging straight back off the swivel it was attached to because it had gotten "pinched" in the gap in that spot on the shank where the eye meets when it's closed with just one crimp of the pliers.By doing the crimp in two separate bends,it stops this from happening as there is no "gap" for the swivel eye to get pinched in.This was with Mustad 9510XXX siwash hooks that we used with all our spoons and hoochies.

Thank you for the tip on offsetting the hooks profisher and fshnfnatic - much appreciated. Is anyone out there getting any action outside of Pedder as all seems to be outside of Sooke? Reason I am asking is that I want to moor my boat for a week and all the above reports seem to point to getting set up in Sooke harbour. I have 3 choices - Sooke Pedder or Becher. Which would you choose? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back