2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if I can use my flair gun to fire those bangers...
Nope they are launched by the hammer coming down and detonating a little charge that looks like a nail gun cartridge. Little brass charge. That charge pops then launches the bear banger out about 60' or so then it explodes.

Where you get one of those and will anyone"mind" there use? Bit annoyed at our aquatic furry friends as of late.
I've yet to see any fellow fishermen annoyed by our use of them. We've had guys come over and thank us though. We shot one over a seal that was behind ours and another guys boat last week as we both had fish on at the same time. They knew we had fired one off earlier and waved at us that time and gave us the thumbs up so when the next seal a couple hours later popped up and we fired over it, it dissapeared. We both landed our Springs. They came over and thanked us afterwards so that was pretty cool for us all. Saying that though, we make sure not to fire then near unsuspecting boats cause the charge is quite loud and can startle people if they don't know what's happening. The seals sure hate them though if the explode close to them.

Some sporting goods stores, hunting/gun stores, co op's, outdoor supply stores etc sell them. There's also a pen type launcher as well.

Nope they are launched by the hammer coming down and detonating a little charge that looks like a nail gun cartridge. Little brass charge. That charge pops then launches the bear banger out about 60' or so then it explodes.

I've yet to see any fellow fishermen annoyed by our use of them. We've had guys come over and thank us though. We shot one over a seal that was behind ours and another guys boat last week as we both had fish on at the same time. They knew we had fired one off earlier and waved at us that time and gave us the thumbs up so when the next seal a couple hours later popped up and we fired over it, it dissapeared. We both landed our Springs. They came over and thanked us afterwards so that was pretty cool for us all. Saying that though, we make sure not to fire then near unsuspecting boats cause the charge is quite loud and can startle people if they don't know what's happening. The seals sure hate them though if the explode close to them.

Some sporting goods stores, hunting/gun stores, co op's, outdoor supply stores etc sell them. There's also a pen type launcher as well.
Army and Navy Surplus on Broadway in Vancouver.

They also make them with wicks that you can lite and throw the banger. Very dangerous though. The launcher is worth the money IMO.

My wife saw this story on a social media page... Here's what happened to a guy in BC who lit one to throw at a bear that went in his garage: The man was in his house. He heard a noise outside. He opened his back door and saw a bear out in his carport. He closed the door and went and got his bear bangers. He lit the bear banger in his house then went to open the door at the same time to throw it at the bear outside in his carport but the door self locked when he had first closed it and didn't know. Now he's panicking with the lit banger in his hand and is trying to open the locked back door. The banger blew up in his hand.
IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Normfish,

The Willow-Bee is 100% home-built, so not sure what "kind" that is, I guess "one of a kind" would be the correct answer :). It is a solid composite glass hull- not glass on wood, (home-built waxed mould) mostly by dad and then myself, with lots of helpers on various upgrades and rebuilt parts. Purposely built "family friendly" with high sides to keep the choppy west coast water out and the kids in, and the stern has a built in live-well, fish cleaning table, with a deck-hose. Has a sink, propane stove with oven , sleeps 4 and some of the comforts of home.

We come from a long-line of boat-builders, this is Grandpa: https://www.nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Gooldrup.php

My name is John, guess who I was named after!

See you on the water sir.

Good read! . those boats are beautiful; hull design almost looks like an Osprey. thanks for sharing

Quiet day at SH. Fished 11-515. At 514 I picked up a small Spring. Nicest looking fish I’ve caught all year. So bright and red. Didn’t mark anything on the sounder. Saw Orcas at T10. Think things are turning.

Hey Normfish,

The Willow-Bee is 100% home-built, so not sure what "kind" that is, I guess "one of a kind" would be the correct answer :). It is a solid composite glass hull- not glass on wood, (home-built waxed mould) mostly by dad and then myself, with lots of helpers on various upgrades and rebuilt parts. Purposely built "family friendly" with high sides to keep the choppy west coast water out and the kids in, and the stern has a built in live-well, fish cleaning table, with a deck-hose. Has a sink, propane stove with oven , sleeps 4 and some of the comforts of home.

We come from a long-line of boat-builders, this is Grandpa: https://www.nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Gooldrup.php

My name is John, guess who I was named after!

See you on the water sir.

Vic and Mike Gooldrup built this one. I spent 10 summers on there. The boat has been to Bristol Bay twice and spent over a year chasing tuna in Tahiti.
Back to reports.

Attachments

• 1997_namu18a.jpg
    1997_namu18a.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 171
20190916_190243_HDR.jpg Fished sandheads from noon till almost dark , was the last boat out there . Caught a few grilles that weren't much bigger than my anchovie. Around 4pm the bite came on for us , we boated 3 Spring , and lost 3, bite was still on for us but was getting dark and didn't want to run up the Fraser with no visibility. Wife wanted to keep fishing .
47 on the rigger was the magic number for us in 100 to 300 feet of water . My friend was out there and his 3 fish came at 85 feet down.
Caught the most grilles yesterday since I been out this year , maybe 7 or 8. Funny how they take bait almost as big as themselves, how the heck would they eat it ?????

Last edited:
Looks like the next two weeks will be prime cap river fishing. Looking at my trips from years back 2013 right around sept 20. Will look into getting out there just dont want to get there right at the end.
Fished the Cap couple of times. No shortage of water but didn't hit any fish. Just heard very few were caught. Should come to life any day now.

Slow day yesterday at SH. If heading out again at the end of the week, would the cap mouth be a better option than SH?

Just be warned Friday is the fishermen’s derby so if you go to the cap leave your bumpers down. It will be worse than a weekend. Also the Harbour Authority has greatly reduced where you are allowed to fish. Guys of course still fish in the old area but the Harbour Patrol boats are out there like a border collie hearding the pack tighter. Also don’t release the drag - if your fish goes for a good run it will get into someone else’s gear.

Tides look good for SH for later this week and weekend. I’ve had success there with some big whites 3rd and 4th week of September. You have to work for them at times but well worth the fun. They are also fresher looking fish than the Cap ones.

T10 and north arm still working? Anyone having luck fishing qa and the bell? Heading out later this afternoon so trying to decide where to go. Cheers!

T10 and north arm still working? Anyone having luck fishing qa and the bell? Heading out later this afternoon so trying to decide where to go. Cheers!
the bell would be a perfect place to start if you got there at first light otherwise I would just go to sandheads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back