Status
Not open for further replies.
We got out late, lines in at Otter by 11. No springs so we went out into the deep. 5 coho down deep, 130 feet on the rigger. Nothing keepable, all wild.

We were out off Secretary in 300 ft, yesterday afternoon. Had about 12 hits on anchovies, good little thieves those coho are, a number of to the boat, most were hatchery but only 4 to 5 pounds. Kept one for dinner. 60 to 70 ft seemed most productive.

Out front of the harbour 7:00 am this morning. Dropped lines at 180ft and started trolling out. First coho hit before I even sat down so we stayed in pretty close working the drop off there. It payed off with a near 30# white spring an hour later. Tide eventually pushed us to otter where we got our biggest hatchery around 10# and finally our 6th to rub out around noon. Whales and dolphins everywhere today and perfectly calm. Released another 8-10 wild in the 8-12# range.

Out front of the harbour 7:00 am this morning. Dropped lines at 180ft and started trolling out. First coho hit before I even sat down so we stayed in pretty close working the drop off there. It payed off with a near 30# white spring an hour later. Tide eventually pushed us to otter where we got our biggest hatchery around 10# and finally our 6th to rub out around noon. Whales and dolphins everywhere today and perfectly calm. Released another 8-10 wild in the 8-12# range.
Wow! Stellar day Jama. A near tyee AND big hatchery coho on the same day, plus bigger unclipped than anyone has posted till now. Congrats to you and your crew.

Wow! Stellar day Jama. A near tyee AND big hatchery coho on the same day, plus bigger unclipped than anyone has posted till now. Congrats to you and your crew.
The coho was actually pretty funny. Got it in about 80ft of water off otter. I figured it was wild when I saw it as it was as big as the ones we released. The fish was going ballistic beside the boat so I thought I should bring the rigger all the wY up before it got tangled. I was stacking rods so I leaned over the side while holding the rod one handed to take off the release clip when the fish decided to swim at me. No word of a lie it jumped between the boat and downrigger line hit my hand and knocked the clip out of it and grazed my cheek!! That’s when I saw it was clipped. My dad and son were laughing so hard at me yelling the could barely bet it.

Out off the 500 ft .. yesterday ... 14 wild 1 hatch ... Walked to the cleaning station at cheanuh .. CO comes flying down the hill .. ' Whats in the cooler " ... I said nothing , my 1 fish is on the table , he checks it ..then the guy beside me is trying to get out of there ...CO says hey you I see a fin ... dump em out ...guy has 3 wild 1 hatch ... then the paper work begins ... guy tried to play stupid .. it worked ... the guy was stupid ... cost him BIG $$$$$$ .. a few of us thanked the CO... they are watching ... good on them

First post after learning a bunch from reading everyones helpful information sharing on here. Got out to Becher Bay yesterday from 2 ish til 6 ish. Got one hit right away off Aldridge Pt but got off, let my son try to reel in his first salmon and too much slack first try. Then got a nice hatchery coho (~5 lbs) shortly after that my 9 yr old son landed on his own, he was pretty excited when that came in the boat. Shortly after got another another wild that swam back to grow up. Got them on pink hoochie with chunk of herring on front hook down 50' in 250 to 300 FOW. Kept the hatchery for bbq then it got slow and my son got bored so we headed in for some rockfish jigging and maybe a bonus lingcod. Got into some nice rock fish and couple undersized lingcod that went back plus some bonus greenling, all in about 40-50 fow. knocked off cause had our count of rockfish. A great afternoon on the water with my son. He can't wait to get out again.

Went out solo today and fished Church Rock with a few other boats. No luck and I didn't see the other boats doing much so I decided to troll out deeper and see if I could find any coho. Fished deep out in front of Church and Beecher Bay and got into a some nice schools of Coho. Had four double headers and had a ton of fun by myself, lost track of how many fish I released. Most were about 4-5 lbs and lost one about 10 lbs right at the boat. The only two hatchery I got were very small, maybe 3 lbs so they went back too. I didn't come home with any fish but had a great day none the less. Fished anchovy on one side and a skinny G on the other, then switched both to a skinny G when things started to get crazy. Fished anywhere between 63 and 85 on the rigger and pretty much fished well away from any other boats all day.

Hung around secretary on saturday. Had 2 double headers, first pair were springs. Next was a low teens coho and mid teens spring. Thought the bite could be off with the previous rain but had steady action fishing.

Out yesterday with @sammyslabber. It wasn't really really hot until evening. Morning was SLOW. Guys out of Secretary were spread out far , and many were reporting getting one here or there.

The morning was looking for springs out in parking lot, and we had a few hits. Moved out for coho late morning around Secretary and then finished off end of day with limit of hatchery springs when we got out deeper water across for Becher Bay. We didn't find them until we fished lines way deeper from 100ft to 135ft. Safe to say nearly 80 percent of them are wild out there. We just lucked out with three hatchery in beginning.

Must say though worrisome of the sizes this year. Very very small. Almost look like summer run sizes. The biggest hatchery was probably pushing around 10. Most of these are 6-8lbs at an average. Saw a few guys with a nice 34 lb white spring at the cleaning table when we got back. Good day though....

70257862_10156405168477793_978626354436112384_n.jpg 70384039_10156405168562793_8997940151359373312_n.jpg 71094043_10156405168512793_2140708156701933568_o.jpg

Last edited:
Out yesterday with @sammyslabber. It wasn't really really hot until evening. Morning was SLOW. Guys out of Secretary were spread out far , and many were reporting getting one here or there.

The morning was looking for springs out in parking lot, and we had a few hits. Moved out for coho late morning around Secretary and then finished off end of day with limit of hatchery springs when we got out deeper water across for Becher Bay. We didn't find them until we fished lines way deeper from 100ft to 135ft. Safe to say nearly 80 percent of them are wild out there. We just lucked out with three hatchery in beginning.

Must say though worrisome of the sizes this year. Very very small. Almost look like summer run sizes. The biggest hatchery was probably pushing around 10. Most of these are 6-8lbs at an average. Saw a few guys with a nice 34 lb white spring at the cleaning table when we got back. Good day though....

View attachment 47920 View attachment 47921 View attachment 47922
looks like you were using an AP spoon.
may I ask which pattern and color was working best for you?
I'm heading over there next week and want to make sure I pack the right stuff.

looks like you were using an AP spoon.
may I ask which pattern and color was working best for you?
I'm heading over there next week and want to make sure I pack the right stuff.

It was lemon lime anchovy spoon. Anything in that color seems to always work for me. This year it was very good springs and even better up North. I have some other hootchies that are similar colour. It is really though about finding the school. I have noticed though the chartreuse/blue with a typical green/gold flasher combination seems to work well on coho. Similar to water colour.

It was lemon lime anchovy spoon. Anything in that color seems to always work for me. This year it was very good springs and even better up North. I have some other hootchies that are similar colour. It is really though about finding the school. I have noticed though the chartreuse/blue with a typical green/gold flasher combination seems to work well on coho. Similar to water colour.
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back