2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not over yet by a long shot. i’m done but my neighbor was out in CR last two days. lots of fish landed biggest was 24 , and they’re all whites

Left the Marina at 8:00 after filling up gas at $1.83 pet liter. Ouch. Dropped 4 Prawn traps and rushed toward SH and lines in water around 10:00. Lots of boats but really didn’t see any nets out. Around 11:30 landed a nice red springs in the 15 lb range. Things went quiet until 15:00 when we landed a nice hatchery coho. Decided to troll back to t-10 to test our luck. Was going to pull lines at 16:00 to pick up the traps and then all hell broke loose. Landed a nice 18 lb white spring. Lost one more at the boat and then a double header that we long line released to finish the day. So it was a 2/5 kind of day. That is okay because all the ones that got away put up great fights and they all gave us a good adrenaline rush. Rigger at 70 in 350 feet of water. We limited out on prawns and pull into Eagle’s Nest gas station to get some ice but also treated ourselves to a Hagen Dazs for the trip home. After hearing about our exploits on the water, our friend Big Bruce at the gas station said “what a remarkable day”. We whole heartily agreed.

PS-any suggestions how to land double headers when only 2 fellas on the boat?

Attachments

• FE764BE7-7BF9-4280-A8B7-1919B7517081.png
    FE764BE7-7BF9-4280-A8B7-1919B7517081.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 130
Left the Marina at 8:00 after filling up gas at $1.83 pet liter. Ouch. Dropped 4 Prawn traps and rushed toward SH and lines in water around 10:00. Lots of boats but really didn’t see any nets out. Around 11:30 landed a nice red springs in the 15 lb range. Things went quiet until 15:00 when we landed a nice hatchery coho. Decided to troll back to t-10 to test our luck. Was going to pull lines at 16:00 to pick up the traps and then all hell broke loose. Landed a nice 18 lb white spring. Lost one more at the boat and then a double header that we long line released to finish the day. So it was a 2/5 kind of day. That is okay because all the ones that got away put up great fights and they all gave us a good adrenaline rush. Rigger at 70 in 350 feet of water. We limited out on prawns and pull into Eagle’s Nest gas station to get some ice but also treated ourselves to a Hagen Dazs for the trip home. After hearing about our exploits on the water, our friend Big Bruce at the gas station said “what a remarkable day”. We whole heartily agreed.

PS-any suggestions how to land double headers when only 2 fellas on the boat?
Great report.

Land one each ;)

Left work early and fished Sandheads from 2:30pm to 6:30pm. Flat calm like a lake today. We went 4/4 with 3 springs - 21 lbs, 17 lbs, 9 lbs, 1 hatchery coho in the boat. Counted about 50 boats out. Riggers at 80 ft and 65 ft with chovies. Saw one guy in a Trophy with a fish on and the other guy driving the boat in a tight loop at 7 knots while he was fighting the fish (not sure why he's doing that, if somebody saw that let me know why too... is this a new seal scare tactic?). Anyways, ended with a nice sunset view home.

Attachments

• pic1 Sept 20_19.JPG
    pic1 Sept 20_19.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 111
  • pic2 Sept 20_19.JPG
    pic2 Sept 20_19.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 100
Left work early and fished Sandheads from 2:30pm to 6:30pm. Flat calm like a lake today. We went 4/4 with 3 springs - 21 lbs, 17 lbs, 9 lbs, 1 hatchery coho in the boat. Counted about 50 boats out. Riggers at 80 ft and 65 ft with chovies. Saw one guy in a Trophy with a fish on and the other guy driving the boat in a tight loop at 7 knots while he was fighting the fish (not sure why he's doing that, if somebody saw that let me know why too... is this a new seal scare tactic?). Anyways, ended with a nice sunset view home.
If a seal has a hold of your fish that can be a good way to get him to let go. They cant come up to get a breath so will let go and swim off..... eventually

Both fight your fish. First to boat gets net. I put the other rod just be left in holder. Net first fish. I keep 2 nets on board. If only one net double net time unless u can get the fish out in time. Hopefully after leaving rod in holder fish is still there. It usually is. Otherwise bring a 3rd guy.
Or play and net fish yourself which can be a challange.

Last edited:
Both fight your fish. First to boat gets net. I put the other rod just be left in holder. Net first fish. I keep 2 nets on board. If only one net double net time unless u can get the fish out in time. Hopefully after leaving rod in holder fish is still there. It usually is. Otherwise bring a 3rd guy.
Or play and net fish yourself which can be a challange.
All these PLUS have a gaff handy if there’s no room for a 2nd net.

Well done man! It was a great time and I saw that beast you brought to the scale....awesome fish and I was just proud to be near it. Can't wait until next year....the cap wasn't as crowded as I thought it was going to be.....but Port Authority was out there in full force. Good times....tight lines!!
Thanks and ya it's a great tournament, My buddy sent me a better picture if it. Thought for sure it was 30 lol FB_IMG_1569085048358.jpg

So I decided to run to SH at first light. What an amazing day it was. Hooked 7 springs but only 2 were landed. One was a bit over 23 lb which made me the 6th winner in the derby. 4 fish out of 7 lost to seal. One of the one lost to seal felt way bigger than the 23 lb I landed. Very frustrating indeed but was an awesome day and yes it’s not over yet. Fish caught at 56’, 65’ and 80’ in 300’ of water.
Congrats Capman !!!

Bite came on around 11 or so for us yestersay keep an eye out for the whales they may still be hanging around
Well that figures... I was at SH yesterday 6:30-11:30 and only landed one that was 2” too short (story of my life....) and couple hits that didn’t stick.
Hey sir-vivor that was a “30” until you had it officially weighed lol. Your a pro at hiding “the longest arm” in the picture ;)
Edit: seems like I also caught a cold yesterday... :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back