2019 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone happen to have any shots they could share? Looking at doing our first tuna trip ever out of ucluelet on Sunday (if the weather cooperates of course). And if anyone has any lure input suggestions that would be great! Going to just start with a very minimalistic setup to start and if it turns out we love it as much as we’ve fallen in love with the rest of the Sportfishing industry I’m sure we will end up with a pile of tuna gear as well! Thanks for any input anyone may have!

Cheers,
Michael

I didn't realize this was happening again. Is there a website with schedule of events?(google search didn't find anything recent).
No website anymore, the derby is organized through Mills Landing as is very similar to past events...

Went out Sunday out of Ucluelet for our first ever tuna trip. We bought our boat 2 years ago (2oft double eagle we podded) and have been watching this tuna thread trying to figure out how we could get in on the action and decided this was the year we finally do it! Big thanks to Deryk (derby) for helping us out with the gear and even coming into the store with me on his day off. And to seagirt for giving me bunch of info on how to get it done. Back to the report! Saturday night we towed the boat up to ukee had some dinner then launched and went and anchored in spring cove for the night plan was to leave at 3am. Unfortunately for me, I was so excited I think I got maybe 2 hours of sleep just could not sleep. Finally 3am comes and couldn't have been a better morning for the run out full moon sky so we had tons of light but still t00k our time as it was fairly bumpy out and not entirely light. 730am we arrived between Barkley and Louden canyon, quickly figured out the gear and started our troll, with no luck roughly 2 hours went by as we trolled down towards Barkley canyon frustrated at this point we were trying to figure out what we were doing wrong, when I see one of our diving boards pop up but the bungie wasn't stretched, and all I'm thinking is we must have done something wrong so I grab the line and just as I start pulling it I kinda remember Deryk saying the board comes up when you get a fish I look to my left the the other diving board is now up and I can see the tuna behind it as I scream tuna! 2 of the rods start ripping out and now we have a quad header on our first ever tuna hookup, managed to land 3 of the 4, for the next hour it was wild non stop lots of doubles triples and I think we may have even had another quad, finally hit 21 tuna and realized we had more then enough tuna for the year for us and spent some time cleaning the boat and headed in. I think we will deffiently be back next year for more!

Went out Sunday out of Ucluelet for our first ever tuna trip. We bought our boat 2 years ago (2oft double eagle we podded) and have been watching this tuna thread trying to figure out how we could get in on the action and decided this was the year we finally do it! Big thanks to Deryk (derby) for helping us out with the gear and even coming into the store with me on his day off. And to seagirt for giving me bunch of info on how to get it done. Back to the report! Saturday night we towed the boat up to ukee had some dinner then launched and went and anchored in spring cove for the night plan was to leave at 3am. Unfortunately for me, I was so excited I think I got maybe 2 hours of sleep just could not sleep. Finally 3am comes and couldn't have been a better morning for the run out full moon sky so we had tons of light but still t00k our time as it was fairly bumpy out and not entirely light. 730am we arrived between Barkley and Louden canyon, quickly figured out the gear and started our troll, with no luck roughly 2 hours went by as we trolled down towards Barkley canyon frustrated at this point we were trying to figure out what we were doing wrong, when I see one of our diving boards pop up but the bungie wasn't stretched, and all I'm thinking is we must have done something wrong so I grab the line and just as I start pulling it I kinda remember Deryk saying the board comes up when you get a fish I look to my left the the other diving board is now up and I can see the tuna behind it as I scream tuna! 2 of the rods start ripping out and now we have a quad header on our first ever tuna hookup, managed to land 3 of the 4, for the next hour it was wild non stop lots of doubles triples and I think we may have even had another quad, finally hit 21 tuna and realized we had more then enough tuna for the year for us and spent some time cleaning the boat and headed in. I think we will deffiently be back next year for more!
Awesome!!! I'm going to purchase a 22 footer this fall specifically so I can target tuna next year, I might have to contact Derby for some information as well lol.

Anyone headed for tuna Friday or saturday? I’m headed towards Barkley canyon, or there abouts. Would appreciate any recent intel.

