2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. Every time I see my fishing rod is jerking it makes my heart near to stop and huge boost of endorphins in my brain. Once after a good day on the water I couldn't fall asleep till 3 AM cause jerking fishing rods were in front of my eyes.
been there!!!

Pack it in for the day. 3 springs 12#, 26#, 8#. Lost 2.One of them a hog over 30# right beside the boat. Thought I tangled with some crab traps. Just peeling lines. Finally got it closed enough and realized it was a big spring. LOL.
A nice day. What area were you in?

Full report for SH today:

12 fish on today at Sandheads, lost 4 to a new fisherman, we just kept handing him the rod - until he finally landed a 20 white spring- his first spring - ever. Was cool , and not so important to boat every last fish any more, pleasure in giving others the experience has become more gratifying over the years, Lost 3 to seals, (very aggressive seal pressure in AM - even eating our anchovies and cut-plugs!) 1 went under boat wrapped around stuff on other side, one to laziness for not pulling up the gear on same side ( overconfident a bit we were), and one just broke off, finished day with a nice red spring, clean about 25 or so. Though we were cursed today, ( limited out by 2 PM - 2 weeks ago) ) but got a lucky 4 PM fish and finished off with 2 in the cooler. Was bit harder fishing today for us older gents. Tired as I write this up. As we had some really strong currents today running lines at weird angles, lots of bobbing about, and a bit windy, made day tiring and really had to work the gear, but still damn fun! Depths we hit most fish were 66 ( AM) to 100 ( midday) back higher in afternoon , mostly they were hitting on chartreuse glow flashers with chovies. Non-stop action all day long, fish on about every half hour. Might be last trip of year and was a fun closer. That was work though. Good luck all !

Last edited:
Willow Bee, that's the boat name right ? Seen you out there many times , thanks for the report. What kind of boat is that?

I crossed the Lion's gate this morning on my way to work at 8:00 and counted about 20 boats just off ambleside. Quite the crowd for a Monday morning!

12 fish on today at Sandheads, lost 4 to a new fisherman, we just kept handing him the rod - until he finally landed a 20 white spring- his first spring - ever. Was cool , and not so important to boat every last fish any more, pleasure in giving others the experience has become more gratifying over the years, Lost 3 to seals, (very aggressive seal pressure in AM - even eating our anchovies and cut-plugs!) 1 went under boat wrapped around stuff on other side, one to laziness for not pulling up the gear on same side ( overconfident a bit we were), and one just broke off, finished day with a nice red spring, clean about 25 or so. Though we were cursed today, ( limited out by 2 PM - 2 weeks ago) ) but got a lucky 4 PM fish and finished off with 2 in the cooler. Was bit harder fishing today for us older gents. Tired as I write this up. As we had some really strong currents today running lines at weird angles, lots of bobbing about, and a bit windy, made day tiring and really had to work the gear, but still damn fun! Depths we hit most fish were 66 ( AM) to 100 ( midday) back higher in afternoon , mostly they were hitting on chartreuse glow flashers with chovies. Non-stop action all day long, fish on about every half hour. Might be last trip of year and was a fun closer. That was work though. Good luck all !
Thanks Willow-Bee , now this is a damn good report !!!!

One blast over the heads of a seal and they are gone for at least a couple hours. If they return a second time the next blast usually keeps them away for good.
BearBangers.jpg

Tough day at the cap. Nada brite and early Lots of boats. Moved around after tide. Got 2 pinks amongst the freighters then back to cap for low slack. 2 really good hits right at the mouth that didn’t stick. Saw only one netted.
Heard T10 was a strike out too.

Tough day at the cap. Nada brite and early Lots of boats. Moved around after tide. Got 2 pinks amongst the freighters then back to cap for low slack. 2 really good hits right at the mouth that didn’t stick. Saw only one netted.
Heard T10 was a strike out too.[/QUOT
Thanks for the update. I was feeling very frustrated knowing lots of boats by the Cap and I'm sitting here at the office, but now, I don't feel too bad. Hopefully, there are some decent fish around for Friday's derby.

Out since noon, NA, T10 and cap not a single bite. Not much action on the sounder either. The fish must have moved with the rain

Out since noon, NA, T10 and cap not a single bite. Not much action on the sounder either. The fish must have moved with the rain
Yep! Time to pull out the centre pin and put the freshly cured spring roe to some use....

Last edited:
Willow Bee, that's the boat name right ? Seen you out there many times , thanks for the report. What kind of boat is that?

Hey Normfish,

The Willow-Bee is 100% home-built, so not sure what "kind" that is, I guess "one of a kind" would be the correct answer :). It is a solid composite glass hull- not glass on wood, (home-built waxed mould) mostly by dad and then myself, with lots of helpers on various upgrades and rebuilt parts. Purposely built "family friendly" with high sides to keep the choppy west coast water out and the kids in, and the stern has a built in live-well, fish cleaning table, with a deck-hose. Has a sink, propane stove with oven , sleeps 4 and some of the comforts of home.

We come from a long-line of boat-builders, this is Grandpa: https://www.nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Gooldrup.php

My name is John, guess who I was named after!

See you on the water sir.

Where you get one of those and will anyone"mind" there use? Bit annoyed at our aquatic furry friends as of late.

Way more annoyed when whiskers rips off my gear. Sea lions dont seem to GAS but I'm definitely adding a bear banger rig into the kit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back