2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I planned to fish yesterday after work which meant everything has to be ready the night before because I'd only have a couple hours on the water. So I stayed up and tied two new teasers, loaded the boat, good to go.

It was flat calm when we got out, just a perfect evening for a fish. I baited my new anchovy head clipped the flasher on the rod and tossed it all into the water. Wait... wasn't the teaser attached to the flasher? Guess not... good thing I put extra effort in last night to get that ready.

Got the second one down a little smoother but then the boat driver promptly ran over some kelp. Great start.

So after much messing around we finally have two rods down and are fishing. First pass off the wall and Bing! Bing! Bing! three boats including us all hook up!

One guy lost his, ours was about 3 pounds and then we all got to watch the last boat have an excellent battle and net a nice fish.

The other boats all swooped in and we did a couple more passes ourselves without any results. As the sun went down it was time to troll for home.

This was probably the last after work fish for me this year and I reflected on what a great season it has been even though I didn't get out once before August. The boat smelled of skunk and I was looking forward to not having to clean a fish in the dark but the fish gods had other ideas.

My rod popped off the clip and I reeled down onto some big head shakes. Then a ways behind the boat my fish erupted out of the water and then decided to rush me. I managed to keep up and once the fish got a closer look at the boat it decided on a different plan and went on a couple nice runs. I don't think it mattered what tactic this fish chose, it had swallowed the hooks deep and soon found itself in the net.

Not sure if it was my biggest of the year but judging by the huge piles of roe I pulled out of her I think it was the heaviest.

What a great year and I didn't even bother driving to Sooke once.

Attachments

• salmon.jpg
    salmon.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 206
Call them whatever you like,their cookie cutter 5-6 pound fish.Had 1-8lb. and the wild coho,kept none.

Went out to constance and picked up a couple nice “late summer” feeders.lol. They were hatch and good size 6-7 lbs. My fav as well.
After the change went out towards border bank to try for coho. Didn’t even sound one.

JL

I timed it to hit the afternoon tide off the waterfront. Started at 1:15 and it was pretty slow going for a bit. Island outfitters boat had one on early, but lost it at the boat. Witnessed a few smaller ones caught.
So my sons girlfriends parents were over from the mainland so he was my guest on Lime Ricky today. At 3:00 we had our first and only hit. The rookie landed his first ever salmon. I never get tired of the smile after they land their first salmon. A nice 17# red male. Had to meet up with the rest of the family, so off the water by 4:00

Attachments

• 2CCD18C5-3081-4913-913F-F0EB47A726AC.png
    2CCD18C5-3081-4913-913F-F0EB47A726AC.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Constance from 230 to 530, must have been trolling too slow got 3 lings. Moved gear off the bottom and kicked up the speed. Boom big hit a run for japan and gone in a long line release :( no way was i giving up. Kept playing around with speed and depth and blam 8.5lb on the dot hatch coho. Woohoo!!! Decided lets troll all the way home, on the oakbay side of constance got into another nice coho the twin to the first. 2 hatch coho, a lost one and released 2 wilds woohoo!!!! And man was i glad that fog lifted when we went out. What a great trip on the water. Felt good and just in time too, the rain started as we just finished cleaning the fish and boat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back