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=16200

Friday 5-15 knots inshore south of Tofino from my experience is a red flag. It usually means it’s still blowing offshore on the Tuna grounds that’s why they give a distinction to inshore. 1 to 2 m with unstable winds is a broad forecast. Could be decent could be horrible.

Saturday big low pressure 20-30 knots southerly is an ugly wind to be caught offshore 50+miles. Anyone who guides in the area has done the 8-10 knot run in with a stacked up SE. Not fun.

You’ve really gotta pick your days tuna fishing. It’s easy to force when you have limited days to make a run but it it’s not worth gambles. Been there.

Last edited:
https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=16200

Friday 5-15 knots inshore south of Tofino from my experience is a red flag. It usually means it’s still blowing offshore on the Tuna grounds that’s why they give a distinction to inshore. 1 to 2 m with unstable winds is a broad forecast. Could be decent could be horrible.

Saturday big low pressure 20-30 knots southerly is an ugly wind to be caught offshore 50+miles. Anyone who guides in the area has done the 8-10 knot run in with a stacked up SE. Not fun.

You’ve really gotta pick your days tuna fishing. It’s easy to force when you have limited days to make a run but it it’s not worth gambles. Been there.

Thanks for the clarification, that was my assessment also.

Anyone headed for tuna Friday or saturday? I’m headed towards Barkley canyon, or there abouts. Would appreciate any recent intel.
Love your passion, and yes we both share it the same! There are still some good weather weekends ahead Dave!! Wait for them. Remember.... Octuna can be amazing!! If you are serious, keep me posted, I may shoot down for one more shot when the stars align!! Any other boats want to join on an early Octuna shot??;)

Love your passion, and yes we both share it the same! There are still some good weather weekends ahead Dave!! Wait for them. Remember.... Octuna can be amazing!! If you are serious, keep me posted, I may shoot down for one more shot when the stars align!! Any other boats want to join on an early Octuna shot??;)
I’ll be watching the weather and would entertain the idea of another shot at them, or at least watch you bring a few tuna in. If you are looking for crew keep me posted, thanks! I just picked up a few at loudoun/Barkley canyon. First light bite, needed my headlamp to see what I was doing. Blue water started 5 or 10 nm past the drop off. All on the troll, didn’t stop to jig.

Report for Sep 20-21. Headed West out of Ukee Friday towards Loudoun, dragged the lures through all the clear green water but didn't hit the blue water until about an hour before dark. Trolled South towards Barkley till dark with no sign and no hits. Drifted overnight without wind or much movement. Got up at 6 as the horizon was getting lighter , set autopilot towards Port Renfrew, and while I got the gear in the water I had a double on the two handlines before I was able to get a rod out. Brain spiked those fish and dropped them in the slush bucket and had two more waiting for me on the handlines. Into the slush with those. I didn't reset the handlines as I wanted one on the rod. It took about ten minutes but had one hit the rod. If I wasn't racing light and weather for home and if I didn't already have my 5 tuna that I wanted I would have stopped and played around a bit more. I deployed all the lines after getting the fish on ice but didn't have any hits until another half hour later or so with another single. Ran out of blue water but kept the lines in hoping for a green water hog...nope. I like processing 5 tuna at a time but it starts to become work after that.

Pic #1 Thanks to Ukee Ice for letting me load up!
Pic #2 I only travel at trolling speed so the gear is deployed in the brown water. No coho
Pic #3 The 'composting hole' in my galley counter tells me I've reached the blue water
Pic #4 Leaving the fish behind and headed for home
Pic #5 Getting cold.
Pic #6 Loined out

Attachments

• UkeeIce.jpg
    UkeeIce.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 246
  • Kill bag at the ready.JPG
    Kill bag at the ready.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Bluewater.jpg
    Bluewater.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Chart.PNG
    Chart.PNG
    720.8 KB · Views: 241
  • TailsIce.JPG
    TailsIce.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 245
  • LoinsIce.JPG
    LoinsIce.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 244
What were you running on the handlines? Looks like just a Zuker or clone. Or is it a Dabo........looking on my phone so kinda hard to tell. Looked like a great over nighter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back