A 26 Striper with Grady-esque dance floor

Be careful of the FITCH 225. They don't have a very good reputation. I've run a pair of 225 FITCHs for a couple hundred hours. Didn't have any major issues, but they did like to eat spark plugs. Indexing the plugs correctly was a bit of a PITA. Lots of guys report electronic running gremlins which come back to poor electrical connections and weak batteries. Anyway...don't put much value on the motor. If you buy the boat run the motor 'til it blows up then repower!

interesting that a dealer would sell such a package for such a seemingly low price (and take pics in such poor conditions)?

I question a 225 on a 26’ glass boat. Seems like better power for a 23’ IMO. I’ve been wrong before and I’ll be wrong again very soon.
I run a 1997 26 ft striper with a 2014 merc 350 mag ,bravo 3 leg. It’s great with 3 guys , full of fuel and gear. You start putting a couple more people and gear you can feel the difference in the boat. Takes a little longer to get on step , lots of room on the deck for fishing . I would think that other striper with 225 would take a while to get her going. With four people and gear:confused: JS

I question a 225 on a 26’ glass boat. Seems like better power for a 23’ IMO. I’ve been wrong before and I’ll be wrong again very soon.
yes wrong again stizzla! haha. You can easily do 35 knots with a single 225 loaded up. I would unload that motor and go with a Suzuki 250 and spin a larger prop.

beemer

yes wrong again stizzla! haha. You can easily do 35 knots with a single 225 loaded up. I would unload that motor and go with a Suzuki 250 and spin a larger prop.

beemer
Beemer,
Do you own a Striper 26' with a 225? I'm with Stizzla that is grossly underpowered. You see a few with 250's which I thought was adequate at best. I like the Striper as a poor man's Grady and I'm both poor and interested in a larger boat. I was thinking 300 was the correct power for that boat but if someone can prove me wrong with real world performance specs we have a nice 250 that could go on a 2600.

Beemer,
Do you own a Striper 26' with a 225? I'm with Stizzla that is grossly underpowered. You see a few with 250's which I thought was adequate at best. I like the Striper as a poor man's Grady and I'm both poor and interested in a larger boat. I was thinking 300 was the correct power for that boat but if someone can prove me wrong with real world performance specs we have a nice 250 that could go on a 2600.
I have a good friend who has a striper 26 with a 225 Suzuki. it is the stepped hull version , he can easily hit 40 knots. Remember that the Striper 26 is measured to include the bow pulpit , not at the waterline. It really is a 24 foot.
I agree the Evinrude is outdated engine , and I have blown up several!

beemer

Back