2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm... No-Not Even Close.

There was a flurry mid July and that's all she wrote.

My August report says 3 long hard days not one landing net seen anywhere and maybe 2 Spring Salmon in the cleaning shack at Moutcha-it was dead.

I was up in nootka in the 2nd week of August and fishing seemed pretty good for a bunch of people. Moutcha fish processing plant was always busy when we dropped fish off.

We ended up with our limit on springs between 4 guys in 3 days of fishing. We fished mostly at hoiss for the morning bite and would get 3 or 4 there fairly easily before it cooled off.

Big thing for us this year was using lures weve never had to use there before. This was our 4th year in a row and limited out in 3 of them. Hot lure was a friends glow spoon where in past years it was all achovies and glow hoochies. We also fished deeper this year than in the past(60-80 feet)

Not sure what week you were up there but maybe we just got lucky.

I agree with PEF assessment as I was in esperanza all summer-late june early july I made a few runs down to Nootka (wx in Esperanza) and did ok at Beano,macquinna ,wash and Burwood . Aug was another thing altogether. Made guiding more a job of managing expectation and getting fish.

The June and early July fishing was great and the 3rd week in July was also hot for about a week. The early august and mid august were fairly spotty compared to prior years. There were fish in certain spots but not all over the inlet in the beginning of August like normal. I would say the fish farms do have a negative affect for sure, how much is hard to say. I think the closure of commercial offshore fishing early in the year attributed to the hot fishing in late June, early July. I personally think that is why the 3rd week of july was good then it died out, the commercial openings happened and the fish in nookta dwindled. I think the trollers have a bigger effect on population than many think. Also the gillnet openings always seem to wipe out the sound for some time when they let those guys have at it. I wish they would at least limit the boats a bit. It was crazy this year.

Overall it was a better year than the last 3 or 4 fishing in the area, I still wish for it to be like it was 15 or 20 years ago though. Nice to see lots of coho again.

We fished Nootka the Aug long weekend for 6 days, it was the best its been in the last few years for sure. Some of the usual spots were quiet but if you found the fish it was fairly productive. Anchovies did most of the damage for us. There was some bigger fish around this year as well. Heres a quick vid of our annual trip to the west coast! Counting down the days till next year already

Great video of you and your family having a fabulous fishing trip together......"Reel" nice.....

Reactions: DDT
Fishing isn't quite over in Esperanza. Some calm winds for a change allowed offshore access for some nice Halibut, and our 5th tyee of the year, a 31lb white. There was also a 27lb fish so some big ones are still out there. All fish were caught offshore, the salmon all on anchovies 180 to 220 in close to 300 feet of water.

Attachments

• 20190907_161650.jpg
    20190907_161650.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 166
We fished Nootka the Aug long weekend for 6 days, it was the best its been in the last few years for sure. Some of the usual spots were quiet but if you found the fish it was fairly productive. Anchovies did most of the damage for us. There was some bigger fish around this year as well. Heres a quick vid of our annual trip to the west coast! Counting down the days till next year already

Love the video DDT, looks like you guys had a good trip this year. Great to see families out together and hold on and cherish these days with the little ones because before you know it they are grown and gone and busy lives take over and it’s rare you can all get out together.
That wife of yours knows what she’s doing in the boat and handles herself like a pro that’s awesome you don’t see that in a lot of women and what a girl getting out there with you and handling the little ones all together, great stuff my man.

Thanks i agree 100% having everyone together makes these trips that much more special. As a kid i couldn't wait till it was time to go back to nootka sound every year. Now i get to see the same excitement in my own kids. Its a special place to me and holds lots of good memories now its my turn to make some for my kids

Love the video DDT, looks like you guys had a good trip this year. Great to see families out together and hold on and cherish these days with the little ones because before you know it they are grown and gone and busy lives take over and it’s rare you can all get out together.
That wife of yours knows what she’s doing in the boat and handles herself like a pro that’s awesome you don’t see that in a lot of women and what a girl getting out there with you and handling the little ones all together, great stuff my man.
Thank you for sharing your experience and the beautiful video. love to see when the the entire family fish together.

Article says three non-resident people. I sure hope they aren't Americans, as a Washingtonian myself, my family and I love coming up and fishing as the conservation and hatchery efforts in BC are far superior. It would be a smudge on the reputation of WA state fishermen like my family. I don't see any registration on the boat but I think I remember seeing this boat around in early August, Cutwater boats are very popular in the San Juans of Washington
Ou33gSA.png

Yes, another season is behind us. Sad but true. This season concludes my 32nd year fishing Esperanza and my second season staying at Port Eliza Lodge. I can’t think of another area I would rather fish or a better, more affordable lodge to stay. The new owners Jim, Susan and Robert are the most cordial folks you will find. Their location is the ultimate, closest to the ocean of any lodge and 10 minutes from the local hotspots. Every few days I rotate family and friends coming up for fishing and all want to cram in fishing time. We fished every evening after the 5:30 pm dinner bell and caught Springs every single night in table top flat water. You can fish right up till a few minutes until dark and be back to the lodge. This season was another excellent year with tons of great Springs, Hali and Lings. If the water is not good for offshore Esperanza has tons of inshore fishing areas that produce. Or you can run around the corner and fish the Kyuquot shallows of Grassy Island and Rugged Point. Other guests and the lodge owners are excellent in giving up their best spots. I do the same so send me a link if you want some waypoints or what the best lures were this season. Thank you all for making my family, friends and myself feel so welcome and treating us as your family. Everyone we have met, whether its other guests or staff are so nice it feels really sad when you have to leave. A motor issue cut my season short but not without first creating some memories not to be forgotten. I am already feeling the withdrawals and can’t wait to see you all again next season. Thanks again and best wishes for a wonderful upcoming holiday season, Mike

Yes, another season is behind us. Sad but true. This season concludes my 32nd year fishing Esperanza and my second season staying at Port Eliza Lodge. I can’t think of another area I would rather fish or a better, more affordable lodge to stay. The new owners Jim, Susan and Robert are the most cordial folks you will find. Their location is the ultimate, closest to the ocean of any lodge and 10 minutes from the local hotspots. Every few days I rotate family and friends coming up for fishing and all want to cram in fishing time. We fished every evening after the 5:30 pm dinner bell and caught Springs every single night in table top flat water. You can fish right up till a few minutes until dark and be back to the lodge. This season was another excellent year with tons of great Springs, Hali and Lings. If the water is not good for offshore Esperanza has tons of inshore fishing areas that produce. Or you can run around the corner and fish the Kyuquot shallows of Grassy Island and Rugged Point. Other guests and the lodge owners are excellent in giving up their best spots. I do the same so send me a link if you want some waypoints or what the best lures were this season. Thank you all for making my family, friends and myself feel so welcome and treating us as your family. Everyone we have met, whether its other guests or staff are so nice it feels really sad when you have to leave. A motor issue cut my season short but not without first creating some memories not to be forgotten. I am already feeling the withdrawals and can’t wait to see you all again next season. Thanks again and best wishes for a wonderful upcoming holiday season, Mike

Thanks for the Kind words Mike, we look forward to seeing you, your family and friends again next summer, and hope the engine problems the Callie Anne experienced are not repeated!
All the best , Robert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back