2019 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hamley was good to us yesterday. 14 lb at 0930 then a 5 lb that was released easily. Went back again today but just two shakers. Moved to Coal at tide change but no love. Only a few boats out.

Fished powder warf yesterday from 6-8am. Got a nice 17lb wild and a 8lb hatchery, released a couple around 5lbs. Anchovy only had 1 hit and it was the 17lber

I gave it an old school Stizzla effort last evening.

It started with a guy pointing and laughing at me as I pulled into the launch. I didn’t tighten my drags when my rods were on the boat for transport to the dock. that meant a bunch of lost line, swivels and beads.

Tried powder wharf and it was a salad bar out there. Pulling up the lines non stop. my dad was steering as I was tying some new leaders and my instruction was to avoid weeds. In his defence I guess I should’ve mentioned not to hit crab traps as well, because I peeked up and saw a float 5 feet from my port side. Lost my flasher and spoon but salvaged my lead.
Cmon dad!

Then we went around the point where it was cleaner water and got a small one and released it.
Then I packed up and met gham at the spit and hit a couple small ones right away. Then the currents were heavy and it got dark. No meat for us

A22D5B6B-6654-4FCA-AAD6-083A792280F5.jpeg

Any reports about coho fishing in Sidney? I heart of sooke is hot now, and some fishing is coming to constance bank, and not sure when and where the fish will be around Sidney?
Cheers,

Out for a morning fish today off of South Pender. Actually a really nice day as there was no wind and the currents were pretty reasonable. Dropped in around 9 and there were 4 humpbacks feeding in the area. We avoided them and trolled for a few hours. The bite seem to come on about an hour after tide change, just as it went slack, and we started to hit Coho. Mainly wilds but we manage to find two clipped hatchery keepers. AP spoon and anchovies were the ticket. Finished up around noon.

Out for a morning fish today off of South Pender. Actually a really nice day as there was no wind and the currents were pretty reasonable. Dropped in around 9 and there were 4 humpbacks feeding in the area. We avoided them and trolled for a few hours. The bite seem to come on about an hour after tide change, just as it went slack, and we started to hit Coho. Mainly wilds but we manage to find two clipped hatchery keepers. AP spoon and anchovies were the ticket. Finished up around noon.
Thank you for sharing the report. Do you mind to mention the depth for both downrigger and chart? Cheers,

Finally got my boat back from the yard after a long summer of mishaps,yesterday . Tried south of Coal and marked tons of bait but no hits. Moved over to try Moresby and see if it was any better but ended up catching one shaker after another so I packed it in. Was looking at the open area between Moresby and Pender for possible pinks or Coho. Anyone had any luck there?

Finally got my boat back from the yard after a long summer of mishaps,yesterday . Tried south of Coal and marked tons of bait but no hits. Moved over to try Moresby and see if it was any better but ended up catching one shaker after another so I packed it in. Was looking at the open area between Moresby and Pender for possible pinks or Coho. Anyone had any luck there?
My only coho caught around Sidney (excluding Pender Island) has been straight off Fairfax way out in the deep (600+ If I recall). Also got a 13lb chinook in the process, so can't complain. That was 2 years ago.

The steep drop off South East of Hambley looks intriguing, but haven't fished there.

My only coho caught around Sidney (excluding Pender Island) has been straight off Fairfax way out in the deep (600+ If I recall). Also got a 13lb chinook in the process, so can't complain. That was 2 years ago.

The steep drop off South East of Hambley looks intriguing, but haven't fished there.
I tried the deep off hamley yesterday for a few hours with a whole lot of nothin’!

Then went to the spit and got two shakers and called the game in the top of the seventh due to rain. I actually enjoyed it out there!

2ADBEF0C-3C53-40D9-913F-44763AEA15E0.jpeg 71211B93-46D3-4E81-B378-F6B52CC118A3.jpeg 9A84F314-63DA-4AD1-A35F-26559C982F13.jpeg

I haven't fished the area in quite awhile but we used to pick up Coho about half way between North Pender and Moresby in late September/early October. The Pinks always seemed to be closer in, near the bluffs. You should be able to stay outside of the "no go" zone.

Fished the spit and south pender today. Had a coho to the boat at south pender. Hit the spoon hard and fought all the way to the net where it shook off. Was down about 75 on that line 90 on the other. Trolled for another hour. Went in and fished closer to bottom...caught a ling of all things. Then packed it in. Lots of porpoises out there and seals chasing small salmon around. I'm hoping that's a sign of some coho coming through.

Also gave south pender a try on we'd never fished there before no luck for me hopefully they show up

Tried for Halibut on backside of Sidney Island but Nada.

Have you ever had any luck with the hali in sidney?

The East side of Zero Rock off Cordova Bay all along that reef in 200' or so of water is normally a good spot as well as South of Kelp Reef well off the end of James Island all the way down to Chatham Island. (Oak Bay)
Fishing depth is generally 200 to 250'. Sandy bottom.
I had a friend who got one a few years ago right off the spit in 80' of water while keeping his eye on his crab traps....but that was a one off as far as I know.
I have not had a halibut in those waters the odd time we went out that way over the last two years, but was very good before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back